Author Topic: when there's a cure for hairloss  (Read 13211 times)

Offline bmw

• Learning the way of Sly
when there's a cure for hairloss
« on: March 02, 2008, 02:29:20 AM »
would you go for it? Or would you prefer to remain bald? Lets be honest, all of you would love to have a gorgeous head of hair, as would I. You all are doing a great job of making the best of a bad situation tho which is highly commendible. Science is understanding more and more about hair loss each day and the discovery of a hair loss gene (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23334554/) gives me hope that perhaps in a decade or less we'll see new and more effective drugs on the horizon and maybe even a cure? I'm new here btw so nice to meet you all in advance. :)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: when there's a cure for hairloss
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:02:59 AM »
would you go for it? Or would you prefer to remain bald? Lets be honest, all of you would love to have a gorgeous head of hair, as would I.
bmw...1st of all welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  2 answer your question...NO FRIGGIN' WAY...i choose 2 keep my slick smoooooth noggin' look over hair.  so...speak 4 yourself.  i'm sly 4 life and i'm loving it and there is no turning back. O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:42:37 AM »
Welcome aboard there, bmw.   Actually several of us here are totally BBC and could have full heads of head if we wanted.  So the answer from me as least has to be NO WAY, I like the shiny slick dome.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline no1birdman

• No Jokes
  • Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 06:05:07 AM »
Hi, no way, as u get older with hair u nearly always look your age, with no hair u are agless, I am 59 but i look better now than ever

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 07:41:03 AM »
As I'm BBC I could grow hair whenever I wanted, but I choose to stay bald and shiny cos I love it 8)

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 07:41:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
For me, that'd be a tough call. My wife hates the slick look on me, so for that reason I'd strongly consider taking advantage of improved technology. However, there are two big reasons that I keep the dome smooth:
1. I like it
2. I get complete relief from a painful scalp condition. I would think that the return of hair would result in the return of painful itching & flaking.

So, I'll take a pass.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 09:32:37 AM »
I am on the fence a little with this one.  My partner likes it, most people i know have got used to it.  I am still not quite at ease with it myself although that gets better all the time. 

Part of me says yeah would go for it like a shot, but the other part of me says that I have worked hard to come to terms with it - i have, and by paying for hair it would be like admitting defeat and vanity.  One thing i know for certain is that it doesnt seem to make any impact on what other people say or think, so cant see the point.  In fact I tend to find that i get comments from balding men all the time saying i wish i had the guts to do it!

Although i am sure that when there is a cure that many will take it, I think it will be a damning endightment of the society we live in and the emphasis placed upon a very specific set of norms.  In 200 years life will be very dull, as medical science will effectively enable us to all look the same.
A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 10:01:52 AM »
Not! I thank Mother Nature every day for taking my hair away. I can't imagine being encumbered with hair ever again.

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 10:03:11 AM »
No, but if there were a cure for hair, letting me go totally and permanently bald
I sure would go for it!  ;D

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 10:51:40 AM »

the other part of me says that I have worked hard to come to terms with it - i have, and by paying for hair it would be like admitting defeat and vanity. 

That's pretty much how I feel.  It took me a long time to get to this point and i would hate to go back now.  I'm not convinced that a cure will ever be found, anyway.

It's somewhat unusual to see older men who haven't experienced some degree of hair loss.  When I do come across those rare individuals, I have to say that they don't necessarily look any better than anyone else.  There is something very incongruous about a weatherd face underneath a thick thatch of hair and a teenager's low hairline.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 01:02:33 PM »
No way I've come to grips with not having hair and that was a hard reality why would I want to go through it in reverse. Plus now that I've gone sly I love it I should have done it way sooner. But I'm with Zeta If they come up with a way to go sly without having to shave everyday that works and doesn't cost a fortune then I'm all for that.

Offline sparkster123

• Sly Jr.
  • IM BALD
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 01:42:03 PM »
ill pass. i never had good hair when i had it.always more work styling and cleaning than just shaving and be done with it.pl;us i just love being bald after shaving it all off it just is great..

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 05:23:02 PM »
I have some MPB.  But when I embraced the "sly" look, I felt better about myself fairly quickly.   Besides, I like the carefree nature of being bald.  Plus I don't have to see my hair go grey.  My beard has already done that.   Yeah....I know I could shave off the facial hair or color it.  But for me shaving the face is more of a chore than shaving the head.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »
I will simply just respond with NO!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 08:11:04 PM »
Even if I didn't own this site, the benefits of shaving my head out weigh having hair by over 100 to 1.  Also, they are talking about taking a drug and that always means side effects.  So, no thanks!  Shoot, look at what propecia does to you and it only "stops hair from falling out" on a small percentage of men.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.