Author Topic: Wondering about electric shavers  (Read 3147 times)

Offline ryebread

• Sly Jr.
Wondering about electric shavers
« on: February 17, 2008, 04:16:57 AM »
Is there an electric shaver that gives a shave as close as a razor? I have heard great things about the Panasonic Vortex but can someone let me know if that one or another would do the job as well as my Fusion Power? Thanks to all of you in advance.

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
Re: Wondering about electric shavers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:10:45 AM »
I use the Braun 360 complete, which comes with an automatic cleaning unit.  I've been very happy with the closeness of shave I get with it.  I've owned several Braun shavers over the years and this is the best one  yet.  The others were great when brand new but diminished quickly.  I think it's the cleaning unit that keeps this one performing like new.  I do have to change the cartridges with cleaning soution monthly, but after 1 year this thing is still performing like new.

Did my face only with it up until going sly 5 months ago.  I was planning to switch to headblade at some point, but so far the Braun has done well enough for me ....
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 09:34:39 AM »
Though there are some really good ones out there, I don't think yer gonna find any electric shaver that gets as close a shave as a good razor...expecially FUSION.

Seems like they would be more convenient at times.  Haven't done the electric shaver thing myself

Offline sgbsteve

• BBC And Lovin It
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »
I haven't tried an electric in several years but when I used them in the past they didn't get as close as a blade.  Also I'm BBC and my hair is pretty thick so I had to work at it a bit with the electric and they got uncomfortably hot on my scalp after a while.  Its probably one of those areas where your mileage may vary depending on your hair.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:41:43 AM »
Many years ago I used an electric shaver & still used it when I was traveling for the day (shave in the car `Dr!v while I was talking on my cell phone, reading the paper, eating a doughnut D*0g, and drinking a cup of coffee), but recently tossed it. I never used it for the dome, because I don't think there's anything that beats a close razor shave.  8)

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Barbarian

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »
I've tried a few electrics over the years but not really found one that worked for me, although some guys swear by them so I guess it's an individual thing, give it a go, you never know !

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 11:35:13 AM »
I cheat every once in a while and use my Braun, it's one of the best electrics out there.  It takes longer and is more irritating to my scalp.  Also, there's no way it's even half as close as a blade!  :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 12:33:27 AM »
I got the closest shave with the Cool Skin 7700 model, but it didn't get anywhere near the closeness of a blade.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Nixx

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 04:51:20 PM »
I use the Vortex and have wonderful results.  It's the fastest RPM blade you can get in an electric razor, and I find that I get a blade-like shave when used in the shower.  Results will vary from person to person, but overall I'm happy with it.  The self cleaning / drying base makes it nice as well.  As I said in another post, you will get best results if used every couple days as the longer stubble-at least for me-makes the process longer. 
"...We're bigger than U.S. Steel."
-Hyman Roth, The Godfather: Part II