Author Topic: any 20 somethings sly?  (Read 15623 times)

Offline north

• Sly Jr.
Re: any 20 somethings sly?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »
So, here's the deal.
I was all gung-ho to shave my head when it got bad enough (I still have hair) but now that it's becoming noticeable, i'm afraid to shave it. Me going bald doesn't bother me, i'm just afraid to actually go ahead and shave it.

By the end of summer I will do it, but being in university with a tight nit group of friends, I am afraid that they will think of me differently.
I have read everything you guys have said, but i'm still nervous to do it.
I just feel like no one knows that I am actually balding right now, and if I shave it, people will all of a sudden be aware that I am balding and that makes me nervous.

But it'll be worth it, i'm sure.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 07:49:48 PM »
So, here's the deal.
I was all gung-ho to shave my head when it got bad enough (I still have hair) but now that it's becoming noticeable, i'm afraid to shave it. Me going bald doesn't bother me, i'm just afraid to actually go ahead and shave it.

By the end of summer I will do it, but being in university with a tight nit group of friends, I am afraid that they will think of me differently.
I have read everything you guys have said, but i'm still nervous to do it.
I just feel like no one knows that I am actually balding right now, and if I shave it, people will all of a sudden be aware that I am balding and that makes me nervous.

But it'll be worth it, i'm sure.

Hi, North.

I know exactly how you feel.  I'll bet your friends won't think of  you differently.  Everybody has that fear, and I have yet to hear of any cases where it's actually turned out to be true.  99% of the time, one of two things will happen: (1) you'll get barely any feedback at all, or (2) you'll get a lot of positive feedback.

Your last sentence sums it up perfectly:  it is worth it.  It's like standing at the edge of a very cold swmming pool on a steaming hot day.  You're hesitant to take the leap, but you know you'll feel a lot better once you do.  Take that leap, North, and don't let it go too long.  The relief is instant and it's not worth the anxiety you put yourself through by putting it off.

If you need some encouragement, visit the Before & After gallery on this site.  You'll be hard pressed to find anyone there who didn't look better with a shaved head.

Offline north

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 08:11:53 PM »
Where do I find this before and after gallery?

And thank you. I need to suck it up and get over it. I just really hope it isn't a big deal.
I am glad for one thing, though. I have thin hair (not just the top, all of my hair is relatively thin), and i'm thinking that the shadow should be very subtle.

It's just a matter of time, i'll get the balls to just do it and forget what anyone thinks of me.

Offline SonOfKrypton

• Sly
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »
It's just a matter of time, i'll get the balls to just do it and forget what anyone thinks of me.

The problem is choice.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 08:26:22 PM »
Where do I find this before and after gallery?

Go to the top of the page, right under the Sly Bald Guys title and the part that tells you how many messages  you have.  Click on the "Gallery" button.

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 09:25:43 PM »
Hey North, glad you joined up on the site. Welcome!

I know how you feel. Back when I first shaved my head, the reaction of those I know was the first thing that made me hesitate. But you know what, your friends aren't your friends because of your hair, they're friends with you because of your personality and because of who you are. That's what I've learned. Can you really see them saying, "Oh man, North shaved his head, I don't think I want to be associated with him..." I'm not mocking you here, like I said, I felt the same way you did. You might get some remarks and "baldy" comments, but no worries bro, you're friends will still love you and they're just giving you s*** like all guys typically do.

And in the end, just think about what looks worse, a guy with a shaved head, or someone trying to hide their baldness with combed over hair or specially styled hair. I'm not sure how your specific situation is, but as soon as I got to the point where I found myself moving hair around "hide" the fact that I was thinning, I knew it was time to take it sly. Trust me, if you're hair is hiding your baldness, chances are other people have already noticed.

And if its love from the ladies that you're concerned about, nothing screams confidence more than a shaved head. 9 times out of 10 it even adds an "edge" to your look, which most girls love.

Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
Very well said, James.  O0

Listen to our younger Sly's north, it's the real deal! Go for it.

Guaranteed you will feel ten times more free and confident.

Let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:19:20 PM by xnewyawka »

marty22

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 04:06:19 PM »
Dear North:

Give it time!

Offline JRS

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 06:00:29 AM »
26 and had MPB since late teens. 

I always kept it short but never sly.  Been sly for six months now and loving it.

The only regret i have is not doing it sooner!!!! Seriously it was nerving the first time with the razor in your hand and looking in the mirror, but, once you've done it you wont stop and ive never had any negative feedback.

ps. brace yourself - ladies love it; i didnt do too bad before going sly, but now its hetic lol!!

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 06:11:50 AM »
Welcome, sly bud.  Be sure to post in Introductions so that the other Sly guys know you've joined us.
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 07:19:07 AM »
I started shaving in 1983 when I was 23.  I was on active duty(Army) at the time and always had either a horeshoe flat or would just have the barber peel me with the clippers(no guard) every week.  I liked it clean and always wanted to be a completely bald man so finally just did it.  Only regret is that I waited that long.

Offline ChromeDome12

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2008, 11:29:22 AM »
The only regret i have is not doing it sooner!!!!

Very, very true.  I bet a lot of Slys on this site think the same way.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
The only regret i have is not doing it sooner!!!!

Very, very true.  I bet a lot of Slys on this site think the same way.

EVERYONE says that...we've seen it every time!

Offline Beef

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2008, 09:16:43 PM »
27 bald head and beard braided! O0

Mike

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2008, 11:00:05 PM »
I am still a 20 something, but will be 30 on July 18, dang I'm getting old, lol. I started loosing my hair at around 18, then shaved it off.

Enter your email address: