Author Topic: Attention all you CPAs!!!!!!  (Read 6649 times)

GASlick

Attention all you CPAs!!!!!!
« on: February 07, 2008, 06:13:20 AM »
In April, my wife and I started our own small business.   I have always done our taxes myself because it was easy, just 1040s and the state return.  Anyway, this business stuff is way over my head and I have talked to a couple of CPAs here in town.  I go to church with one of them and know the other one personally through some Chamber of Commerce functions and other things so I DO NOT think I am being ripped off.  BUT, what is a reasonable fee for a return?

We are not incoporated, just a partnership.  (my wife and myself)  We use QuickBooks.  My wife pays our state sales tax bill and does all the day to day accounting. (she's really smart)  I have gotten estimates from $200 - $700 and I dont have a lot of cash laying around to just hand over to people.

Any input?

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
Re: Attention all you CPAs!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:28:56 AM »
GASlick, I'm a CPA, but I don't do taxes.  If someone gave you a quote of $200 you're probably either really getting a bargain or you're going to get trash as your end product.  I know that H&R Block will charge more than that.  If you find a good CPA, they will also give you some good advice that will help in running your business.  I don't think $700 is unreasonable, at all.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

GASlick

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:40:12 AM »
I don't mind paying - This is just a new process for me and have no idea what a reasonable amount is.  Thanks for the input. 

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 06:49:05 AM »
Just shove it all under the desk...I wouldnt worry about....whats the worst that could happen???  Jail?? 
Boy..you have a purdy mouth...lol

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 06:50:15 AM »
I'm like KC, a CPA that doesn't do taxes (other than my own) and his assessment is dead on.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

GASlick

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 07:16:14 AM »
Timmy I decided a long time ago to behave.  I am way to cute to go to jail!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 11:05:52 AM »
I have a guy that I use that cost me about $350 a year for both state and federal.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Johnny

• Sly Finance Guy
  • Sly
    • NCompass Financial, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 12:10:23 PM »
I used to have a stake in a retail business. Our CPA charged about $1000 for the business and another $400 for personal my personal return. If you can get it done for $700, I'd say that is fair.

Offline whitetoast

• Sly Jr.
  • Big & Bald & SLY
    • What I do?
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 12:14:33 PM »
We specialize in individual tax and accounting/returns for small businesses. The fee is really going to depend on how much time it takes to FIX YOUR QUICBOOKS file to get true figures. Uunfortunately, unless you were trained from a QuickBooks person on how to set up your books properly in QuickBooks, they probably need to be re-worked pretty good to get true figures...we charge some of our small businesses $200 - $700 per month to do their monthly work and this includes weekly payroll. There is an additional flat fee of $400 to do the business tax return at the end of the year.
http://www.nfsnet.com
http://www.whitetoast.us
[img width= height=]http://www.whitetoast.us/images/plate.jpg[/img]

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 07:14:03 PM »
Go to a local college that has its students do a work term, find the college that trains cpa's, get a student for a work term and pay nothing.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »
Go to a local college that has its students do a work term, find the college that trains cpa's, get a student for a work term and pay nothing.

There are no colleges that "train CPAs".  You can earn a degree in accounting and typically that includes two courses on taxation - one course for individual taxation and another for corporate taxation.  Both are just general overviews and do not even begin to cover what needs to be known to do what GASlick needs to have done.   That is type of expertise that comes from on-the-job training and additional coursework beyond what is required for a bachelor's degree in accounting and a CPA license.  Like Rick and Schro, I'm a CPA who doesn't work with taxes.  I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on an assignment like this.  No way would a student be qualified.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »

There are no colleges that "train CPAs".  You can earn a degree in accounting and typically that includes two courses on taxation - one course for individual taxation and another for corporate taxation.  Both are just general overviews and do not even begin to cover what needs to be known to do what GASlick needs to have done.   That is type of expertise that comes from on-the-job training and additional coursework beyond what is required for a bachelor's degree in accounting and a CPA license.  Like Rick and Schro, I'm a CPA who doesn't work with taxes.  I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on an assignment like this.  No way would a student be qualified.

Way to bite my head off, it was just an idea. Note to self: don't ever post on SBG

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 07:55:08 PM »

Way to bite my head off, it was just an idea. Note to self: don't ever post on SBG

I'm not biting your head off; I'm sorry if it came across that way.  I was just trying to explain why it's not a good idea. 

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 07:58:03 PM »
Shdwwlk,  Don't take it personally.  I'm a CPA, and I know that it is very frustrating that people assume that if you're a CPA....Then you must know how to do taxes.  Nothing personal at all, but that is a big misconception.  Doing taxes (or at least doing them right) takes alot of ongoing training and keeping current with the tax laws.  The softwares that are out there can help, but if you don't know what you're doing, they can still get you in trouble.  If your return is a simple 1040 or short form, by all means do it yourself or use the freeware or other software.  But if you have a business or anything short of the basics, you really should get some help from a qualified professional.

Nothing personal here.  Just some words of advice.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 08:03:10 PM »
Great summation of the required schooling, Razor. Also, great advice KC!
You shouldn't take offense, Shdwwlk, Razor was just pointing out the basic undergrad requirements of getting a degree in accounting.
That's just the basics.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Enter your email address: