Author Topic: anyone in finance?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline riverdude

• Learning the way of Sly
anyone in finance?
« on: May 19, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »
hey guys. I have about a year left of college and obtaining a degree in finance. Im just confused on what my next step should be. Thinking about getting an internship somewhere but any advice from someone who has had some experience. Thanks everyone.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
Re: anyone in finance?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:16:21 PM »
Welcome, Riverdude.  I'm a CPA and have a degree in business administration.

I think internships are a great way to get some real-world experience and develop some good business contacts.  Sounds like a good plan.  Best of luck.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 07:18:43 PM »
hey guys. I have about a year left of college and obtaining a degree in finance. Im just confused on what my next step should be. Thinking about getting an internship somewhere but any advice from someone who has had some experience. Thanks everyone.

I have a degree in accounting and finance.  I did a 5-year-cooperative education program, so I did three internships before I graduated.  Having a bit of experience can give you an edge over your competition and it will definitely do a lot to boost your confidence --- going on an interview for that first "real" job won't be as scary when the time comes.   I say go for it.

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 01:58:42 PM »
Hey there. My degree was a double in finance and accounting as well. I'm on my way to becoming a CPA (just took the Audit section...keep them fingers crossed for me). Anyway, an internship the summer before your senior year in college is definitely the best way. It allows you to find out if you like corporate environment, and it gets you a foot in the door. I definitely recommend an internship. Good luck!
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline yak

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:31:57 AM »
Riverdude, I am a Finance Manager for ServiceMaster.  I graduated from College in 2002 with a triple major in Finance, Marketing, and Management.  I am now 3 classes short of my MBA in Finance. 

I would recommend doing an intern.  I started with ServiceMaster as an intern in 2000.  After graduation I joined them full time as an Analyst.  I then moved up to supervisor and now to manager.  I currently oversee all the commercial lending, collections, vehicles sales, and retail lending for my group.  We are the finance arm that provides financing to our franchisees and customers. 

I also did an internship in 99 with Panasonic on their marketing side.  Internships are great, it is like "Dating" it gives you a chance to get a taste of what the company is like, it also gives you a taste for what office work is like and you can find out if that is something that you really want to do or not.

Many times internships lead to more promising jobs in the future, whether it be with the company you intern with or with a different company that will value you experience as an intern.