Author Topic: freckles on head  (Read 16052 times)

Offline slick agent

• Sly Guy in Training
freckles on head
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »
hey guys just wondering is it normal to have freckles on head, and is it more likely to get skin cancer if u do ?  i work inside all day the only time i am outside is when i walk to my truck. thank you

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: freckles on head
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:27:53 AM »
It's a bit of a wive's tale that freckles cause melanoma. Rather, melanoma's are often confused for freckles. If you think one of your freckles looks differently from the others, or has changed size, color or shape, you should get a doctor to check it out.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 11:40:32 AM »
Yeah what bootedbear said.  I have a few freakles on my head but only a few..i just watch them closely. 
While we are on the subject of freakles...my shoulders....especially on top of them.  I have never had freakles there before.  About 10 years ago while vacationing in sunny Mrytle Beach my brother and I got some really bad sunburn.  I actually had to go to the emergency room while I was there because i actually huge blisters on my shoulders.    About 2 years later I start getting these "freakles" on my shoulders.  They have never bothered me or anything....so I guess what I am asking ....should they be of concern to me??

Timmmay

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:12:07 PM »
I'm not a doctor (but my sister is) but I'd suggest that  anything of concern should be checked out during your next physical. Melanoma is a very serious cancer and it just doesn't pay to take chances.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »
I'm a veteran, so to speak.  Five basal cell & one squamous cell skin cancers.  As mentioned watch for changes, and any bleeding or swelling--if that happens, get to your dematologist.  Low possibility of any long term issues if they're removed.  I'm just finishing w/ some Mohs surgery on a couple--the doctor cuts out the offending tissue and examines it while you wait for any stray cancer cells on the margins, and if none he sews you up, if he finds some he cuts until clear then sews you up.  Not a big thing.  Just watch for changes, bleeding or swelling.  I have one buddy who had a melanoma missed by his old doctor, and the melanoma is the big baby for danger.  Now he changes dematologists every two years!! 
Since two of mine were in my scalp, pre-sly, I can attest to the fact that it's now easier to see changes and easier for the doctor to check too.  I also have some freckles, brown spots, whatever.  If I were a woman I guess they'd be beauty spots, but for me they just add "interest" to my handsome, shiney dome!

Offline slick agent

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »
well I did go see a doctor about it and he said they were freckles and not to worry about it, cause I told him my main concern was skin cancer. but he said I had nothing to worry about but I do have a quite few. they are all round shaped though.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »
Good that you had 'em checked out!  I've got a bunch of freckles too since exposing my scalp to the sun.  :-\

My Dr. is pretty cool.  I had her check mine out too and also mentioned I had a small mole I kept cutting when I shaved.  She went and got her kit and removed it for me.  She then checked out the rest of my scalp and kisser for anything else that looked suspicious.

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 03:34:11 PM »
Slick Agent, sounds like you should be ok.  Just remember to always wear at least an SPF 15 when you're going to be outdoors.  I even wear it everyday just to be sure.  Though, it sounds like you should just keep a small tube in your truck for when you think you might be outdoors longer than a couple of minutes.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline slick agent

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 05:09:46 PM »
thanks guys I do carry the coopertone sport sweat proff which is like spf 45 but thanks a bunch guys.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 04:46:42 AM »
The Opinionated Walrus is quite right, any spot on your body that seems to have an odd shape or color or has even changed in appearance, get it checked out straight away!

Skin cancer can be very deadly. There was a girl here in Australia 6 months ago who died from Melanoma at the age of 26.

Enter your email address: