Author Topic: Thinking about taking the plunge - Just need the Guts to do it!  (Read 42697 times)

Offline DS314

• Learning the way of Sly
I've been bald on top since age 24.  At age 35 I was laid off and bought a hair piece.  Believe it or not it looks real.  I will be 44 in July and I'm sick of dealing with the hair pieces. I go through about 4 of them per year.  My hair on the sides is getting grayer and my ego is lowering so I do not feel it's such a big deal now to go bald.  However I'm kind of wussing about doing it because of work.  I have hair now and one day I just show up totally shave except for my goatee.  Has anyone out there wore a hairpiece and how did you explain just going bald.  I'm sure at first there would be some talk but after a month or so myself and others would get use to it.

DS314

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Thinking about taking the plunge - Just need the Guts to do it!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:55:38 PM »
Just take a deep breath and do it.  The first few moments after you show up to work completely bald might be a little awkward, but not nearly as awkward as you may think they will be.  Everybody worries about reactions at work, and 99 times out of 100 the reaction is positive or neutral.  It's well worth a few moments of awkwardness for the lifetime of freedom you will gain instead.

If your piece is natural looking and no one can tell, then no one will ever need to know.  A lot of guys shave full heads of hair because they like the bald look.  Just say you're one of them.  It's nobody's business anyway, and the truth is, most people don't really care that much.

We've all been where you are and know how scary it can be.  But we'll all tell you that we felt better afterwards, and when we look back, we wonder what we were so afraid of and why it took us so long to do it.  You're 44.  Shave and you'll look 34. 

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:20:30 PM »
as most here will tell you, "we are our own worst critic."  dude, just go for it. you will feel better and it will not be a real big deal at all. let us know how it goes.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline handlebar

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:34:57 PM »
I will tell you what i did: I grow A LOT of hair. Hair is something generous in my gene makeup.
After going bald for a Leukemia benefit last year i "discovered" something that makes me feel great and wish,in some ways,that i had been bald since school.
So if us guys that can grow hair can do it and be proud,so can you my friend!!
At least you won't have to shave your melon twice a day like i do.THAT can be a pain but i'm happy to do it.
The only downfall is going through razors often.
I think the Headblade folks are going to like me with my monthly orders  ;D ;D

Shave it and let us know how it goes.

Jim

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 06:36:37 AM »
It doesn't take guts, just a razor.

You may or may not get a few comments from your friends, family, and co-workers at first but you might be surprised how many of them are positive or just question why you did it.

It's your head so do what you want and what makes you happy.
Mason

Linux: because a pc is a terrible thing to waste.

What do you mean guys don't knit????

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 10:57:16 AM »
I've been bald on top since age 24.  At age 35 I was laid off and bought a hair piece.  Believe it or not it looks real.  I will be 44 in July and I'm sick of dealing with the hair pieces. I go through about 4 of them per year.  My hair on the sides is getting grayer and my ego is lowering so I do not feel it's such a big deal now to go bald.  However I'm kind of wussing about doing it because of work.  I have hair now and one day I just show up totally shave except for my goatee.  Has anyone out there wore a hairpiece and how did you explain just going bald.  I'm sure at first there would be some talk but after a month or so myself and others would get use to it.

DS314

Go for it bro!  You'll feel a thousand ton hair piece lifted off of your head and freedom will be upon you.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 11:21:01 AM »
Just go for it bro! You will not regret it and it will grow back! Quick! Take the plunge then post some pics and tell us all about it!
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:16:54 AM »
Trust me when I say go for it. You'll be care free and stress free once you take it down to nada.
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 10:23:49 AM »
You won't regret it, and people will notice, but you don't have to tell them you were balding or anything.  Just say you were sick of hair, which IS after all the truth, isn't it?  Everyone here will tell you the same thing over and over again, that it's probably one of the most liberating things you can do, but remember, the choice is up to you, and you alone.  You said it yourself though, going bald is no big deal anymore, so really it sounds as though you've already decided.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 11:14:08 AM »
maybe just confronting the situation "head" on and coming "clean" will work for you. I don't know what you are like or if you have the type of personality that when asked can just say "Yeah, I wore a hairpiece and now I dont".

That is pretty much what I would do, after that there really isn't much anyone can say.

You will most likely find that the reactions you receive will be far more subtle then you imagine.

Either way, like everyone else has said, you wont regret doing it.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 07:47:33 PM »
I've lost track of how many times I've said this, but it bears repeating.  Almost every day I see anywhere from six to a dozen sly guys on the street -- average Joes, most of them wearing suits and 99% of them have a shadow that reveals that they've got MPB.  I have yet to see one that looked so bad that I thought the guy needed to grow his hair back ASAP.  That's not to say there aren't ugly bald guys out there -- there are -- but they're usually ugly for reasons unrelated to hair or lack thereof.

In this day and age, if there's anybody who stands out and looks out of place, it's a guy under the age of 50 with MPB who hasn't shaved his head.  Honest.   O:O

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:02:49 PM »
I wore rugs for many years, spending big $$ to have them hand-made with Italian hair.  They looked as good as rugs can look.  But, as much as you think others can't tell, they really can.   Tear that fur hat off your head, my friend, and free yourself of the ongoing burden and restrictions that accompany it.

Believe me, I had a hard time getting the guts to tear if off and start shaving.  The guys on here convinced me to go for it.  My wife had been begging me to do it for 2 years, but after 2 weeks in here I went for it.

I was freaking out about going to work that first day but it ended up being completely uneventful.  I was prepared to just come clean with anyone that asked about my former rug, but it never came up.  I ended up getting many more compliments than expected, and especially from some very hot women.  Eliminating all of the restrictions that came with the rug has truly changed my life.  I really should have done this much sooner.   

Tear it off and shave ....  You definitely won't regret it.

Andrew
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Uncle Fester

• Fester says...
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 04:02:30 PM »
no guts necessary...
When I'm dead and gone, no one will give a rat's ass about what kind of car I drove or what kind of house I lived in.  All that will matter is that I positively impacted the life of a child.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »
this is true.

marty22

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 05:07:45 PM »
You're right Handlebar. Adn btw-I wish I had been bald and over with it since I started thinning at 21.