Author Topic: The Best Way to Shave (close)  (Read 12850 times)

Offline smoothpaul

• "Life has only as many complications as you create for it." "I'm somebody now!" ~ Steve Martin in The Jerk
  • Sly Jr.
  • Shaved head since 2001
    • My MySpace page
The Best Way to Shave (close)
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
I won't say that I have the definitive opinion on the subject but I have been doing this for several years and tried several ways and I will tell you what I believe to be the top 3.

#3) Electric Razor. The electric razor (such as Norelco or Remington) works well if you shave every day. Don't miss a day or you will make your head raw trying to get your head smooth. The rotary design is a must. I don't recommend the electric razor if you want a really smooth finish (unless you have thin follicles or are mostly bald). The electric razor works well on trips or if you do not have a lot of time and you need a quick touch up. I recommend always keeping one handy - just in case. The downside is the cleanup, blade maintenance and keeping it charged.

#2) Straight Razor - Sink. The straight razor over the sink is the second best method of shaving your head. You definitely will look cool to your wife and kids standing there in your towel taking care of business. I find it a little more time consuming than method #1. I tend to be a little more perfectionistic and meticulous while looking in the mirror at the vanity. It's a great way to start out but once you get the hang of it I recommend method #1. The downside is getting the sink dirty. Your wife doesn't care for the little hairs everywhere.

#1) Straight Razor - Shower. Once you have passed the novice stage and you're shaving nearly every day, I highly recommend the shower shave. It uses a little more water perhaps because you stay in the shower a fraction longer but I find I get the closest shave in the shower and that the actual shave itself doesn't take as long. The steam seems to really help in softening the hair follicles. The downside is that it uses more water but you will not believe how much faster it is. Keep reading...

I shave my head with my eyes shut and here's how:
First I shave in the direction of the hair growth. Then I rinse, re-lather and then shave again against the grain. As I am shaving the second time, I am running my hand all over my head feeling for places that need another pass. Then I step out, dry off and use HEADBLADE's HEADLUBE glossy. That is the best stuff!!! Btw, I just have a regular mirror in the shower just for shaving my face which I wipe with a bar of soap to reduce fog.

I do have a favorite razor and that is the Schick Xtreme3. It seems to do the best job consistently and lasts longer. I have tried the Quattro and I just didn't like it as well. I have tried others but as with anything, find what works for you and stick with it.

If you get bumps, here are a few things you can try. #1, Shave before you shower. [You should be doing this anyway. Didn't your father teach you anything?] #2, Sterilize your blade in alcohol before you use it. [You can do this while you are putting on lather.] #3, Wrap a hot towel around your head before you apply lather. [There is a reason why the barbers used to do that.] #4) Use aftershave balm containing Alpha Hydrox. [Such as Black Opal.]

That's it. That's the secret to the smooth head that drives women crazy. Any questions?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: The Best Way to Shave (close)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 01:34:25 AM »
Thanks for the post SmoothPaul!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:49:25 AM »
Strait razor...OMG

Offline smoothpaul

• "Life has only as many complications as you create for it." "I'm somebody now!" ~ Steve Martin in The Jerk
  • Sly Jr.
  • Shaved head since 2001
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:27:51 PM »
Strait razor...OMG

What else is there? Crooked razors?

jusbnme

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 10:40:33 PM »
Shave before you shower?  I've come to learn that it's best to clean your dome first before taking a razor across it.  Right? 

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 09:11:35 AM »
Strait razor...OMG

Funny.hahaha. Most people use a safety razor not a strait razor. I know, I know, your not most people.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 09:14:37 AM by Tom.Gallagher »

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 12:03:19 PM »
OH come on guys....you know what he is talking about..  He is using a non gay razor...lol

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 12:05:41 PM »
A non gay razor...crack me up...what does that mean anyway...LMAO.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 12:32:49 PM »
I dunno...you were all talking about straight razors...lol..

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »
yea I disagree about shaving before a shower. No way. Its like cutting trees.
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline smoothpaul

• Sly Jr.
  • Shaved head since 2001
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 06:35:01 PM »
I have tried it both ways. I find there is less traction (because of the oils) before shower but then again, I am shaving in the shower so I am getting a good rinse under the shower head. And I use hot, hot water. I have never had any problems with my face or scalp. And I buy my razors at heterosexual stores like Wal-mart as opposed to gay ones like Target. JK!  8)

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 07:43:26 PM »
I have tried it both ways. I find there is less traction (because of the oils) before shower but then again, I am shaving in the shower so I am getting a good rinse under the shower head. And I use hot, hot water. I have never had any problems with my face or scalp. And I buy my razors at heterosexual stores like Wal-mart as opposed to gay ones like Target. JK!  8)

This thread goes from very serious to down right hysterical!!! LMAO

I shave before I shower (so I have hot water out of the sink for my head! lol)
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

www.myspace.com/hascoline

Offline smoothpaul

• Sly Jr.
  • Shaved head since 2001
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 08:17:18 PM »
You know, I had to look up safety razor because I had no idea what you were talking about. I had confused the terminology. I used to short-hand it and say Bic but that isn't accurate either because I use Schick. But I have been mistakingly calling these razors straight razors and no one had corrected me until now. SO I looked up straight razor and I see why there is confusion. I don't know how I picked up that incorrect terminology but in the back of my mind I knew it. I suppose the general category of razor that I use could also be considered disposable razors. In any event, I appreciate the correction.

Strait razor...OMG

Funny.hahaha. Most people use a safety razor not a strait razor. I know, I know, your not most people.

Offline smoothpaul

• Sly Jr.
  • Shaved head since 2001
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 08:35:01 PM »
Oh yeah and Bruce Willis Rocks the bald head!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 09:51:32 PM »
Oh yeah and Bruce Willis Rocks the bald head!

Bruce Willis ROCKED the bald head...the boy is full on pro-naturaul...

the dude does not shave slick these days..

shame it fit him so well...now he looks REAL old!