Author Topic: Soccer  (Read 8497 times)

Offline IrishCasey

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Cead Mile Failte!
Re: Soccer
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 12:00:40 PM »
Lads soccer is the greatest game on earth  8)
I do understand though why you might think its boring as it is low scoring but i Love it  :@`

While I respect your opinion Casey, need to give American Football a try, Gaelic football with a lot of padding.  I go to Chicago's southside where you can catch some good Gaelic Football matches.  I confess to be a rugby fan as well, but the games are hard to get over here.  For excitement you forgot to mention Hurling. 

Didn't think anyone here would have heard of Gaelic Football or Hurling...And they really are the greatest sports on earth...
For anyone thats hasn't a clue what im on about....watch these  O0
These are the national sports of Ireland

Sinne Firnna Fáil
A tá fé gheall ag Éirinn,
buion dár slua
Thar toinn do ráinig chugainn,
Fé mhóid bheith saor.
Sean tír ár sinsir feasta
Ní fhagfar fé'n tiorán ná fé'n tráil
Anocht a théam sa bhearna bhaoil,

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 12:10:34 PM »
  For excitement you forgot to mention Hurling

!*u%e
What's so exciting about that?  :/O

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Braco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 06:51:18 PM »
Been a United fan for as long as i can remember. Mostly due to the danish keeper Peter Schmeichel. But my all time hero must be Eric Cantona. Loved his attitude even though he sometimes lost his grip. (the Crystal Palace episode)
I expect a win against Arsenal this week but its gonna be a difficult match. But they have to gear up after last weeks humiliation against Man City.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 05:44:12 AM »
Casey, I'm sure you are aware of Aussie Rules Football which is a relative of Gaelic.

I always enjoy watching the International Rules games.

Tadgh Kennealy,who plays for the AFL team Sydney Swans , played Gaelic from what I am aware.

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 11:48:30 AM »
Lads soccer is the greatest game on earth  8)
I do understand though why you might think its boring as it is low scoring but i Love it  :@`
Huge soccer fan, looking forward to a relaxing fa cup weekend O0

Also looking forward to the FA Cup..Liverpool are playing Barnsley so i expect them to win by at least 3

thought I would be the first to say it...... Liverpool 1 Barnsley 2, now that is what soccer is all about, what an upset but fairly typical of liverpools season this year.

On the plymouth front, they last time we went to forest we won 3 - 0, i lived in nottingham then so of course went, what a day!  I like many others was a bit peeved when holloway left, but he went for more money and to a bigger club in finance and stature if not in league standing.  However he spent the 18 months he was at plymouth saying how he loved the place and would get us promoted, then he leaves at the first opportunity.  However we have Sturrock now, a better manager, Holloway is close to the sack and we beat them live on Sky last week, so cant complain!
A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

jp_bald

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »
i like the socer, and i am a fan of a colombian team, deportivo independiente medellin.
i go the stadium all sundays.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 03:23:52 PM »
jp_bald, is Medellin deportivo the best team?

Como se llama la liga de futbol Colombiana?

Offline IrishCasey

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Cead Mile Failte!
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 04:18:08 PM »
Casey, I'm sure you are aware of Aussie Rules Football which is a relative of Gaelic.

I always enjoy watching the International Rules games.

Tadgh Kennealy,who plays for the AFL team Sydney Swans , played Gaelic from what I am aware.

Yeah i love Aussie Rules and went to loads of games when i lived in Australia
Ireland play Australia every year in a combined Aussie rules/Gaelic Football game
Tadgh Kennealy isn't the only Irish man playing in the AFL,There is also Colm Begley who plays for the Brisbane Lions and Setanta O'Halpin who plays for Carlton..There are others too

Sinne Firnna Fáil
buion dár slua
Fé mhóid bheith saor.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 06:44:30 PM »
Im a big soccer fan myself, iam a fan of Bayern Munich, Feyenoord, Celtic, AC Milan, FC Barcelona, and Arsenal

Offline IrishCasey

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Cead Mile Failte!
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 01:13:03 PM »
Im a big soccer fan myself, iam a fan of Bayern Munich, Feyenoord, Celtic, AC Milan, FC Barcelona, and Arsenal

I was over in Barcelona at the end of January at a game,Some stadium  :o
Have been to see Celtic play a few times too

Sinne Firnna Fáil
buion dár slua
Fé mhóid bheith saor.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 01:47:28 PM »
Casey, how did you get the National Anthem on your screen.  That is awesome!
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 03:59:06 PM »
I worked for many years with an Irish fella from Dublin and he couldnt speak a lick of Gaelic, I wasnt impressed. I was like "You Irish are some of the most patriotic nationalistic people on earth and you dont even speak your indigenous language,shame on you!!" I used to give him a ribbing all the time.LOL

My grandmother spoke fluent Irish Gaelic. Combine that with  my grandfathers harsh Arabic ,needless to say it was interesting.

Offline Tommo

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Bald , Proud.....and Single.....
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 03:00:24 PM »
Im probably the only British guy on here, i call it soccer but to you and i football, the team i follow is READING. FC cause that where im from, we have a good irish contingency at reading........
TOMMO........

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »
There have been so many attempts to kindle some interest in this country for soccer but it never works. Maybe you have to be born and raised with it.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »
Casey, what does the Irish say...? My translator doesn't have an Irish to English setting.

Enter your email address: