Author Topic: If you could give any advice to someone who is balding or thinking of shaving...  (Read 215588 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

Exactly! A lot of ppl on this board are trying to convince everyone to believe that attitude is the be all end all when it comes to being bald. No it's not, some ppl just have BAD headshapes that don't look good at all shaved. It's hard to play confident when you know that you don't look good without hair but have no choice.

Why are you always so negative?  You must want to shave your head or you wouldn't still be here after all this time.  It's scary the first time you do it, to be sure.  But the only way to end the torture is to just do it.  Then you know whether you like it or not.  You either love it and keep it or you hate it and let your hair grow back.  But either way, you know.   And even if you hate it, you'll gain a great feeling of satisfaction that you had the balls to try it.

I really wish this site had existed when I was your age.  BaldAndre would have had me reaching for my clippers and razor within the first two days, three tops.  It would have saved me four or five years of agonizing over it like you're doing right now.  Do you know how lucky you are to have a resource like this, and to be living in a time when a shaved head is perfectly acceptable, unlike  20 or 30 years ago?

You have two choices:  (a) shave your head and see how it looks and feels or (b) accept whatever Mother Nature dishes out to you, regardless of what it looks like.   Which is it going to be?

BALDANDRE

Exactly! A lot of ppl on this board are trying to convince everyone to believe that attitude is the be all end all when it comes to being bald. No it's not, some ppl just have BAD headshapes that don't look good at all shaved. It's hard to play confident when you know that you don't look good without hair but have no choice.

Why are you always so negative?  You must want to shave your head or you wouldn't still be here after all this time.  It's scary the first time you do it, to be sure.  But the only way to end the torture is to just do it.  Then you know whether you like it or not.  You either love it and keep it or you hate it and let your hair grow back.  But either way, you know.   And even if you hate it, you'll gain a great feeling of satisfaction that you had the balls to try it.

I really wish this site had existed when I was your age.  BaldAndre would have had me reaching for my clippers and razor within the first two days, three tops.  It would have saved me four or five years of agonizing over it like you're doing right now.  Do you know how lucky you are to have a resource like this, and to be living in a time when a shaved head is perfectly acceptable, unlike  20 or 30 years ago?

You have two choices:  (a) shave your head and see how it looks and feels or (b) accept whatever Mother Nature dishes out to you, regardless of what it looks like.   Which is it going to be?

Well said RazorX!

He's on the mark bro...you should just go for it once and for all...you hang out with us razor shaved dudes for some reason...it's because you want to do it bad...

do it and move on bro, you're a good lookin' cat...don't worry about stupid head shape...girls dig faces anyways!

oh...and razor, thanks for he compliment...I took the statement as one! O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

do it and move on bro, you're a good lookin' cat...don't worry about stupid head shape...girls dig faces anyways!

Besides, there's nothing wrong with the shape of your head.  If there was, I might not tell you out of politeness, but I sure wouldn't be encouraging you to shave it if it was as bad as you seem to think it is.  And neither would anyone else here.

oh...and razor, thanks for he compliment...I took the statement as one! O0

You're welcome, sir.   O:O

Offline BJ

• Sly
Razor X, are you always so hard on the new guys.  :x!

It appears this guy has some confidence issues. Lashing out at him will only increase his self-doubts. I strongly believe in a kinder and gentler approach to resolving this issue.

BALDANDRE

It appears this guy has some confidence issues. Lashing out at him will only increase his self-doubts. I strongly believe in a kinder and gentler approach to resolving this issue.

So in defense of Razor...Yep Yep is not a newbie here and we've been supporting him for a very long time now...and will continue too as we do here....just sometimes you just gotta...

JUMP!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

I'm not hard on the new guys .... and he is not new.  I'm not "lashing out" at anyone.  Just telling him a few home truths.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:04:26 AM by RazorX »

Offline Bensen

• Ultimate Sly Guy
@yep_yep

"But the only way to end the torture is to just do it" (RazorX)

I totally agree with razorX. I also thought too much about it. After  a really good support here, i realized that i had to make this experience. I shaved my head last week for the first time. and I'm so glad I finally did it !!

Give yourself a chance and expirience a smooth shaved head. if don't like the look grow it back.
Your hair is short anyways. I guess after 2 weeks you will have your "old hairstyle" back again.

