Author Topic: If you could give any advice to someone who is balding or thinking of shaving...  (Read 216062 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List

h3ry3 we have a winner!

whatever you do...don't get a hair transplant!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
Well illnois I think that goes without saying Ie mr rooney , and others on this site , it is quite worrying that these practioners take the money but its tough if it goes wrong

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
To answer the question, my advice would be, “Shave it all off and give it a bash!”
If you are contemplating dealing with your hair loss, the cheapest, most self respecting and liberating way is to embrace sly. There is only one route to take and that is to “try it”.

If you are not happy, grow it again.  At least you will have got the perceived radical approach out of the way and you can explore other avenues out there.

I can share this much.  I was very apprehensive about going this route.  I feared the reactions, the ridicule and the possibility of me hating myself for doing it.  But guess what? – I took the plunge without telling anyone and the opposite happened.  I picked up very little ridicule and amazingly a few compliments.  Now I do not even look back.  I have no “sly remorse”, my life has changed and for some inexplicable reason I am a much more confident person.

Be like “Nike” – “Just do it!”
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline wilky895

• Sly Jr.
 I'm with waine on this one 100% give it a shot. I've had nothing but good reactions and always remember it's what YOU think that really counts. Take the 30 day commitment... you can always go back. Good Luck O:O

Offline BBC56

• Sly Jr.
My self confidence soared after I took the 30 day challenge - I was self-conscious about the clean shaved head for about 2 weeks but after that it just got better and better.  I wish I had done it in my early 20's and been done with it.  30 days is enough time to get used to shaving every day, and after that it becomes an integral part of who you are. 

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
Go for it! Just shave it off and give slyness a shot. If you don't like it, your hair will grow back.
Hair is over rated.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Man up

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
Read the posts of those who have just finished the 30 day trial.

theman

If you can't Grow it Mow it !  And enjoy a world of freedom.  No more expensive hair cuts and not being happy !   ;)

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
The  days are getting  cooler and  how wonderful it feels  to have that coolness on  a freshly shaven dome , and look at yourself  shining back in the mirror . Self treasure yourself guys

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
I was listening to the bald truth radio show.  I find it very entertaining and like to listen to talk radio as I go to sleep.  I still find it fascinating that so many people still opt for wigs and transplants and are holding out for a "cure".  Some of the discussion is hysterical.  One guy wanted to have himself castrated at the age of 15 to avoid mpb  ???

Anyway, Todd Greene (headblade creator) was a guest a couple weeks ago (on an archive I was listening to dated 10/11/12) and he had a great suggestion.  He said, when shaving for the first time, if you wear glasses, change your glasses.  Or change the way you dress.  This way, when you shave your head, your head isn't the only thing your focused on.  You have another change to offset your focus on just shaving your head.

I think a lot of us like the change of going bald but this advice may help some people.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
I was listening to the bald truth radio show.  I find it very entertaining and like to listen to talk radio as I go to sleep.  I still find it fascinating that so many people still opt for wigs and transplants and are holding out for a "cure".  Some of the discussion is hysterical.  One guy wanted to have himself castrated at the age of 15 to avoid mpb  ???

Anyway, Todd Greene (headblade creator) was a guest a couple weeks ago (on an archive I was listening to dated 10/11/12) and he had a great suggestion.  He said, when shaving for the first time, if you wear glasses, change your glasses.  Or change the way you dress.  This way, when you shave your head, your head isn't the only thing your focused on.  You have another change to offset your focus on just shaving your head.

I think a lot of us like the change of going bald but this advice may help some people.

That's a good point....A universal change is better than a drastic change in one particular area of the body....especially if it's a person's head!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John

Yeah, I already feel like dressing differently. But I'm going to try to keep going with the trenchcoat.

Offline OMBrandon

• Sly Jr.
  • Mortem Tyrrani
I'm sure it's been said and I know it ought to b common sense, but there are a few things I have learned:

1. Follow your routine.  Don't skip steps, don't randomly add arbitrary steps.  Use the same razors, gels and perfumes for a time, and when you change one change ONLY one at a time. This made sense to me after some time. When you have a routine, changing an element because you need to becomes easier. You understand how a planned change affects your dome, either positively or negatively.

2. Always shave in the mirror.  Sounds like common sense, but it took me months to try it for the first time. I will never go back to a no-mirror shave.  Being able to see what you are doing will give you a faster, closer and smoother shave.

3. Use the products! They exist because they work. One may work better than another for you, but the right shaving cream, soaps and protection make long term shaving a pleasure.

4. Wear your body and especially your dome proudly. It is uniquely yours and no matter how thin or large, tall or short, hair or no hair you are, you aren't gonna get another one.  Just standing straight and being proud of being you makes more than 100% difference in how you are perceived by others.

Brandon

PS- sorry for any spelling or grammar probs. As usual, I'm on my phone :P
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
If it's that bad, why do you even keep it around?