Author Topic: What kind of job could I do?  (Read 29761 times)

Offline Hp291

• Sly
What kind of job could I do?
« on: May 29, 2008, 08:56:58 PM »
Ever since I went bald, I left the workforce. It's been a long time. Work I have done has been from home with computers. I'd like to go back to the workforce and start something in terms of a career. Looking back, I wish I had majored in business but I didn't. I did minor in it though. I don't just want some "job". I want something I can be happy doing and can move up well in.

But at the same time, I isolated myself and have ZERO connections. Family is non-existant also. I'm all alone in this search.

And the reason I say I want to be happy doing it is because I don't want to dwell on my lack of hair the whole time. I have absolutely no idea what I want to do or what I can do. I thought about going back to school but I am mid 30's with nothing saved up so I don't want to owe a ton of money and not know if I will follow through with it.

Yes I know pretty freakin pathetic.

Any ideas would be helpful.....

GASlick

Re: What kind of job could I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:58:44 PM »
Ever considered sales?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 12:00:29 AM »
I see a lot of Sly guys in sales.  Me included.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

GASlick

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 12:07:08 AM »
Me too.  Its a very distinguishing attribute.  Speaking of sales Tyler, did the silicone bracelets go by the wayside?

Offline yak

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 06:43:38 AM »
HP291 your not pathetic...what are your hobbies and interest?  Online they have some career profile test that can help point you into a job that you would be happiest.  The good test are not cheap but may be worth it if it helps you find a career path that you enjoy.

Being sly doesn't hinder your career...it actually I think helps.  You get remembered.

Good Luck!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 06:51:59 AM »
Thats a tough one bro.  Sounds like you are searching for some outside people contact.  Working from home can be lonesome at times.  To me, I wouldnt be happy in an office where I didnt have interactions with people thru out the day.  Im a people person, but there are some people who would rather not deal one on one with people.   Where is it that you live?  The reason I say this is a tough one is because some people are happy working behind a grill flippin burgers, some need something more challenging.  It all depends on what your interest are.  If you decide to work in sales, you have to have that connection to your everyday person.  Im am in sales and there are many of times I have to bite my tongue  until that person leaves and then I just go off.  The general public most of the time...they are just stupid.  So find out what your interest are and go from there. 

Timmay

Offline Hp291

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 09:30:22 AM »
Yes I have but sales wasn't/isn't my thing.

I have taken those career tests. Hobbies? Sports, exercise. I go to movies. I am very good with a computer but I don't enjoy it at all. I'd love to work with a pro sports team on the business side if I could but I dont have the connects for that.

When you are bald and VERY insecure about it, it's hard to just go out and be yourself. I know others can do it but I haven't been able to. Been to therapy for years and it doesn't help because nothing someone tells me can change how I feel about myself.

I live in NYC. I can't move thought. Image is pretty big here let me tell you.

Yak, thanks for the nice words but I do know I am pathetic. I mean I have let hairloss destroy my life completely for many years. I barely step outside much less have a life.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 10:49:06 AM »
You gotta wanna help yourself first bro..before anyone can help you.

Offline Hp291

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 11:16:33 AM »
You gotta wanna help yourself first bro..before anyone can help you.

Yes I know but i feel the way i do. It just doesn't seem to want to "go away" no matter what I do. Growing up in a completely abusive house hasn't helped my self esteem but it wouldn't be an issue if I hadn't lost all my hair so rapidly. My self image went from pretty bad to non existant, you know?

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 11:53:37 AM »
sounds like you are using baldness as an excuse to throw up your arms and give up.

To me, its like a beautiful woman staying home because her boobs are not big enough or she has some wrinkles.

Sorry, but I have a hard time feeling a lot of sympathy for you if your main obstacle is hair loss. I have been through it, so have many on this board, and about 1 in 5 men in the world. Allowing this to stop you from living life or pursuing a career you want to pursue is a crime to yourself and to the career, friends, connections, colleagues and experiences that are waiting for you.

Everyone has their share of problems, and life isnt fair, but you only go around once man... better make the most of it because the only thing worse than fear is regret. If you dont overcome your fears and inhibitions, you have a lot of regret heading your way.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Hp291

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 12:07:48 PM »
Not looking for sympathy man. Just saying how it is and how it's been.From a practical sense, I agree with you.

I just don't have the type of emotional personality to be out there and feel comfortable. Or at least not yet. No being bald is just the tip of the iceberg but it IS what is keeping me from being productive out there.

So other than sales, anything else out there?

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »
First and foremost...you need to look at yourself and say the hell with it.  This IS ME!  It is obvious that you dotn find being bald unattractive when you see other guys.  So there is some acceptance there.  I know this may sound raw...but damn dude ....get out and enjoy life.  Lets say you had some sort of health issue and you lost all of your hair and the dr's said you had a year to live.  You gonna lock yourself up in the house and say your life is over?  I know I wouldnt..but that is what you have done to yourself bro.  If you want support on this...its here bro...but you have to want it.   Build your self confidence up and then look for a job, because if your confidence is low...then your personality will soon follow.  Dont give up bro.
Timmay

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 12:28:34 PM »
Not looking for sympathy man. Just saying how it is and how it's been.From a practical sense, I agree with you.

I just don't have the type of emotional personality to be out there and feel comfortable. Or at least not yet. No being bald is just the tip of the iceberg but it IS what is keeping me from being productive out there.

So other than sales, anything else out there?

Yes, but are you looking for jobs you can do from home?

Or are you willing to go out in the world and take on a challenge. It is difficult to recomend a job when you have given us limited info and most of that is you dont want to intermingle with others.

What do you do for fun?

What skills do you have (other than computers).

Do you want to work with your hands, back or brain?

You said you have a minor in business, what did you major in?

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline yak

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 12:44:20 PM »
it's just hair....it's not like you got your wang cut off....(or did you..)  j/k

you have to be comfortable with yourself.  Baldness today is becoming more of an image and more mainstream then when many of us started.  I see Bald executives, actors, game show host, doctors, nurses ext.. the possibilities are endless. ...

Offline Hp291

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »
No I don't want to work from home. I am willing to try going out there but it has to be something I want to do so my mind can be sort of distracted you know?

Yes I know it's just hair. It's not about that. There is a long backstory to this but my self esteem was always low. My whole life because every day I would hear at home how I was worthless and nothing. The only thing I had any confidence in was looking ok most days (had nice hair). In a matter of 2 years it all went away. And I couldn't handle it. There are people out there who make comments and look (ive seen it a millon times) and I don't want to be in that "spotlight". It's like hell to me.

Yes I occasionally see bald guys around. What doesn't help me is being a white guy with fair skin. I'm also very tall so I stand out already.

What kind of work do I want? Something I'll love and has a chance to distract me and make a pretty good living. Physical work is out because I have physical injuries like crazy (having back spasms right now as we speak).

For fun, I play sports (when I'm not hurt) and I work out (when not hurt). I go to movies and stuff. Reading is not something I do for fun because I have slight ADD when I try to read it's frustrating. I know computers (software and web stuff) but I don't "enjoy it". My absolute favorite thing in the world is sports (playing/watching). If I could have my way, I would work with one of the local pro teams in some business/marketing capacity like I said. But I don't have that sort of connection to get in there. I'd love it I think though.