Poll

Chuck Liddel vs Tito Ortiz

Liddell
3 (60%)
Ortiz
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: December 30, 2006, 11:57:44 AM

Author Topic: Upcoming fights  (Read 6887 times)

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Upcoming fights
« on: December 21, 2006, 11:57:44 AM »
Okay there are some good MMA events seeking up behind some of the holidays.  What are some guesses for the outcomes?  Pick the fighter you think is going to win, the one know, like, recognize or sounds meaner.

"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: Upcoming fights
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 12:18:11 PM »
I agree that Ortiz is a punk....and I like what Liddel said that it will "give [him] a chance to shut [Ortiz] up"

But Ortiz is freakin' tuff and REALLY wants the title back......I have to go with Ortiz.   Sorry, AR3

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 01:59:06 PM »
Dude that is your opinion and rock on with it, Rob.  However I would like to point that Tito didn’t look so tuff last time when Liddel made him curl into the fetal position. ;)

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 05:54:53 PM »
The bottom line is, it's mma and anything can happen.  I just want to see what is the pulse of the group for UFC fighters. 

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 11:33:05 PM »
Chuck did it!  He shut down the "bad boy."  Took a good three rounds to do so.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 12:28:43 AM »
Chuck did it!  He shut down the "bad boy."  Took a good three rounds to do so.

Just got back from watching the fight at MississippiRed's place.  It was a good fight.  Ortiz shouldn't have gotten on his back after getting knocked down.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 02:00:34 AM »
The "Iceman" is my favorite fighter in the UFC.    Liddell controlled the style and tempo of the fight the whole way other than twice when Ortiz actually bothered to attack.

Chuck Liddell rules/is a badass, bottom line.     Ortiz was lucky the fight didn't end in round one.   Round two was boring, and round 3 was the knockout.

bald for life

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 02:06:15 AM »
Way to go, Chucky baby!!

I thought Ortiz might pull this one out....oh well

spaceape48

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 10:11:46 AM »
I think Tito did good considering. He no doubt is one of the best out there, and is getting better better, but he's no where being ready for Chuck- and that was proved,lol. I will say that I didn't agree with the ref stopping the fight like he did though. Chuck had him down, but Tito's defense was strong. Look at the replays closely and you see Tito is blocking the jist of the ground and pound hits, and the ones that do connect are only grazing him. Just when the ref was about to call it though, you see Tito start to roll over in an effort to get up.

It should have gone to the fourth. It should have and would have been ended with a knockout. What a shame...

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 01:01:03 PM »
Speaking of UFC, I saw some tape of a new heavyweight Mirko Cro Cop Flipovic, who is coming to the company in february I think.    Dude is sick, especially his leg kick.
bald for life

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 01:03:51 PM »
Speaking of UFC, I saw some tape of a new heavyweight Mirko Cro Cop Flipovic, who is coming to the company in february I think.    Dude is sick, especially his leg kick.

Yeah, he his!! Same with Rampage.  Those two are going to be great additions to UFC.  Plus, Rampage has beaten Liddel  before.  Did you see the looks they gave each other last night?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 01:31:31 PM »

Yeah, he his!! Same with Rampage.  Those two are going to be great additions to UFC.  Plus, Rampage has beaten Liddel  before.  Did you see the looks they gave each other last night?

Yeah, they showed Jackson ringside all the time.   It shouldn't take long if he is that good for them to get a rematch.

Btw, the only thing that impressed me about Ortiz was the fact he got out of round 1 alive.   Otherwise, outside of a brief takedown and a combo by ortiz following a liddell combo, he was basically walking around the ring doing nothing.    It almost seemed like he really didn't feel like he belonged in the octagon with Liddell, despite his comments of fighting his best fight afterwards.   Chuck controlled that fight at every turn.

And as far as forrest griffin, there's no crying in fighting dude.   I love the passion, but control yourself my man.

This was the 1st ppv UFC I got to see.   My sister/her boyfriend are really into it, so I started watching it a little the last couple years.   I like the ultimate fighter show, and they called and asked if i'd like to see tonight's PPV.   I said sure, and he bought it and we watched it on our brand new 62'' TV.   Too bad spike TV wasn't HD.   We got that installed the day before.

bald for life

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 12:00:14 PM »
I will say that I didn't agree with the ref stopping the fight like he did though. Chuck had him down, but Tito's defense was strong. Look at the replays closely and you see Tito is blocking the jist of the ground and pound hits, and the ones that do connect are only grazing him. Just when the ref was about to call it though, you see Tito start to roll over in an effort to get up.

That is one of the things that drives me nuts about the fights is the refs don't always display consistency when stopping the fight.  These fights are prefect examples. 

I don’t remember who is the ref for Chuck and Tito, but I remember Herb was for Andrei and Cruz.  Man, Andrei delivered several blows to Cruz that I felt shouldn’ve been needed.  When you watch the replay, Cruz is just laying there (I think completely out) and Andrei give six punches before Herb steps in to stop it.

Offline Hair-Refugee

• Sly Guy in Training
  • My brother and I don't dine out often.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 01:42:46 AM »
I was fine with the Tito stoppage.  He didn't have a problem with it either in the post fight.  I'm sure Chuck's punches (even while covering up) feel like getting hit with a sledge hammer.

The Arlovski/Cruz reffing was pretty awful.  Hate seeing that at a fighter's expense.  Although I hear Cruz is quite an a-hole so, I don't feel too bad for the guy. 

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 12:17:28 PM »
I agree.  I think while it hurts the entertainment of the sport it's best for the refs to stop early then go long.  Protect the fighter. 
Welcome to the group, Hair-Refugee!

Enter your email address: