Author Topic: Soccer  (Read 8396 times)

Offline IrishCasey

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Cead Mile Failte!
Soccer
« on: February 12, 2008, 01:32:50 PM »
Hi Im only new here so not sure if anyone likes soccer or would maybe like to discuss World soccer ?

Sinne Firnna Fáil
A tá fé gheall ag Éirinn,
buion dár slua
Thar toinn do ráinig chugainn,
Fé mhóid bheith saor.
Sean tír ár sinsir feasta
Ní fhagfar fé'n tiorán ná fé'n tráil
Anocht a théam sa bhearna bhaoil,

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Soccer
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:36:07 PM »
Welcome Casey!! You'll love hanging out with this crowd! Sorry, but I'm not a soccer guy..... baseball, basketball, and American football for me....
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Kyfho

• Above all...remember K.y.f.h.o.
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »
First off...welcome Casey. Second...although I do not know much about soccer, I am very interested in the game.  I have a good friend who plays regularly, and he and I watched much of the last World Cup together (I admit I was very into the game even before Zidane's episode), so I am trying to learn more about it.  Anyway...I'd be very interested in any insights you have into the game or advice on how to more effectively watch.
I'm also interested in several other non-American sports (especially rugby and cricket) so if you're a fan of any others, let me know!  Who knows...maybe I can impart some of my love of baseball on you at the same time.

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 02:56:48 PM »
Evenin' Casey......soccer??  you mean football surely!! :D 

Being from just over the Irish Sea myself, I can talk about football all day long.  An avid Plymouth Argyle fan, not quite Liverpool, but after tonights cracking 3-0 against Barnsley the premier league looks like it might at last be a realistic possibility.  So long as we get there once before i die i will be happy!! 

World football though, what a bad time to talk about that if you are from the UK.  Not sure whether or not you guys in the US have heard about this yet, but the Premier League here have decided that it would be a great idea to add one extra game to the season and play it over seas.  The top five teams would be seeded and so wouldnt play each other, and the games will count towards the result at the end of the season. 

Crazy is all i can say, and is there really a market.  I can understand getting great support in Asia for a team like Manchester United, but can you imagine anyone in say Chicago wanting to watch Derby against Reading?  There are barely enough people here who care about that.  Also given that 3 teams get relegated from the premier league every year, imagine if you are teetering above the relegation zone, and you get drawn against Man U or Liverpool, who you end up effectively playing 3 times, whereas your nearest rivals play say, Wigan and Bolton. 

The Premier LEague is destroying football in this country, becoming a soleless, money machine ruled by people who care little for the game and a lot for their wallets.  The guys who own Liverpool now, Hicks and Gillette know nothing at all about the game.  We are in real danger of sanitising what is a great game - but i suppose at the end of the day money talks!

On a more American theme - what do you guys think about the Beckams does anyone care any more? 

Look forward to hearing more of what you have to say Casey.
A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 03:06:05 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but I don't think anyone really cares about the Beckham thing (and I live pretty close to it in Northern California). Personally I love soccer (prefer to coaching & playing rather than watching). Went to a few of the world cup games when it was here in '94. Insane atmosphere.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline IrishCasey

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Cead Mile Failte!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »
Evenin' Casey......soccer??  you mean football surely!! :D 

Being from just over the Irish Sea myself, I can talk about football all day long.  An avid Plymouth Argyle fan, not quite Liverpool, but after tonights cracking 3-0 against Barnsley the premier league looks like it might at last be a realistic possibility.  So long as we get there once before i die i will be happy!! 

World football though, what a bad time to talk about that if you are from the UK.  Not sure whether or not you guys in the US have heard about this yet, but the Premier League here have decided that it would be a great idea to add one extra game to the season and play it over seas.  The top five teams would be seeded and so wouldnt play each other, and the games will count towards the result at the end of the season. 

Crazy is all i can say, and is there really a market.  I can understand getting great support in Asia for a team like Manchester United, but can you imagine anyone in say Chicago wanting to watch Derby against Reading?  There are barely enough people here who care about that.  Also given that 3 teams get relegated from the premier league every year, imagine if you are teetering above the relegation zone, and you get drawn against Man U or Liverpool, who you end up effectively playing 3 times, whereas your nearest rivals play say, Wigan and Bolton. 

The Premier LEague is destroying football in this country, becoming a soleless, money machine ruled by people who care little for the game and a lot for their wallets.  The guys who own Liverpool now, Hicks and Gillette know nothing at all about the game.  We are in real danger of sanitising what is a great game - but i suppose at the end of the day money talks!

On a more American theme - what do you guys think about the Beckams does anyone care any more? 

Look forward to hearing more of what you have to say Casey.

We actually call it soccer here in Ireland Argyle as we already have a sport here called Football or to give it its proper name Gaelic Football...
So your a Plymouth fan poor you!! Only joking!
I saw Plymouth play a few years ago against Notts Forest,My mate is a big Forest fan so we go over to the UK on a regular basis to the City Ground
I myself am a massive Liverpool fan,and have been for about 25 years but as you know things aren't going to well for them this year.
We had big news in Ireland today Giovanni Trapattoni  the legendary Italian manager is too be named as out new National coach tomorrow so thats great news
What did you think when Holloway left Plymouth? I thought it was strange for him to leave a club with a chance of promotion..
I would also always keep a eye on Tranmere Rovers results for my sins! As John Aldridge was my hero as a young fella and when he went to them as a player and then manager i started following them

Sinne Firnna Fáil
buion dár slua
Fé mhóid bheith saor.

Offline IrishCasey

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Cead Mile Failte!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 03:45:27 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but I don't think anyone really cares about the Beckham thing (and I live pretty close to it in Northern California). Personally I love soccer (prefer to coaching & playing rather than watching). Went to a few of the world cup games when it was here in '94. Insane atmosphere.

That was a great World Cup,I'll never forget the Republic of Ireland beating Italy 1-0 in the Giants Stadium..
As for the Beckhams..I actually like David Beckham..I do think he is overated as a soccer player though but I think that was down to the English media more than anything else,who made him out to be as good as George Best..he was good but not that good!
I feel sorry for him because of his wife she more than anyone is the reason the Beckhams are the way they are,I reckon David would be as happy still playing in the Premiership and not have all the gltiz and glamour thats follows them everywhere they go

Sinne Firnna Fáil
buion dár slua
Fé mhóid bheith saor.

Offline IrishCasey

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Cead Mile Failte!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 04:57:35 PM »
First off...welcome Casey. Second...although I do not know much about soccer, I am very interested in the game.  I have a good friend who plays regularly, and he and I watched much of the last World Cup together (I admit I was very into the game even before Zidane's episode), so I am trying to learn more about it.  Anyway...I'd be very interested in any insights you have into the game or advice on how to more effectively watch.
I'm also interested in several other non-American sports (especially rugby and cricket) so if you're a fan of any others, let me know!  Who knows...maybe I can impart some of my love of baseball on you at the same time.

Would have little or no intrest in Cricket,though i did watch a few games last year when Ireland played in the Cricket World Cup and beat Pakistan whom im told are one of the better teams..
I would be a big fan of Rugby though and often go to watch Ireland play in the Six Nations
As for Baseball,I have never seen or been to a game so maybe you can explain some of it too me sometime

Sinne Firnna Fáil
buion dár slua
Fé mhóid bheith saor.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 05:05:41 PM »

As for Baseball,I have never seen or been to a game so maybe you can explain some of it too me sometime

Baseball is akin to cricket, except a baseball game takes three hours instead of three days.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Braco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 04:55:03 PM »
Huge soccer fan, looking forward to a relaxing fa cup weekend O0

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 06:39:15 PM »
Sorry of offend anyone, But I think Cricket is the most boring game on earth.

As far as European Football or Soccer, I have never been a fanatical about it as the Europeans are. Our high school had quite a good soccer team during the late 90's. I have never personally played it in competition but I always enjoy watching the World Cup games.

David Beckhams new team, The LA Galaxy played an exhibition game against the local Australian League heavyweights, Sydney FC. Sydney FC won 4-1, Beckham scored LA"s only goal. A free kick nonetheless.

The Aussies were so amped that they "beat" a US team. I felt very sorry for them, I didnt have the nerve to tell them that ,Beckham or not, LA Galaxy were the worst team in  Major League Soccer.

Beating the worst ranked team in the league is no special feat.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
I have to say that I find soccer highlight reels to be fun to watch, but sitting through an entire game is torture!  About the same as Hockey.  The reason being is that it's so low scoring for how long the game is.  I did enjoy playing it when I was a kid.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 12:20:38 AM »
I have to say that I find soccer highlight reels to be fun to watch, but sitting through an entire game is torture!  About the same as Hockey.  The reason being is that it's so low scoring for how long the game is.

Amen to that.  I'll add watching baseball on TV to the boredom list -- in person is a totally different story -- I love the atmosphere of a ball park.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline IrishCasey

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Cead Mile Failte!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 11:31:23 AM »
Lads soccer is the greatest game on earth  8)
I do understand though why you might think its boring as it is low scoring but i Love it  :@`
Huge soccer fan, looking forward to a relaxing fa cup weekend O0

Also looking forward to the FA Cup..Liverpool are playing Barnsley so i expect them to win by at least 3

Sinne Firnna Fáil
buion dár slua
Fé mhóid bheith saor.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 11:45:28 AM »
Lads soccer is the greatest game on earth  8)
I do understand though why you might think its boring as it is low scoring but i Love it  :@`

While I respect your opinion Casey, need to give American Football a try, Gaelic football with a lot of padding.  I go to Chicago's southside where you can catch some good Gaelic Football matches.  I confess to be a rugby fan as well, but the games are hard to get over here.  For excitement you forgot to mention Hurling. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:49:29 AM by Paul »
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost