Author Topic: People Staring  (Read 18500 times)

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Re: People Staring
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 05:05:44 AM »
He he, yes, you are indeed very cheerful and seem very nice...that DID come through in your posts.
Wow, your past experience record is impressive. You've done and seen quite a lot for your age.
Ok, see you around, take care...
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 01:58:26 PM »

Thx, you too my friend   8-)  /cyberhandshake    ~Yeti
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline robert

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Running in the Halls
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 02:03:14 PM »
I get the baby stares too.  Hilarious stuff.  I started shaving my head before Michael Jordan was bald when I lived in Humboldt CA.  Mostly rednecks and hippies there so  people stared.  At the time, I was one out of two bald guys in what seemed like the whole county.  Plus you just notice stuff more when you're overly self-conscious from herbalizing (which I've retired from, thank you).  I moved down to LA after that.  Less stares.  And now I'm in the Bay and hardly notice anyone staring.  Just a lot more guys shaving the nug now.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 05:58:39 PM »
Something interesting happened while we were on vacation. We went to an indoor waterpark in Wisconsin Dells, WI. Naturally, I wasn't wearing a shirt so I had my tat exposed. One of the lifeguards was a young black man. Floating down the lazy river, I started talking to him. (About how boring it was during the off-season) He was cool with me until I floated around and he could see my tat. After that his attitude completely changed. As we were leaving we couldn't remember what time they opened the next day. I saw this same young man sitting on a chair in front of the First Aid office, so I stopped to ask him. He was reluctant to talk to me, probably figured he had to since it's his job. When we went back the next day, my wife and I were playing with our son in the kids pool and noticed this same young man was at a station near that pool. My wife made the comment that he was giving me dirty looks the day before. I told her it was probably because of my shaved head and the tat. Later on floating down the Lazy River with my son and wife, he was guarding the River again. My wife was trying to get my son to say "hi" to him. Then she said, that guy was talking to us yesterday, then he saw we were with you. I told her it was his problem not mine. She responded with, well you can't blame him. I made the rebuttal that he was jumping to conclusions and didn't even know me. Besides, if I was such a bad person, would I have even talked to him in the first place? In my opinion, had he made the effort, he would've found out that I'm not racist. That's not what my tattoo is about, nor why I shave my head. Oh well...
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 02:25:23 PM »
I too have a rebel flag tattoo. and it has caused trouble in the past, but my friends that are black laugh with me and assure me that it is the guy or girl who trips that has the problem. they know what i am about and that i will do whatever i can to help anyone i can, regardless of race or anything else. i guess it is like dad says" respect everyone till they show you they don't desrve it"

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 01:58:23 PM »
Well said pburke. I talked to a friend of mine not too long ago (who is also proud of his southern heritage) he's getting a new rebel flag tattoo finished up. When it's finished it will have rebel flag and the words "Heritage Not Hate" around it. He has been trying to get this same piece done, but had trouble finding a good artist who didn't think it was racial.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 05:20:16 PM »
When I was getting this one there was an english guy in the shop asking all kinds of dumb questions. like" what are you gonna do if you go up north? or don't you worry what people will think? But his dumbest one by far was "Why would you want that?" to which i replied " if you have to ask you will never understand." he was an arrogant pr#$%.  did not get any of my tats to make anyone but me happy.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 12:51:28 PM »
You're damn right!!! My wife commented the other night that she still doesn't like mine. I just responded with, "Oh really? Guess it's a good thing I got it on me and it's not on you huh?" She didn't like that response very much, but oh well.

Offline jseger11

• Sly Guy in Training
    • http://www.myspace.com/jeff52574
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 08:46:07 AM »
I think people will always look when they see a smooth bald head because it really is not the norm. No doubt it has certainly become a stylish look these days...
My wife was bit critical of me when i first shaved but I think she has now come to like it. I think because she was critical of my choice to shave I may have felt people were staring at me but I have now got over it and I feel very confident with myself and my look.

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 09:03:17 AM »

My wife was bit critical of me when i first shaved but I think she has now come to like it.

Wait until you foget to shave for a few days. You'll be getting the "Are you going to shave your head today? Its getting long"

I already get that.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 12:13:06 PM »

I've also noticed now that babies stare at me a lot.  My wife noticed it also.  I think they can relate to me since neither of us have hair and I'm just a kid in a mans body.

When I went and had that pic in my avatar made last week, there were tons of families with little kids there.  One little girl came up to me and just randomly started hitting this big ball in my direction.   I think it was the bald factor.

But to me let them stare.   I like attention, and to have people take notice.   I also remember in HS, there was this girl who lived right around the corner from me, and the day after thanksgiving break she returned to school with a short bob.   She had long mousey looking hair before.  It was drastic, and I couldn't help but always gravitate to it honestly.

I am and have always been a sucker for drastic hair changes.   I'll admit I like watching good makeover shows, when the person undergoes a drastic hair change.  It's just interesting.

bald for life

Offline agassi

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 08:58:56 PM »
i hear that alot too noner people also tell me i need to grow it back

Offline BulletHead

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 11:27:42 AM »
I get very few stares. I have had a lot of people tell me I look like I was born to be bald.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »
Yeah, I get the stares too!  When babies do it that's cool you smile and them and they laugh back.  I hope people keep staring because I like being able to smile back confidently.  I like being sly and not your average guy.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

gearhedguy

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 04:01:35 PM »
Yup, I get a lot of people staring, too. Just yesterday, while walking down the street I hear someone loudly yell out behind me, "hey you over there, the guy with the bald head, we have the same hairdo, looks like we get it cut at the same place!" Bewildered I turn around only to discover a bald homeless street person parked on a bench. He probably has a different motivation than I, for him it means no head lice!!  O0