Author Topic: I asked this question in the Women's Corner but...  (Read 4223 times)

Offline twistoffate

• Learning the way of Sly
I asked this question in the Women's Corner but...
« on: May 23, 2008, 09:15:25 PM »
...I could use some words of wisdom so I hope its OK that I post here too :)

I have four amazing brothers, all incredibly successful and attractive but one has been forced to shave his head (ultimate hair loss due to massive stress, emotional issues) and he is NOT dealing with it very well. Add that to going through a divorce, trying to sell a business, needing to lose a bunch of weight and well, this is a guy in a bad spot. I stay in touch with him daily, hoping to offer a shoulder and some objective counsel, but can you suggest anything, other than reinforcing that "chicks did bald guys" that I can share with him?

We are exactly where we are in our lives or we'd be somewhere else.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: I asked this question in the Women's Corner but...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 05:29:20 AM »
Yes, encourage him to check out this site for himself.  The encouragement and support he will get here could be a great help to him.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:40:46 AM »
Yep, perhaps this site could help him with some positive thoughts about being sly.
Mason

Linux: because a pc is a terrible thing to waste.

What do you mean guys don't knit????

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 09:11:49 PM »
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  I'd let him know that times like this help build strength that will provide success for the future.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline barberette

• barberette
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 09:20:22 PM »
Well hun, Im one of those girls that REALLY  dig bald guys.. I have a few girlfriends that love them as well..wish I could tell him to be ok with it because of that.. but he has to feel comfortable in  his own skin. Let him know that there are plenty of girls out there that love em..in fact when a bald man walks by I break my neck to watch him until he is out of sight, Im quite obsessed, just because he has a bald head.
If youre not living on the edge..youre taking up far too much room.

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 10:10:21 PM »
Welcome.

With all that is going on in his life right now, and so much of it negative, he probably views the loss of hair as just another thing that has "gone wrong". 

At this point, he is probably not likely to look for "the bright side" of it just as he is not likely to look for the bright side of divorce because he is lumping it all together, and probably feels like his whole life is all falling apart.

When you say he was "forced" to shave his head, it sounds like you are conveying the feelings and his mood.  For him, it was not a positive thing. 

Your best course of action at this point is to be there for him.  I hope that you can help him through his trying time.  At this point in time, the knowledge that a lot of women like bald guys is probably going to ring hollow in his ears.  He has bigger problems to worry about.

Some of us have gone sly in response to physical conditions, so we can relate to a degree, so feel free to suggest he talk to us.  That is the reason Tyler started this board, so we can all talk it over.  This is a very supportive group.

Offline Jdogs Better Half

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 01:01:12 AM »
I guess the best thing you can do for him is just to be there for him in the moment, he has a lot going on and has his on processes he needs to work through, these guys here are super supportive but it is probably something he needs to feel his way through, in his own time.

It's hard watching someone you love hurting isn't it, you seem like a very caring sister!

Offline no1birdman

• No Jokes
  • Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 03:00:10 AM »
Hi, I bet a lot of the guys on here have experienced the same thing.I have, and the best advice i can offer is try not to leave him on his own, tell him to let it go, if someone does not want to be with u, it does not necessary make them a bad person but there journey on the road of life has tacken a different road.I know it is hard to accept but u have to let it go.Tell him if it has tits or wheels  u will certanly have trouble with it sooner or laterLOL. Try to get him to go to the gym, lose a bit of weight get a tan, a earing or 2 his confidence will in time come back, dont rush into a ouick relationship there are thousands out there for him to experience, Hope he goes on ok

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 11:05:09 AM »
I really wish there was something that could be said or done to help those that are dealing with balding. Calling attention to it or blatant sympathy seems to only make things worse.

The bottom line is, until they come to the realization that it is just as much a part of who you are as having brown eyes or flat feet... you cant change it. You can hide it, you can lie about it, you can fool others into thinking that you have a mane of hair with surgery and rugs, but all in all, you are who you are and you are, the one person you cant hide from or lie to.

Other than the love and support you would give normally, the only thing that can help in a situation like this is to allow them to come to terms with it. For some it is easy, some it takes half a lifetime but showing them unconditional love and support is the key and it seems like you are doing a great job at that.

Everyone has low points... some allow these low points to define who we are... others use them as a low tide marker to reference where we have been.

The sin is not to fall, the sin is to not get back up.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline dagenhamjim

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 05:43:23 AM »
Hi so sorry to hear about your Brother, good thing about it is he is not the first and defo wont be the last. A lot of us on this sight shave because we went through the same thing as your Brother and some just shave cos they love the look.
One thing about this sight, is we are all Brothers, hope you will keep us posted about your Brother and hope the divorce etc is not to painful for him (i,ve been through two, owwc lol)

Jim
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/users_178/894604/sampeb1a5324eb47c66d.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed height="0" width="0" src="http://counters.gigya.com/wild

BALDANDRE

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 12:11:44 PM »
Nice sister first off!

Tell him about this place and others....it's not an over night thing, but maybe he wont feel alone...

plus a bald head looks way cool...he just needs to see things in a new light!

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 03:55:45 PM »
I can't really add anything except what is set forth above.  Counseling may or may not be an option.  Irregardless, he needs to talk to someone.  If anyone on here can help, I am sure any of us will.  Tell him about our site.  It's very supportive, non-judgmental and open to any topic.

I wish him the best.  Tough times don't last; tough people do.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Enter your email address: