Author Topic: Here's a reason for those still on the fence ...  (Read 2856 times)

Offline WannaBePadre

• Look at all of this stuff!
  • Super Sly
  • The hairs of your head have been counted (Lk 12:7)
Here's a reason for those still on the fence ...
« on: February 03, 2008, 12:37:36 AM »
Well, brothers, Wednesday is the beginning of Lent ... and when I was doing graduate school a couple of years back, a lot of guys would shave their heads for Lent.

Not that being SLY is a penance, but if you're looking for a reason to go all the way, just thought I'd offer this motivation.

And, even if Lent doesn't mean anything to you, it's a good reason to get off the fence and shave.

Just tell anybody who asks: "I did it for Lent!"

Nothing says 'God loves you' more than a bald man in mirrored sunglasses.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Here's a reason for those still on the fence ...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 11:33:14 AM »
that works padre.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »
Cool idea Padre....just don't get any ideas about sly guys GIVING UP SHAVING for lent. >:D
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline WannaBePadre

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
That *did* cross my mind ... and I grew out some hair over my 5-day retreat ... but I couldn't wait to clean up when I got back to civilization.

I did read this reflection in a book on some hard-core Franciscan friars whom I respect a lot. I've inserted the quote below. While I may be voluntarily bald, I've never given it as much spiritual thought as this guy did.

http://books.google.com/books?id=33K1H3xpaC4C&printsec=frontcover

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

NEW IDENTITY

One day, when I was eighteen, I was a Mass in my parish and heard a reading taken from the Acts of the Apostles. It ended with the sentence: "At Cenchreae [Paul] cut his hair, for he had made a vow" (Acts 18:18).

I was not at all pleased to hear this particular reading. At the time, I had shoulder-length curly hair, to which I was very attached. Too attached. As I left the church that morning, I knew that God wanted me to do something drastic about it. After a few pained days attempting to haggle with the Lord for a lower price, I finally gave in and decided to shave all my locks. I was very surprised to feel a great sense of peace and freedom after I had made this choice.

As a friar, I am not required to shave my head. In fact, our constitutions state only that "the friars are encouraged to have a plain beard". There could be a temptation to shave it off just because most of the other brothers do, but I try to connect it with my experience as a vain eighteen-year-old. Shaving my head is a small but powerful way of denying myself, taking up my cross, and following Jesus Christ as Saint Francis did. Perhaps in that first call to shave my head and leave behind something the world holds dear, God was preparing me for the utter renunciation of my own will that this Franciscan life requires.

More than ever, I now feel the peace and freedom that only Jesus can give.

-- Brother Columba M. Jordan
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 05:12:57 PM by WannaBePadre »

JohnMont

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 06:10:57 PM »

Lot's of wonderful photos in the book.   Is it quite right to say that a lot of these monks rock the sly look.

For me; I could say I'm shaving my head as an act of renunciation (it'd be a good explanation for many people I know) ... but the reality is that I shave my head out of vanity; because I like the look and think it looks good on me

(maybe my current buzz cut is more of an act of renunciation.   it feels like it --  I'm dying to shave again)

Offline WannaBePadre

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 06:28:33 PM »
Before I got hooked up with the HeadBlade Sport, I was starting to consider being SLY as vanity -- I would dry shave with an electric, blade shave in the shower, and then wet shave with the electric. Shaving my head was taking more time than having hair. The HB Sport has made my routine much more routine! Shaving now doesn't seem to be any more of an act of vanity than brushing my teeth.

JohnMont

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 07:03:36 PM »
[ The HB Sport has made my routine much more routine! Shaving now doesn't seem to be any more of an act of vanity than brushing my teeth.
[/quote]

Great attitude, Padre  !

Enter your email address: