Author Topic: Cell Phones at the Gym  (Read 7667 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Cell Phones at the Gym
« on: December 19, 2006, 01:43:33 AM »
One thing I cannot understand is why people bring their cell phone to the gym and carry it around with them while they workout.  Then what kills me is that they will call people after a set and just chill on the machine while others are waiting for it.  Or, they'll get on one of the aerobic exercise machines and try to have a conversation on the phone while panting away.  Can anyone explain why people do this?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Re: Cell Phones at the Gym
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 02:00:12 AM »
Dude I took my phone in the weight room once.  And I spent no kidding 3 days afterwards cleaning it because all the sweat and body oil.  Now I understand that I'm a bit OCD, even more so when it come to my phone.  My whole point is I understand your frustration.  Sadly the world is filled with inconsiderate people. :-(
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 02:14:20 AM »
Dude I took my phone in the weight room once.  And I spent no kidding 3 days afterwards cleaning it because all the sweat and body oil.  Now I understand that I'm a bit OCD, even more so when it come to my phone.  My whole point is I understand your frustration.  Sadly the world is filled with inconsiderate people. :-(

Sadly, you just get in the habit of carrying it everywhere.   I go to a tanning salon where I live daily.   I should just leave the phone in the car, because if not I have to put it on the counter next to the bed.    But I think subconsciously I am used to having it in my pocket, and worry about someone breaking into my car.   

The other explanation is people are dumb.
bald for life

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 06:38:08 AM »
I HEAR ya, brutha...

The only reason I bring my cell phone in the gym is to use the stop watch function to make sure I don't rest too long.

Which piggy-backs on Tyler's observation.....when you sit around and chit chat...whether on a cell phone or otherwise....that diminishes the intensity of your workout.  Even if yer not doing circuit-type training, you really shouldn't be resting more than 1 - 1.5 minute(s) between sets and 2 - 2.5 minutes between excercise changes.  Not for any aerobic benefit, but because limiting rest adds to the breakdown of muscle tissue yer aiming for in weight training.

It cracks me up--or pisses me off (if they're taking up a machine) to see someone do a set on whatever machine and then sit around B.S.ing for 5 (sometimes 10) minutes before doing another set.

I've just grown accustomed to taking care of biz while at the gym, and not chit chatting much.......ESPECIALLY on a cell phone.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 06:39:48 AM by Robmeister »

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 08:14:31 AM »
Here's a little sample of my gym cell phone blog I did a year ago. Its based on a true story, kind of:

Cell Phones are everywhere now and it irritates me. All you hear is (Blah, Blah) Everywhere, even in the gym. There was a guy standing next to a press machine talking on his cell phone. I walked over to the machine to use it and he says “Dude I’m on that” and put the cell phone on speaker phone so his chick could hear him grunt as he "felt the burn." So I started making moaning noises and telling him to pump it.

The great thing about gym guys is they cant run.

And if that didn’t get me upset, after my workout, I went into the locker-room and there was some guy taking a shower while talking on the cell phone. And, And in his other had was a Big Mac. On the cell phone, eating a Big Mac while showering.

I asked him how hell the he was doing that and then her started bragging about how cool his cell phone was. He said “Yeah this thing can send and receive pictures, videos, stock quotes, sports, weather channel AND it’s waterproof.

So I said to him “Yeah, well my phone can do all that stuff and pay my bills AND sleep with your sister”

Thank god shower floors are slippery.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 08:21:31 AM »
LOL....good stuff, Noner ;D

....put the cell phone on speaker phone so his chick could hear him grunt as he "felt the burn."

This digresses just a tad....and forgive me if any of you have done this....but I've chuckled out loud at the gym when I see some guy....especially a really big guy going through his routine with his bimbo following him around, fawning at him and NOT working out....especially when I NEVER see this chick working out, but always following this APE around scratching his back in between sets.

Anybody ever notice this at their gym?

As you can see...I spend my 1-minute rest time people watching :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:35:32 AM by Robmeister »

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 09:00:59 AM »
When I go to the gym, it's my time. My phone gets turned off and I'm not bothered. I have a blackberry and I receive a ridiculous amount of emails a day, but the good thing about technology is that you can turn it off and when you turn it back on, the emails and voicemails are there waiting for you. It's kind of like magic. ;D

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 10:22:24 AM »
Great story Noner!

Rob - I have also seen what you're talking about.  I actually saw that happen last night!  LOL
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 01:53:31 PM »
I HEAR ya, brutha...

The only reason I bring my cell phone in the gym is to use the stop watch function to make sure I don't rest too long.

Which piggy-backs on Tyler's observation.....when you sit around and chit chat...whether on a cell phone or otherwise....that diminishes the intensity of your workout.  Even if yer not doing circuit-type training, you really shouldn't be resting more than 1 - 1.5 minute(s) between sets and 2 - 2.5 minutes between excercise changes.  Not for any aerobic benefit, but because limiting rest adds to the breakdown of muscle tissue yer aiming for in weight training.

It cracks me up--or pisses me off (if they're taking up a machine) to see someone do a set on whatever machine and then sit around B.S.ing for 5 (sometimes 10) minutes before doing another set.

I've just grown accustomed to taking care of biz while at the gym, and not chit chatting much.......ESPECIALLY on a cell phone.

I don't use it in there, it's just the habit of carrying it everywhere.
bald for life

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 02:55:56 PM »
One thing I cannot understand is why people bring their cell phone to the gym and carry it around with them while they workout.  Then what kills me is that they will call people after a set and just chill on the machine while others are waiting for it.  Or, they'll get on one of the aerobic exercise machines and try to have a conversation on the phone while panting away.  Can anyone explain why people do this?

I have often asked the very same questions.  One of the things the gym is supposed to be about -- for me, anyway -- is to have an hour or so to myself when no one can get in contact with me.   It's very rare that something can't wait for an hour until I'm done working out.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 06:54:22 AM »
Sadly, you just get in the habit of carrying it everywhere. 
That's it exactly!  I truly feel naked without my phone.  It is everywhere with, but when I am working out.  I will take it to the golf course when I play but usually put “offline” or no ringer or vibrate.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 09:56:30 AM »

Or people think they are far too important to be without their phone
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 07:09:39 PM »

Or want us to think they are far too important to be without their phone
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 04:58:24 PM »

Or want us to think they are far too important to be without their phone

Yeah and some of that too
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Lex Luethor

• Sly Jr.
  • This *is* my happy face.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 07:37:06 AM »
And don't you just hate when women repeatedly use their cell phones to take pictures of you while you're working out?

;)