Author Topic: How often should you work out?  (Read 18374 times)

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
How often should you work out?
« on: December 20, 2006, 03:26:14 PM »
First off I don't mean how many days at the gym, I mean how often should a particular musclue group be worked out.

For instance biceps; I hear people say 3 times a week becuause it keeps the muscle active and fights the fatigue and sorness.

I hear others say do it only once a week because the muscle fibers need time to re-build and only then can the muscle grow.

So which is it? More frequent or less?

I am starting a revised routine for the new year to get ready for a special event and would like some advice.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Re: How often should you work out?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 04:16:19 PM »
I'm not quite sure about the exact interval periods between workouts, but what
I can tell you is that you definitely shouldn't do them every day. Once in two or three days sounds more reasonable.

Here's an article for you to check out. Read the paragraphs under the heading "Recuperation".

Hope this helps...

Oh, by the way: I know you already got your own routine, but it can't hurt to check this site out.
These are isometric exercises you can do at home without any equipment, and they have the same
result as going to the gym and working them machines and lifting weights.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/OBB/OBB.html
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:48:11 PM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 05:06:36 PM »
From what I've read, I think I general rule is not more that twice a week for any specific body part.  That being said, I'm not sure that I totally agree with that.  I think it depends more on the goals of the individual, i.e. weight loss, fat loss, building mass etc. When I whipped myself back into shape about a year ago, I used light weight and did full body workouts 4 times per week, sometimes on consecutive days.  The main thing is to find something that works for you & your schedule.  There are countless examples on the net, try some out & see how you feel.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 05:21:03 PM »
I hear others say do it only once a week because the muscle fibers need time to re-build and only then can the muscle grow.

Not only have I heard this same principle...but I've experienced it to be true.   After many different approaches to weight training over the years, I've gotten the _BEST_ results following this principle.  And it's the principle that Bill Phillips' book, "Body 4 Life" advocates ( www.body4life.com ).

It's sorta in between the two that you mentioned where a body part gets worked out 3 times over a 14 day period....or 1.5 times per week.

I have outlined in a nutshell here: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=448.0  if you want to take a looksy.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 07:38:32 PM »
Here is my insight on the subject; there are only two muscle groups the do not need recovery time after being worked, the abs (including obliquis) and the gastrocnemius (the calf).  Those muscles in theory can be worked everyday indefinitely.  I would not recommend it especially to a beginner.  A fair a realistic goal would about 14 days in a row and about 1-2 days of relaxation.

The others now, to keep things simple I’ll group as arms, chest, back (including neck), legs and cardio (mainly referring to the heart).  The larger the group the less time needed to heal after the breakdown of a work out.  Example the lats will recovery faster than the biceps.  In my opinion the best work out routine focus on complimenting muscle groups; (in most cases the whole extremity) for example, biceps and triceps together, back and abs and so on.  Many argue on an older system of alternating the muscles of each limb.  It is very important to keep a routine that allows proper recovery for the muscle to develop and breaks the muscle fast enough to keep to ego motivated. 

Before I start to write a dissertation on fitness and proper workout theory, I am going to cut to the bottom line.  There are too many variables involved to just provide one size fits all answer to this question.  The best guidance I can offer as a general rule is if you really want to push yourself, achieve fast results, and you are already in a fair sense of fitness, then about the day before the soreness is completely gone from the muscle group you can work it again.  If you want to be more on the safe side wait about a day or two after the soreness is gone.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Medic aka Rocko

• Super Sly
  • Yikes
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 07:50:26 PM »
Here's another thought.  Have you ever known anyone who works at a labor intensive job?  I've known a few guys who are very muscular yet don't go to the gym or workout.  Their job is their workout.  They are "working out"  for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.  Maybe the intensity isn't the same, but the results can be impressive.

Anyone ever buck bales on the farm?

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 09:54:05 PM »
Here's another thought.  Have you ever known anyone who works at a labor intensive job?  I've known a few guys who are very muscular yet don't go to the gym or workout.  Their job is their workout.  They are "working out"  for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.  Maybe the intensity isn't the same, but the results can be impressive.

Great point Medic!  This falls into the area I was getting ready to write four more paragraphs.  Basically it is easier for the body to recover from a slow, steady and long workout.  Compare quick workouts weights or plyometrics the muscles suffer massive amounts of damage in a short period which provides great muscle development in the long run, but require much more recovery time.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 11:26:01 PM »
12 oz curls work well, and get lighter with every rep. although they don't do much for the abs. hahaha

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 12:32:25 AM »
The Abs Diet book that I'm using states that you should give 48 hours rest to major muscle groups for a time of recovery.  One of the things it mentions is that unless you are already in shape or have a fairly defined look, you should not focus on smaller muscle groups, but rather focus on the major groups - Chest, Back, and Legs.  The reason behind this is tha tthese areas will build muscle faster.  The more muscle you build, the more fat you burn.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Noner

• Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Nonerville
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 02:06:18 PM »
The Abs Diet book that I'm using states that you should give 48 hours rest to major muscle groups for a time of recovery.  One of the things it mentions is that unless you are already in shape or have a fairly defined look, you should not focus on smaller muscle groups, but rather focus on the major groups - Chest, Back, and Legs.  The reason behind this is tha tthese areas will build muscle faster.  The more muscle you build, the more fat you burn.

I have read that as well Tyler. I going to work on my chicken legs!

Offline Noner

• Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Nonerville
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 02:13:47 PM »
Right now My routine is bascially 3 days a week.

I utilize the push/pull method. One day is all pushing exercises, the next is all the pulling exercises and the third day is legs and cardio while the weekend is a run/walk.

I've been working out for 4 years and went from 135 to 160 at my peak.  Then I got a lay-day and I dropped down to 155. I want to get at least 2-3 pounds of muscle by the end of March.

I was thinking about increasing the frequency of the workouts to every other day but am not sure it that will get me results.  Thanks for all the advise.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 12:36:19 PM »

yessir i have. too many times. you just think you are in shape until you have to work hay. it will humble you in a heartbeat. love it though.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 12:43:55 PM »

yessir i have. too many times. you just think you are in shape until you have to work hay. it will humble you in a heartbeat. love it though.

Ouch is the first thing that comes to mind...I haven't done that in a while.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 09:02:52 PM »

Yeah, but good work, good time in the sun ..... and a cure-all for insomnia
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 05:13:16 PM »
Builds up a mighty thirst too. I think it's more the combo of beer and the work that will cure the insomnia...lol

Come to think of it, the same thing happens when we build fence...hhhmmmmm...I'm starting to see a trend here.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Enter your email address: