Author Topic: Shaved heads in the movies  (Read 11905 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Shaved heads in the movies
« on: December 21, 2006, 07:26:53 PM »
One of the reasons that shaved heads have become so popular in recent years is because of the number of actors who have shaved their heads for movie roles.   Bruce Willis is one of the pioneers of this movement.   It has become so commonplace for actors to shave their heads, they are doing it for roles in which the script actually doesn't require them to be bald.   They seem to have caught onto the fact that it looks and feels great and will use any excuse to shave, and this has spilled over into the mainstream.

This wasn't always the case.  Remember the 70s and 80s?  You never saw shaved heads then, on white actors, with the two notable exceptions of Brynner and Savalas.  Actors wouldn't even get short haircuts when they were playing the part of someone who had just entered the military.  Remember Bill Murray in Stripes (although John Candy's induction cut is a notable exception to this rule)?  Last night I watched a DVD of Superman II.  In the early scenes, Gene Hackman (who refused to shave his head for the role of Lex Luthor) was very obviously wearing a bald wig, and it crossed my mind how that would be totally unacceptable today.  It is almost unheard of for an actor to refuse to shave his head for a role today.   And it's not like Hackman had good hair anyway!

I just thought it was interesting how much things have changed (for the better).  What do you think brought this change about?  The demands of movie producers (and movie-goers) for more realism?  Whatever it was, it certainly got the ball rolling.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Shaved heads in the movies
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 09:02:06 PM »
they saw pictures of me and said " that is one sexy sommbitch. we should look like that for this movie." at least that is how I see it. hahaha

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 09:08:03 PM »
I really think black men, athletes, and gay men really had a huge influence on the popularity of men shaving their heads. 

I haven't done any specific research on this topic, but as I surf through the internet looking for new content, most of what I find points to one of those three groups, with black men and gay men being the two most prominant.  I also see a more recent popularity with soldiers, which is prominent to the masses due to all the news reports post 9/11.

I think the popularity amongst these groups have made the decision easier for actors when it comes time to face the reality of paying for new hair or just shaving the little they have off.  Then you have the actors that are more willing to do it because it ads realism to the movie and shows their dedication to the role.

What does everyone else think?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:26:46 PM »
I think it has to do with different things for different age groups.    For middle aged males, it has to do with celebrities making it cool and once enough of them did it, it wasn't taboo to shave your head anymore.

For the young male, like myself, it has to do with our generations rebellious nature.    Look no further than stuff like attitudes about sex, all the strange piercings, the goth/punk styles etc(granted a lot of that stuff I dislike/don't agree with)   It's a we are badass, we know it, get out of our way, or get run over mentality.     My generation isn't about comforming, it's about paving our own way.    What better way to pave your own path as a young adult male than showing people their is much more to life than hair, and that all hair was designed for in the first place was to protect us humans for the cold?

Plus, I think the fact women have become more independent has had an effect.     A lot of ladies are into the short hair or shaved look nowadays, because they realize what we men already knew, it's so much easier to maintain and love a shaved head/short hair.   That and they don't care what others think.   

And that gets back to men in a sense, because if a woman has the ability to pull off a look that has always been male dominated, than what the heck are we doing trying to live our lives with hair we don't want?

bald for life

Offline ShinyHappyHead

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Bald is my superpower! And eating pizza.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 09:53:57 AM »
I'd like to give props to Natalie Portman for shaving her pate in "V: For Vendetta", and Persis Khambatta, a lovely lady from India who portrayed the bald Lieutenant Ilia in 1979's "Star Trek: The Motion Picture." 

I'm wondering if there were any other actresses who have shaved their heads for movie roles in the early years. 
David M.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 01:15:43 PM »
Threre was also Demi Moore that shaved in G.I. Jane.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 01:53:50 PM »
Threre was also Demi Moore that shaved in G.I. Jane.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Apollo5

• currently currently
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 12:01:36 PM »
A very early movie(1971) where actresses had to shave their heads was THX 1138. This was still hippie times. The special edition DVD had great footage of Maggie McOmie and other actors and actresses losing their hair for a film role. Also George Lucas's first movie

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 12:05:18 PM »
A very early movie(1971) where actresses had to shave their heads was THX 1138. This was still hippie times. The special edition DVD had great footage of Maggie McOmie and other actors and actresses losing their hair for a film role. Also George Lucas's first movie

Great mention!  I completely forgot about that movie.

Offline jseger11

• Sly Guy in Training
    • http://www.myspace.com/jeff52574
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 12:09:17 PM »

Great mention!  I completely forgot about that movie.

That's a blast from the past (THX1138) I think I saw that on BETA when I was 9 or 10. I'm going to have to try and rent it...

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 09:07:40 AM »
 :) :) Has anyone noticed how much better looking, and how much more effective as an actor. Michael Chiklis (The Shield) is since he went totally bald? What's particularly encouraging about his make-over is its realism: he makes no attempt to cover the shadow with make-up, as Howie Mandel, Stonecold Steve Austin,  and Dr. Ablow do. Harry, since we've talked about accepting the unconquerable shadow, this should come as good news. So no more consideration of laser removal and depilatories. Prof. Melon ;)
Embrace the bald truth

Offline agassi

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 10:55:09 PM »
hey guys how about samuel l jackson

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 12:55:04 AM »
hey guys how about samuel l jackson

Awesome!  That dude F#(&!NG Rocks!

Had to use the F-bomb - he would have liked it that way.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 10:41:06 AM »
When I think of Sam Jackson I always think about the scene in Pulp Fiction after they sho Marvin in the car and he is walking around with little peices of marvin in his fro.  Kinda hard to think of him as bald with that pic in my mind.   He is for sure sly and one cool mother...
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995