Author Topic: Fitness Goal for AR3  (Read 6085 times)

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Fitness Goal for AR3
« on: December 12, 2006, 11:03:51 PM »
I apologize upfront cause this might sound a bit conceded.  I love the idea of the fitness challenge, but I had a hard time thinking up what I should make my goal.  Finally, I came up with one.  Lately my body fat has worked up from 12% to 24% for the last 6 years.  My goal is to get back to the 12% to 15% range.  Now, I’m not talking about pre-match wrestling cut weight techniques.  I want to keep this fat off, for a few years at least.
Plan of attack in additional to my usual core strength routine I need to integrate 30 minutes 5 days a week of fat burn heart rate exercises, biking, swimming or running.  It probably won’t hurt either to cut back on the excessive drinking. :'(
Maybe next year I’ll knock out that triathlon.  :-\

"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Fitness Goal for AR3
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 11:29:48 PM »
Sounds good man!  Is there anything we can do to keep you on track?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 11:54:05 PM »
No you guys are doing enough with everybody getting goals!  That's providing some great motivation, bro!
Wait a minute… there is one thing that I did forget to mention.  I have recently started measuring my body fat with the new electro-pulse scales, and have realized deviation in the numbers based on hydration level and other off the wall stuff.  Does anybody have experience with these scales?  What is the best way to get the most accurate reading with the scale?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 11:59:38 PM »
I have an electronic scale that measure body fat also.  I don't know if it's the same that you use, but I also notice weird fluctuations in the body fat percentage that it gives.  I've basically lost trust in it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 12:10:36 AM »
The one I have is suppose to be among the better ones on the market (at least 1.5 years ago) and it gives about a 2% flux in either direction with no really reason to change.  It’s not that big of a deal since I have no need to land on a specific number, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 07:04:51 AM »
12% to 15%!!.....you go, boy!!

From what I've come to learn is that body fat indicators rate on a scale from 1 to 4 (4 being best) like this:

4 = water/dunk tank
3 = calipers
2 = body fat chart
1 = electronic scale  :P

Most gyms will do the calipers for you.  Never done the water tank, but there out there somewhere.

I usually used a body fat chart where the % is based on a combination of your height, weight, waist measurement and WRIST measurement.  Since it's not a critical measurement for you, that might work.
I once found a free online site where you plug these figures in and hit enter and it gives a %.

You could also do the water tank or calipers once and then use the chart to see how they vary.   So if the tank or calipers came up with 24% and the chart or online calculator said 28%, you could use the chart regularly and just know that your actual % is 4% less.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 09:24:58 AM »
Thanks! The army actually uses system of comparing waist measurement to neck measurements.  It'll get you within the ballpark, but it is not dead on accurate.  I think I'll do a few methods and compare results then go form there.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 02:13:12 AM by ar3inc »

BaldRob

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 08:33:56 PM »
Thank! The army actually uses system of comparing waist measurement to neck measurements.  It'll get you within the ballpark, but it is not dead on accurate.  I think I'll do a few methods and compare results then go form there.

Ah the rope and choke!!  One thing I don't miss about the Navy...

Good luck AR!  We're all in this together!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
i would have to think that just measuring waist and wrist sizes can be inaccurate. if it was just a chart then how would it allow from frame structure. for instance my frame structure might be bigger than someone else's. my doctor told me that under 180 would probably be too light for my frame. i saw a vague chart that said i should be about 150-160 for my height. who knows the truth. i feel like the water tank would be the best way.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »
Yeah tape measurements aren't very accurate.  I think they are about 80% or something like that.

Just a status update according to the Tanita body fat scale I'm at 20% to 22% depending on the day.