Poll

Chuck Liddel vs Tito Ortiz

Liddell
3 (60%)
Ortiz
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: December 30, 2006, 11:57:44 AM

Author Topic: Upcoming fights  (Read 6932 times)

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Re: Upcoming fights
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 07:50:51 PM »
This was on myspace, thanks to Jeff! :)  Thought that some peps here might find it interesting.

*This is a repost from mmafanatics.com official myspace page.*

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has released their official list of medical suspensions from UFC 66: Liddell vs. Ortiz II.

- Chuck Liddell is suspended until June 30th (or until receiving doctor’s approval) due to a knee and hand injury.
- Tito Ortiz is suspended until March 2nd.
- Forrest Griffin is suspended until January 31st.
- Marcio Cruz is suspended until January 31st.
- Eric Schafer is suspended until March 2nd due to a lip laceration.
- Tony De Souza is suspended until March 2nd.
- Rory Singer is suspended until June 30th (or until receiving doctor’s approval) due to a right elbow injury.
- Christian Wellisch is suspended until January 31st.
- Anthony Perosh is suspended until March 2nd.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 09:41:59 PM »
whoa!

Ya don't hear that side of things much.

Offline BigJeffrey

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 09:56:22 PM »
Yeah, the suspensions are imposed by the Athletic Commission mainly to keep fighters who have been knocked out from sustaining further damage by fighting again too soon.  This is also the case in boxing.  It's a really good thing to do for the protection of the athletes.

I'm going to chime in with an opinion about the Chuck/Tito rematch.  I think the ending of this fight demonstrated the need to get rid of the cage.  I have no argument with the timing of the stoppage under UFC rules.  I do however think that Tito was absolutely capable of continuing.  He was covering up and Chucks punches were landing on his arms and shoulders.  He was just up against the cage and couldn't maneuver to change positions.  If that fight had been in a ring (as in Pride) they could have stopped the action, moved the fight to the center of the ring and restarted in the same position.  Chuck may have stopped the fight just the same but Tito would have had an opportunity to try to scramble for better position.  I think that would be better for the fighters and ultimately for the fans as well.  Trying to watch a fight through chain link fence is difficult in person.

Rampage's entry into the UFC will be interesting.  My only concern about him fighting Chuck is the fact that Rampage has been brutally knocked out twice since the first time they fought (Wanderlei Silva twice and Mauricio Rua) while Chuck has taken relatively little damage.  Getting knocked out sometimes damages a fighter and Rampage isn't as aggressive as he once was.

Mirko should rule the UFC heavyweight division for as long as he wants to.  He has been caught and stopped before (Kevin Randleman) but his striking is far superior to what the UFC currently has to offer and his ground game is pretty good and he takedown defence is excellent.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 08:48:58 AM »
Funny you talk about the cage vs ring like Pride.  I see advantages for the cage, as well as some disadvantages (like mentioned).  My view is if there is going to be a some thing that will dictate the space of a fight it either should be something that the fighters could use in the fight, like the cage or nothing like a line on the canvas.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995