Ben

Offline yep_yep

• Sly

I hang here because I like the general attitude towards balding that is on this forum. Which is f**k all! That's what I admire in you guys and wish to adapt the same mentality. Besides, like I stated before, for me it's not about having a desire to shave, it's more about not having a choice in the future. I'm not gonna sport the "long sides nothing on top" anyways when my balding progresses, so I'm kinda forced to shave.

I do realize that... but you have to remember that sporting long sides even when you're bald was acceptable 20-30 years ago. And that's what bald dudes did.

Offline Rafter

• Super Sly
This is one of the most insightful posts ever made on  the subject of giving advice to someone whom is thinking of headshaving. Welcome Brian and thanks for making a great first time contribution to this site. O0

yep_yep read it carefully and digest all this wisdom.
As you can see, I don't have the most aerodynamic head. So what.
yep_yep all I can say is keep coming back here. Eventually, even if it's by osmosis you'll get the "sly" mentality you're seeking and the have the courage to headshave. Hang in there yep_yep.

In terms of options, anybody can google this topic and find a wide range of hair loss solutions.  I personally don't like the idea of taking pills cause I question their safety.  And I did consider hair replacement surgery, but I heard the reality wasn't as sweet as the romance.  Anyway, my haircuts got really short because I didn't want to be self conscious about "covering anything up."  One day, I messed a haircut up and the only solution was to start over by giving myself a true buzz job (hair clippers, no guide).  I decided I'd gone that far, and there are alot of people with shaved heads, why not try it ?

Anyway, so after viewing a few hundred websites on how best to shave my head, I went for it.  I gotta tell you; I do one hell of a better job now shaving my head than I did that first time.  Shaving your head isn't an inherent thing, it's developed.  At first, you start off worrying you're going to cut your head, and worrying how you're gonna look when it's all done.  It was different, but I was pleasantly surprised, and the more I saw it the more I liked it.  And people reacted favorably to it.

To be honest, I think alot of it just has to do with the shape of your head.  I have seen some guys with heads that weren't exactly aerodynamic (once you start shaving your head you look at other guys domes for some reason to compare and contrast).  But I figured I'm about average, and it works for me.  And I think shaving your head is alot about comfort.  It actually feels really good.  And you come to terms with the fact that you're losing some hair, and decide rather than covering it up, let's do this whole "hair loss thing" right!  Oh, you wanna see hair loss, I'LL SHOW YOU HAIR LOSS...jk, I got a little carried away there. :*))

One last thing, the most important thing.  Once you start to shave your head the issue of hair loss becomes irrelevant.  And you actually look forward to shaving your head because it becomes as common as shaving your face.  That cool, soft, clean feeling you get after shaving your face without all that grime on it.  And if you learn to shave well, the blade will clean hair off your head like a hot knife going through butter; I actually like the feeling of shaving my head; it's a feeling hard to describe but it's a good thing  :D

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

I do realize that... but you have to remember that sporting long sides even when you're bald was acceptable 20-30 years ago. And that's what bald dudes did.

Yeah, but they did that because there really wasn't any other choice like there is today.  And bald guys were made fun of; nobody thought it was a hip, happening look.

Tell you what:  you shave your head and post a pic and I'll shave my goat.  Deal?   O:O

BALDANDRE

I hear what you're saying on attitude! O0

But as far as the "accepted" look for bald back 20-30 years ago...it was never accepted in modern times bro...never, why do you think there are so many hair restoring schemes going on...not because of today's acceptance, but because of the recent past history's lack of acceptance of any type of bald!

I mean imagine being MPB in the hairy late 60's all the way through the hairy 80's? Talk about depression...different times now..

and for young dudes they will never understand what the older MPB dudes probably went through!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
[Tell you what:  you shave your head and post a pic and I'll shave my goat.  Deal?   O:O

And just to sweeten the pot a little -- BA will shave his eyebrows.   :o

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
[Tell you what:  you shave your head and post a pic and I'll shave my goat.  Deal?   O:O

I will most likely do a #0 with clippers sometime this summer, is that enough for you?  :P

BALDANDRE

Hey,hey keep your hands on your own chips!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility

I will most likely do a #0 with clippers sometime this summer, is that enough for you?  :P

Nope.  It's got to be razored smooth.  If you can do a #0, you can go all the way.  It just takes an extra day or two to grow out is all.  Might as well do it right if we're going to do it.   ;)