Author Topic: G'Day  (Read 4507 times)

Offline G-Man

• Learning the way of Sly
G'Day
« on: December 14, 2006, 03:19:04 AM »
Haere Mai - Welcome

Well,  I've been lurking around  for over a month now, and after 2 friendly reminders to  introduce myself,  here's my intro...

I live in New Zealand, and have been a baldie for about 8 weeks now....

For me going bald was a spur of a moment decision, but what helped  me go over the 'edge' was the confidence I had gained earlier on in the year in getting a piercing (probably my first and only one piercing).

Strange as it may sounds, interacting with people with the knowledge that I had a piece of metal on my body which they didn't  know about,  really gave me the confidence  to go for 'it' and shave off my hair.

I would guess that this is not what a 'normal' person would do, but really deep inside me lies a rebel waiting to be let out.

Well, before going bald,  I did some research on the internet (found this web-site amongst others), and then ignored most of their suggestions like...

Get a 'professional' to shave your head for the 1st time.
By 'professional' I mean either an experienced barber,  or someone you know that already shaves their head.
This term would include the vast majority ogf perople who post to ths forum.

I found a shop in NZ that sold the ‘Headblade’, and purchased one.  I went to a barber and got a number one cut.  I then went home, and 'attempted' to shave my head.

Boy was that a big mistake.  Before I knew what had happened, I had blood streaming from cuts on both sides of the head..  I must have  looked really funny trying to staunch the blood flow as well as having a couple or three razor burns. ( I didn't realise that the capillaries on the head are really close to the surface).

As an end result of not going to a professional, I had to spend the next week or so with these horrible razor burns on both sides of my head before shelling out what is the equivalent of USD80 (in real terms) to get my head shaved properly.

Shave in  1 direction only.
Well I decided that as well as going with,  and against the grain,  I would also go diagonally across the grain.  I think that also probably contributed to my cuts, but hey, obviously I knew better than all of those experts out there on the world web. ;D

The good thing though, is that I’ve had very positive feedback from everybody concerned, as they all have said that I suit a ‘chrome’ dome.  The 1st day I went into work,  everybody thought that there was a stranger sitting at my desk, until I answered the phone.

One habit that I’ve kept up though, and that is still to shampoo my ‘noggin’ every morning,  prior to shaving it .  This is because it still doesn’t feel right to not  shampoo my head when I shower.

Weird, I know, but don’t forget that this is coming from a guy who thinks that the best 2 things he has done for himself over the last couple of years is to get a piece of metal inserted as well as ensuring that he has no hair on top.… ;D

Graeme.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 02:58:41 AM by G-Man »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: G'Day
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 03:50:01 AM »
G-man!  I've seen you lurk around the site in the last couple of weeks.  8)  Glad you decided to introduce yourself to us with that great post!  Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 06:01:40 AM »
G-man: "I would guess that this is not what a 'normal' person would do, but really deep inside me lies a rebel waiting to be let out."

Aye, a rebel...

We all are.

Welcome, G-Man! Great to have you with us.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 03:41:12 AM by happyharry »
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 06:20:46 AM »
Welcome, G-man-meister !!

I'm a little confused by your shaving advice.  So you _DO_ recommend going to a professional the first time?

For the rest of the gang:  I've not heard this advice to date on this forum.  Sounds interesting [if willing to shell out the bucks].   Has anyone else gotten their noggin shaved at a pro barber? (first time or otherwise).

BaldRob

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 06:21:38 AM »
Hi and Welcome G-Man!

Thanks for sharing your decision and process for chroming the dome!

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 08:54:37 AM »
Welcome and congrats!

Just curious, do the jack up the price of the headblade because its imported?

Then I'd really be poor.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 09:54:04 AM »

I'm a little confused by your shaving advice.  So you _DO_ recommend going to a professional the first time?

For the rest of the gang:  I've not heard this advice to date on this forum.  Sounds interesting [if willing to shell out the bucks].   Has anyone else gotten their noggin shaved at a pro barber? (first time or otherwise).

I had my head shaved profesionally (with a straight razor) at the Art of Shaving barber and spa in NYC a couple of years ago.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 12:05:09 PM »

I had my head shaved profesionally (with a straight razor) at the Art of Shaving barber and spa in NYC a couple of years ago.

I've had it done twice at a "barber" shop.   The first one was done with a traditional razor and came out great.   The second one was with a straight edge and left so many nicks/redness/cuts that I wished I had my money back.

Since then no need, I just use my electric shaver once a day unless I am lazy.   I can get it close enough myself and save the 15 bucks I would spend getting it professionally done.  I have been OCD about it, but I have started to overcome my perfectionism in it.

And I definitely like shaving gel over cream if you are a regular razor user because you can see where you are shaving, while shaving.
bald for life

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 12:43:51 PM »
Welcome G-man and Congrats on your decision!!  That sucks that you had a few strays on the learning curve, but it is great that you got everything down now.  Glad to see you passing on some knowledge and reaffirming some other’s.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline G-Man

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 02:53:34 AM »

I apologise for not replying earlier on, but work has been really hectic as Christmas has drawn ever so closer. 

Many thanks to everybody who has welcomed me over to the 'sly' side of life.  I didn't realise what a really welcoming community 'baldies' were until I did the started to 'lurk' around this board.

Rob-meister.

By no way, can I be considered an expert in head shaving.  I went back and reread the webpages I had originally gone to, and what they said was to get a professional like a barber or someone else who has shaved their head to do it the first time.

I wished I had chosen the option of asking my bald mates for advice,  but I was a bit scared as to whet would say.  I should has done this as I would have gained a lot of experience/knowledge.

Instread what I could have done, and what you have done, is to call on the worldwide community of experienced sly guys that you will find on this bulletin board.

Noner,

The price of the headblade sourced locally is just under double the price of the US price.  This pricing is normal when you compare prices on US goods, versus the same goods when imported and purchased in a NZ shop.   This is because the  NZ retailer has to pay freight as well as imports duties and GST - local sales tax.

I have also ordered  off the headblade website and the pricing has worked about to be about the same as  purchasing locally.

This premium is something I was willing to pay, as I still tremble at the thought of using a safety razor on my head. 

As a price comparison, a Gillette Mach 3 shaver is about USD3 cheaper.

As well, the NZ store only sells the headblade, headslick and the lubes , and the main reason why I did a mail order was to order a skull cap as well as a t-shirt.

I hope that everybody has a great Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

G-Man

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 06:41:29 AM »
Rob-meister.

By no way, can I be considered an expert in head shaving.  I went back and reread the webpages I had originally gone to, and what they said was to get a professional like a barber or someone else who has shaved their head to do it the first time.

I wished I had chosen the option of asking my bald mates for advice,  but I was a bit scared as to whet would say.  I should has done this as I would have gained a lot of experience/knowledge.

Instread what I could have done, and what you have done, is to call on the worldwide community of experienced sly guys that you will find on this bulletin board.

Hey...just simply sharing you're perspective opened the door for me to ask more about a pro-barber headshave.  Turns out that The Art of Shaving took care of Tyler very nicely in Manhattan....and they also have a shop here in Denver.  Apparently T.A.O.S. has barbers that SPECIALIZE in shaving, but by so-called "MASTER" barbers.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 08:12:30 PM »
welcome g-day.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 10:58:58 PM »
Welcome to the club G'Day - and Merry Christmas
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 01:16:43 PM »
Great to see a member from the southern hemisphere.

Look forward to your future posts!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Enter your email address: