Author Topic: I DID IT  (Read 6238 times)

Offline steviejosey

• Learning the way of Sly
I DID IT
« on: January 01, 2007, 06:20:51 AM »
I SHAVED MY HEAD ON NEW YEARS EVE AND IT LOOKS GREAT AND MY WIFE AND

KIDS LOVE IT, I USED MY NORMAL SHAVING GEL AND A MACH 3 IT TOOK 15

MINUTES FROM START TO FINISH I STARTED SHAVING THE FRONT AND SIDES AND

YES I DID GET A COUPLE OF NICKS THEN MY WIFE SHAVED THE SIDES AND BACK.

IT WAS EASY AND PAINLESS.

I JUST WANT TO FINISH BY SAYING I WOULD NOT HAVE SHAVED IF I HAD NOT READ

THE COMENTS  ON THIS SITE SO THANKS. 

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: I DID IT
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 06:36:10 AM »
Well, there you go, Stevie!!  That's great that you have the support of your family.  I envy you.

How's it feel?  sensory overload?  Way to go, man.

I still have a bit of a wait before I shave mine.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 06:48:42 AM »
I have a question for the gang:

I _RARELY_ nick myself when I shave my face.  Is it different with the noggin?  I can imagine that the angles are different...as well as the technique.

But is there something unique--and perhaps unavoidable--about the relationship between blade and scalp whereby you have to be more cautious and wary?

thanks, dude mans

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 12:24:26 PM »
Do you remember how careful you were the first time you shaved your face? Hell, neither do I. But anyway, when I shaved my head the first time, I was careful, but now after four weeks, I'm going faster and am less concerned.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 12:49:27 PM »
Congrats steviejosie!!!  It makes me very happy to know that this site helped you so much!!  This was the first post I read in the New Year, so thanks for making my New Year start off so great!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

spaceape48

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 01:25:25 PM »
Do you remember how careful you were the first time you shaved your face? Hell, neither do I. But anyway, when I shaved my head the first time, I was careful, but now after four weeks, I'm going faster and am less concerned.

Yep, hear you there. I shaved for the third time yesterday, and because I was in a rush got knicked a few times.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 03:12:13 PM »
  ;D ;Happy New Year, Stevie, congrats, and welcome. You did it with dash and style--as well as the support of your family. The SBGs played a significant part in my own decision to shave it all off on November 4th. Have been getting happier with that decision ever since. In time, the pre-bald image will seem as alien as the bald one did in the first couple of weeks. The guys  can identify with any doubts you may have and provide shaving and product insights. All best in 2007. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »
congrats. bro. the nicks will be less frequent with time. you should also get more comfy shaving. practice makes perfect. keep it up.    Paul

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 06:28:08 PM »
  ; In time, the pre-bald image will seem as alien as the bald one did in the first couple of weeks. The guys  can identify with any doubts you may have and provide shaving and product insights.

Boy, is that the truth.  I saw a guy with a thick mop of hair on TV the other day, and was thinking that it had been a long time since I had that much hair on my head -- probably about six or seven years (3 years of shaving preceded by 3 or 4 years of short buzzes).  And it occurred to me that I really can't remember what it felt like to have all that hair, and if I suddenly had it all back, I think it would be very difficult to get used to.

Welcome to the group and congratulations on your wise decision to shave.

Offline ShineyLid

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 06:43:29 PM »

I _RARELY_ nick myself when I shave my face.  Is it different with the noggin?  I can imagine that the angles are different...as well as the technique.

But is there something unique--and perhaps unavoidable--about the relationship between blade and scalp whereby you have to be more cautious and wary?

thanks, dude mans

I've only shaved once, will be shaving again tonight.  I didn't find it difficult at all, doing the top of my head (against the grain) was just slightly nerve wrecking.  The sides which seems most dread, I found extremely easy.  I can only guess it depends on skin [type] and precisely which way the hair goes (which creates the "tug"/resistance which is the nerve wrecking part of it all in my opinion).  The back I found very easy as well, not as easy as the sides because, well, its the back and cannot see what I'm doing.  The left side of my head wasn't as fun, only because I'm right handed and use only my right hand to shave, I wouldn't trust my left hand to save my life.

Angle and pressure, just as shaving the face I would imagine.  I'm no seasoned pro of course, just my opinion on a single shave thusfar.

I cant wait for my HeadLube, HeadShed and ClearHead to arrive.  I dont think I'll need the ClearHead, but, I do have two small bumps on the back of my head and I do not know if they were there before I shaved or not.  <shrug>

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 12:14:31 PM »
Congrats, Stevie!  Great decision.  Glad to hear you like it and we helped you there.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 04:57:04 PM »
I SHAVED MY HEAD ON NEW YEARS EVE AND IT LOOKS GREAT AND MY WIFE AND

KIDS LOVE IT, I USED MY NORMAL SHAVING GEL AND A MACH 3 IT TOOK 15

MINUTES FROM START TO FINISH I STARTED SHAVING THE FRONT AND SIDES AND

YES I DID GET A COUPLE OF NICKS THEN MY WIFE SHAVED THE SIDES AND BACK.

IT WAS EASY AND PAINLESS.

I JUST WANT TO FINISH BY SAYING I WOULD NOT HAVE SHAVED IF I HAD NOT READ

THE COMENTS  ON THIS SITE SO THANKS. 

AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!

CAN YA HEAR EM?!?!

STEVIE! STEVIE! STEVIE!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 07:36:50 PM »

thanks, dude mans

The difference is going against the grain.    As someone who had thick dark hair, it takes multiple passes for me to get the against the grain close to perfectly smooth.    Basically, I go front/back/sides with the grain.   Then I do all of them against it, once.    Then I go sideways on all sides.    Then I feel around and see if some spots are too rough for my liking and I attack from all angles in that area.   However, I can do that since I use an electric wet/dry shaver.   So it's not going to grab my stubble or anything.

Then rinse with cold water look in the mirror at the front because I get a snowish white/gray shadow and try to get some areas I can see shadow.  Then use my nivea aftershave and we are done.   

But if you feel while shaving, you will notice any irregularities.   
bald for life

Enter your email address: