Author Topic: If you could give any advice to someone who is balding or thinking of shaving...  (Read 215859 times)

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook

Try it for 30 days, that is the trial period.

That's right PofC, Try the Sly Bald Guys 30 day trial and if you don't like being bald we'll guarantee you double your hair back (that's length not coverage) You just have to wait for it to grow out twice the length it was when you shaved it. :*))

Welcome to SlyBaldGuys.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
Hi, I've been lurking for a month or so...   My story: recently divorced - need to find women. I'm gray and balding but I do my best to make it work for me. I've considered shaving my head in the past but not as much as I am now. I'm close but I'm quite terrified I won't look good.

I'm a slacker with shaving my face. Probably twice a week if I'm lucky. Will this be a problem for me? Do some sly guys let their hair grow in a shadow on purpose? Will it make me look younger? (i'm 39)

I buzzed my head a few years back, not short enough I think (#2 or #3 (1/2 inch)). I did notice that my natural charm didn't seem to work as well. People seemed to get serious around me. Whatever it was... it was different and I didn't like it. Right now I see my options as shaving it or keeping it the same. Buzzing it down doesn't do it for me.

I would've shaved it by now but I've been successfully flirting with a gorgeous 28 year old. She seems to dig me and wants to spend time at the beach among other activities.  :D  How do I ask her how she feels about shaved heads? Or do I just chance it and just do it. I have the double whammy, very gray and very receded but this girl seems to like me regardless.

Ahhh... to shave or not to shave. That is the question.

Welcome to the neighborhood brother

I too hate to shave my face and I wondered how I woulld be able to keep u[ the dome, but I can't go one day with out shaving the dome, unlees I never leave the house, then maybe but just maybe. For some reason once I shaved the dome I loved it so much and shaving it has become a "me time" kind of deal. I still skip the face for a couple of days, but the head has to be done.

I wouldn't worry about the ladies and shaving your head, they come hand in hand. I did pretty well with the ladies before I shaved my head, but I have had so much better success with them since I started shaving. The confidence boost is tremendous. You just have to go with it and believe.

If this current lady has a problem with you shaving your head and it is what you truely want to do then she's not into you, she's into some thing else. You can ask her how she feels about it ,but it really comes down to how YOU feel about it.

I would sat to give it the 30 day trial for you and her.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
Thank you for the warm welcome and kind words of encouragement.

I'd be lying to say I wasn't self conscious about my hair and one of the most positive hair experiences I had was when I first clipped my hair down to less than 1/2 an inch. I only did it once but I recall sticking my head out of the window of my car. Damn it felt good and I felt free of hair anxiety. It didn't last long though. Where I think I went wrong was I only clipped it and it definitely increased the visibility of my receding hairline. At the time it wasn't just 50 sparse hairs in the front of my head like there is now (at least now its consistently sparse), it was more the front was full but I had a reverse mowhawk going.

Last week I talked about shaving to my 2 colleagues and one of them said just buzz it down. I didn't explain myself at the time but my first thought was: Why would I want to buzz it? Did I say I wanted to buzz it? If i'm just going to clip it down I might as well leave it the way it is. At least I can cover a spot or two with creative grooming.

I have little doubt I'm going to do this, it's just a matter of when. I want to be set free. I just seem to be lacking the courage to "pull the trigger".

Thanks again for the encouragement. I'm close, I can feel it.

If this current lady has a problem with you shaving your head and it is what you truely want to do then she's not into you, she's into some thing else. You can ask her how she feels about it ,but it really comes down to how YOU feel about it.

I couldn't agree more but oh man... she's so... and i'm very...  I just don't want to do something I'll regret. But agreed, wise words. I'm sure I'm not doing myself any favors going out with a girl 11-12 years younger while being self conscious about my hair. If I ever need self confidence I can't imagine a better time than now.

Q: Does sly have a service where I can get slipped a roofie and wake up with a shaved head? I have cash.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:54:23 PM by PowerOfCheese »
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
PofC, I say go ahead and shave.  You will definitely be amazed at the confidence it gives you.  You also get the benefit of looking years younger.  You could lose 10 years off your look... then you'll be back in your 20's.  The flirtatious relationship could bloom into a full-blown relationship with your slick new look.  By the way, you're fooling yourself if you think you can creatively hide your balding.  We all can see it.  Good luck!
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Welcome PoC, glad to have you here!
There's no hurt in trying it out.  It will just be a moment of inspiration, and you'll go straight for the razor.  Mine was while I was lurking here, reading shaving methods, and I wanted to feel the refreshment of cold water on my dome after the shave.  "It feels like the first time..."  started playing in my head, and the rest is history.

I'm pretty sure this lady friend of yours will see you as a confident, spontaneous dude if you take the plunge.  Own it.

Offline Southworth14

• Sly Jr.
Go for it bro.  I waited 10 years.  I look 10 years younger and if you dont like it your hair will grow back faster than before.  It takes me about three extra minutes to shave slick each day and I really like it.  I would recommend keeping it 30 days though before making up your mind..

marty22

go for it Cheese. A buzzcutt may not work well on u.

Offline slyinglide

• Give till it hurts!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Work hard, Play harder, Love Often
If you get to the end of your life and look back and have regrets about what you should have tried, then you didnt live your life to the fullest.  If you want to be bald, shave the head, at least give it a try, hair does grow back.
I was told to think outside the box, how did I get in the box in the first place?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Hey bro, give it a shot!  Actually take a couple of shots and then get out the clippers! (No SUI - shaving under the influence)   When you wake up the next morning use a razor to shave it all off. 

In all seriousness, I'm sure your 28 year old hottie would love a shaved head.  Most of the women I know are in the 27 to 35 range and they all seem to dig it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
Actually take a couple of shots and then get out the clippers! (No SUI - shaving under the influence)   When you wake up the next morning use a razor to shave it all off.

I think that might be the plan. I'm off Fri - Sun so tonight might be the night. I hope.

I'm pretty sure this lady friend of yours will see you as a confident, spontaneous dude if you take the plunge.  Own it.

If you get to the end of your life and look back and have regrets about what you should have tried, then you didnt live your life to the fullest.

Inspiring stuff guys. Thanks to all of you.
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Go for it Cheese.  Let me tell you a story that happened last night.  My neighbor was out on his front porch last night.  I use to work with him at the grocery store wayyyyy back....lol...makes me sound old ehh?  Well anyways he had a friend sitting there with him and I went over and was jut chit chatting.  The friend of his took his hat off and I said man you just need to go ahead and do that.  he was like do what?  He already cuts his hair with the clippers and does a buzz cut.  He was like I dunno man...if I had stuff here I might do it but I dont so....  I just looked at him and said I will be right back.  i came back with some shaving gel and a razor( just a cheap disposable one) and said here ya go.  He looked at me lke i was nuts...( popular word...lol)  Well, he said you buzz it down some more for me and i will shave it..right here and now.  Said ok  So my friend went in and got the clippers and I clipped him down and he shaved it. 

So just say you are going to do it and do it.  Much like waiting to get a shot.  You know that once it is over with it wont hurt but for 3 seconds...just the anticipation of getting it.  So we promise....it will only hurt as you are shaving...once you are done...you will be smiling!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
hey cheese:  1st of all welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  anytime one has thoughts of shaving his/hers noggin', one will never B satisfied unless U "do the deed" , "take the plunge", or in lay man's terms shave your dome.  i promise that U will not regret it.  keep us posted 2 your road 2 slyness & if U haven't already post up in the INTRODUCTIONS section of the forum so that we can give ya a proper welcome. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
I did it!!! Well, I took the clippers to my electric razor and buzzed it down to nothing. I bought supplies for a proper shaving but will finish it up in the morning. I want to be awake and refreshed for the first shave.

I've had a headblade in my bathroom drawer for 7 years. Todd Green, the inventor happened to be vacationing in the same place where I spent my honeymoon. We hung out most of the week and he hooked me up with a free headblade. I picked up some new traditional blades just in case and the headblade sport because I like the wheel. When I think about it, I've been wishing I could shave my head ever since I met that dude in Jamaica. Here I am... Finally doing it. Yeah!!!

I can't thank you guys enough for your previous posts (when I was lurking) and once again for the warm welcome and encouragement. I have no doubt this is going to be a very liberating experience for me. I already dig my new look. A few days ago, in preparation, I did buy the mandatory high end sunglasses. Bolle... they're much cooler than I am and certainly more expensive.

I'll throw up some pictures as soon as possible. 1st thing: Tan that sucker.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
I did it!!! Well, I took the clippers to my electric razor and buzzed it down to nothing. I bought supplies for a proper shaving but will finish it up in the morning. I want to be awake and refreshed for the first shave.

I've had a headblade in my bathroom drawer for 7 years. Todd Green, the inventor happened to be vacationing in the same place where I spent my honeymoon. We hung out most of the week and he hooked me up with a free headblade. I picked up some new traditional blades just in case and the headblade sport because I like the wheel. When I think about it, I've been wishing I could shave my head ever since I met that dude in Jamaica. Here I am... Finally doing it. Yeah!!!

I can't thank you guys enough for your previous posts (when I was lurking) and once again for the warm welcome and encouragement. I have no doubt this is going to be a very liberating experience for me. I already dig my new look. A few days ago, in preparation, I did buy the mandatory high end sunglasses. Bolle... they're much cooler than I am and certainly more expensive.

I'll throw up some pictures as soon as possible. 1st thing: Tan that sucker.

Way to go bro!  Todd is a great guy!  I'm glad he hooked you up with a HeadBlade.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
Questions:

How long before I stop looking into every surface that reflects?
How long before I stop doing the patented "stretch collar over head so as not to mess up hair" technique?

Quick story: I gave a golf lesson last night with my new buzzed to the skin doo. I guy I've known for a couple years but haven't seen in a while showed up. He didn't even bat an eye. Said Hi and we caught up. Not once did he mention my head. Afterwards we head to a bar next door. He seemed to know the waitress but I was getting the 20 questions from her. Am I married? What do I do? etc... 

Wow, this stuff works fast!  ;D