Author Topic: a new guy with a dilemma  (Read 4864 times)

Offline voodoochild

• Learning the way of Sly
a new guy with a dilemma
« on: February 16, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »
Hello everyone, I stumbled across this site a few hours ago and, having read quite a few of the posts, have decided to register.

My hair stated falling out when I was around 18 (I'm now 26) and for a while I fought it. I suppose I tried to pretend it wasn't happening. But eventually I managed to find the courage to shave it all off. Since I did so I was much happier and much more confident. Then at the age of around 24 something strange happened. It started to grow back. And did so quite a lot.

However, around the end of December the hair on the top of my head began to go and it resumed falling out at the front. Since I started shaving it all it's been very short. Number 0. But here's my question: Do you think I should continue to have it like this or should I get my Gillette razor out and take it off competely?

I been looking in the mirror all the time trying to imagine what I would look like with no hair at all. I'm not sure whether it would really suit me or whether I would look like a freak. I've had various positive comments from people over the last few years saying that the shaven look really looks good, but I'm not sure about going that one step further.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
VC

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: a new guy with a dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 10:21:11 PM »
OK VOODOO CHILD... let me tell you this.  You come in a forum for bald guys and ask us if you should shave it all off...LOL...what do you think the answer is going to be....???
I say, and probably many others will say ...shave it off.  You wont know until you try. 
About looking like a freak....you wont look like a freak.  Only you will think that, but its normal because its a drastic change.  Everyone feels different when you shave it off.  You have mentioned that it made you feel happy and gave you much more confidence.  So why would you hold back on doing it again?  How long did you have it that way?  A few months? a year?  2 years? 
I would just find it hard for me to grow my hair back.  I have been this way since June of 2007 and I dont see anywhere in the near future of me growing it back.  Only way that would happen is if they quit making razors...and then at that I would have to revert to the old indian days and carve a blade out of a rock. 
You should post a pic up of yourself and show us all what you look like in a before and after pic. 
Sorry if I sounded a$$hole-ish at the begining..it wasnt meant to sound that way.  Just found it funny..well not funny ...but damnit yo know what i mean ..lol
Good luck and give us more feedback on what you decide to do
Timmayyyyy!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 10:26:08 PM »
I been looking in the mirror all the time trying to imagine what I would look like with no hair at all.
vc...1st of all welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya found us.  that statement in your own quotes..."I been looking in the mirror all the time trying to imagine what I would look like with no hair at all".  SAYS IT ALL....anytime one has thoughts of shaving their noggin' smoooooth than that person will never B satisfied until he actually "takes the plunge" or "does the deed"....in other words shaves ones head smooooth.  so...i think U should satisfy your thoughts by scraping your noggin' smoooooth with a quality razor and JUST DO IT!!!  O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:56:25 AM »
VC, give it a shot!  If anything it's not going to take you more than two days to grow it back to a 0.  I'm sure you'll find that you don't look like a freak.

Glad you decided to register!  Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 05:00:25 AM »
Voodoo-

Welcome to the Forum..... and DO IT! Dude, we all love shaving our heads. As Tyler said, it will grow back in no time if you don't like it.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 06:27:47 AM »
Hey voodoo, welcome aboard.  Shave it!  You're at a zero now so if you don't like it, you are just a few days away from your current hair length.  Gotta warn ya though, go sly is addictive and chances are you're going to love the way it looks.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 07:25:58 AM »
Welcome VoodooChild (cool name). Like others have said, I also suggest that you give it a try. If you don't like it, growing it back to a 0 length is a short process.

Cheers!
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 07:46:41 AM »
There's no question that you should just shave it all off.  At the very worst, you won't like how it looks for the two days it takes to grow back.  As I've stated before, I don't know how guys can go as short as a zero without taking the rest off.  I went down to a zero, intending to keep it that way for a few months.  About ten minutes after getting my first zero-guard cut, I was standing in front of the bathroom mirror, shaving my head slick.

Do it.  You'll LOVE it.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 07:53:27 AM »
Voodoo-

One thing to consider, when you shave it all off the first time you're probably going to go "WHOA!". get it a few days and a few shaves before you decide you don't like it....... if indeed you don't ... but I doubt that will be the case.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Spleener

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »
Hey Voodoo,

I went through the same basic progression...my hair started thinnning at around 30, and when I hit 35 I started buzzing. Like a lot of guys I went down through the guards as the hair thinned until I hit the no-guard point. I found this forum about six months ago, when I started seriously thinking about shaving it off. I finally did it a little over a week ago. I can't imagine going back.

The buzzed look works for quite a while in terms of not accentuating the hair loss (and avoiding any suggestion of combover, which eventually becomes an issue unless you go really short, even if that's not what you're trying to do). I just got to a point where I realized I was on the verge of doing the fringe thing, since there was so little left on top.

I think you'll really like the difference. I know reactions from friends and family vary, but I've gotten nothing but positive responses (especially at work, which is a very consertative environment). And, when you're down to a 0 guard, you'll be back to that length in a couple days if you hate it. I shaved on a Saturday morning to give it a little time to grow out if I didn't like it, but I loved the look right away.

Good, luck, man. Post a pic if you decide to go all the way.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com" target="blank"> [img width= height=]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080210/sampa9ce80c0d1455181.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline voodoochild

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 11:59:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, not to mention the encouragement. I know that shaving it completely of with a razor is something that I'll do eventually. I think I just need a little time to prepare myself. It's strange, but whenever I see a completely bald man in the street (even relatively young ones, like myself) or the pictures of the members of this forum, I always think they look fine. Much better than they would if they were trying to cover it up. But the way I view myself is very different. Although, a lot of other people have it kind if suits me.

Thanks again for the replies. I appreciate it.
VC

marty22

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 01:49:22 PM »
Thinning here at 20 and badly at 30 and then nothing at 45 with old hair transplants. Nowadays; a buzz look is good for say a week and I want it shaved clean. So, clean-shaved is the way to go. It looks better.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 04:23:06 PM »
VC, Welcome to the Sly Forum.Great to have you hear.

I reckon you should get the trusty Gilette razor and shave your head slick bald.It is a very liberating and powerful feeling, one that actually becomes such a great feeling, it is almost an addiction for many of us.

Go for it!

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 10:37:31 PM »
Welcome bro!

Yup, go for it.  No longer the victim, you'll be amazed how freeing it is to take control of your own hair destiny!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline dieseldan04

• Dieseldan04
  • Sly
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 01:05:52 AM »
Just go for it!  I spent years thinking that my hair would quit falling out, now I have no worries.
Dieseldan04

Shine On Fellow Chrome Domers!

Enter your email address: