Author Topic: I guess I should have started here...  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
I guess I should have started here...
« on: December 21, 2006, 04:39:54 PM »
Hello all,

I'm a wee baldy from the Emerald Isle (hence my handle, it's Irish for baldy), just found your forum today while searching for hair trimmers. 
I have to say i'm quite pleased with the welcome I received so far, such nice folk around here.  Looking forward to reading all your stories and finding out more about how my fellow baldies deal with the various balding related issues!

Take care!
-B-

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: I guess I should have started here...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 04:42:39 PM »
Glad to have ya.  I'm a second generation Irishman, here in the U.S.  My grampa immigrated here from Galway.

Welcome!

BaldRob

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 04:43:24 PM »
Hi and welcome B (I'm not even going to try to type or say it!)

What's the reaction you get being a bald Irish guy (BIG)?  Are there a lot of BIGs?  How do the Irish women like it?

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 04:49:11 PM »
Thanks guys.

Robmeister ... i'm just a couple of hours north of Galway, good city.  Lot of emigration from the west over the years (centuries).

There's a lot of bald/receding guys here BaldRob. I've never really noticed anybody's reaction to me being bald ... other than friends commenting on the shine etc :) 
The girlfriend likes it, that's all that matters to me ;)

Offline Clay

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 05:31:32 PM »
Welcome to the site Blagadán!  I'm glad you found it.  My last name is of Irish origin... but no red  hair....

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 06:34:28 PM »
welcome b!!!!! my family name is traced back to ireland or scotland. but anyway. enjoy the site. if you have questions just ask away. someone will help you. or at least give you a good laugh. later.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 02:01:40 AM »
Thanks Clay, pburke!  There are a lot of Irish names in the US I guess.  At least when I visited (in Michigan) it seemed like every second person I met was a Kelly  :)

Burke is a common name here ... some history for you... "Burke is one of the Anglo-Norman names that came to Ireland in the 12th century. The surname Burke is derived from the Old English word "burh," which is derived from the Old German word "burg," the common Germanic word for a fortification. It seems likely that the first family to bear this surname would have lived in or near a prehistoric fort situated on a hill"

Take care!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 02:50:49 AM »
hah, bald rob can't mess with a fortifacation. j/k bro. thanks for the info buddy. that is interesting.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 04:55:05 AM »
Blagadán - Welcome.  I suspect that 2 out of 3 Americans can find some Irish blood somewhere in them!

Shave looks good!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 06:25:30 AM »
Burke is a common name here ... some history for you

How'bout "Blackmore"?  My grampa from Galway was "Micky Blackmore"

chadoweasel

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 11:31:16 AM »
Welcome Blagadán.

Im yet another US born, Irish breed..as I guess so many of us baldies here can relate. I guess I have those damn ancestors from Antrim County to thank for this male pattern baldness.

I have a extremely detailed family tree going back to the late 16th century, with so many surnames entwined I would think I am related to just about everybody in N. Ireland. Haha  ;D Oddly enough for me though, my name Green seems to have come from S.Scottland and wound up in Ireland with the 'Bells' in Ulster.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 12:06:32 PM »
Again, welcome to the site, Blagadán.  Sorry, no Irish here, unless you count all the Guinness and Irish cream I drank.  Oh love Notre Dame If you have any questions, we are all here to help each other.
How would we pronounce Blagadán?
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 02:12:06 AM »
 ;DFailte and Merry Christmas, Blagadan. Like so many others, I'm half Irish, actually Scots-Irish, an important immigrant group in the history of the USA. My mother, RIP, was a Johnston, distantly related to the Johnston-Mooney-O'Brien bakers of Dublin. They have always been RC, but came to Eire from Dumfries, in Scotland, in the 17th century,  when Calvinism/Presbyterianism  made it difficult to thrive, or even survive in Britain proper. And, yes, I get the gift of baldness from my Irish grandfather. Ireland may be homogenizing very quickly now that she has joined the EU, but you'll find traditional, mordant Irish wit alive and well at SBGs. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 03:04:52 PM »
The girlfriend likes it, that's all that matters to me ;)

AMEN!

Welcome to slybaldguys. Congrats on being bald and proud!

I happen to know that Irish women love bald guys becuase my lay-day is Irish and she can't keep her hands off me.