Author Topic: Interesting Gas article...  (Read 2238 times)

BaldRob

Interesting Gas article...
« on: January 10, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »
Saw this on Yahoo this morning and thought I would share:

http://biz.yahoo.com/brn/080104/24176.html?.v=1&.pf=insurance

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Interesting Gas article...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 01:48:40 PM »
With an average daily drive to work of 75-80 miles a day that was so good info Rob, thanks.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:06:36 PM »
With an average daily drive to work of 75-80 miles a day that was so good info Rob, thanks.

Paul, you drive even more than I do.  My one way commute to the office is only around 20 miles, but usually I'm also driving out to a client's office.  Like today, that added an additional 30 miles (one way).

Another thing I have found that really helps is using the gas rebate credit cards.  I have 1 from Discover and 1 from Chase Bank.  Discover offers a 5% rebate, but limits you to $100 in gas puchases per month.  Thats about a week and a half's worth for me.  The Chase card offers a 3% rebate and does not have a limit on purchases.  I'd be interested to know if anyone else has found any other cards that offer good rebates.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »
Hadn't thought of using the cards with the rebates Rick, good idea.  I go through about 65-70 bucks a week in gas when I use the truck and cut that in half with the bike, so I would limit out pretty fast.   Knowing that the cheapest gas is still ok for the truck is good news here.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 01:45:05 AM »
Gas(or Petrol as Australians call it) is up around $6 USD a Gallon in Sydney(1.50 per Liter). My daily round trip commute to work is around 20 miles and I used to car-pool with a coworker but he now works different shifts.

There has been strong evidence that the larger Gas companys have been involved in collosion and price fixing to keep the cost per gallon of gas high. Generally smaller retailers have to sell their gas a bit cheaper in order to attract the business.

I will happily buy Joes Gas n Go anyday over the big ones if it is cheaper.

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 02:41:25 AM »
 :'(   Gas (Benzin in German) is in Germany about EURO 1,40 per litre / 2,05 US $!

J