Author Topic: paul's goals  (Read 36629 times)

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
paul's goals
« on: December 07, 2006, 10:21:23 AM »
well to start off. next wednesday i will be attempting to quit the worst habit a person can have. SMOKING. after that is accomplished i plan to use the extra money to join a gym and get healthier. tired of getting winded doin simple things. i will be away from almost everything ( for work) next week. from the 13th thru the 20th. but gonna use that time to try and kick this smoking thing. will let yall know how it goes/went when ever i can.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: paul's goals
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 10:27:01 AM »
Way to go, Paul.  I know what it's like to quit smoking, but I did it.  One thing that stuck in my head BIG TIME was a doctor that said, "Smoking is simply committing suicide on the installment plan."

No offense or judgement against current smokers.  That's just what worked for me.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 10:29:37 AM »
wow that hits a nerve. whatever it takes.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 10:30:07 AM »
Way to go Paul!

It's also good to smoke if you have kids.  They say that kids are more likely to smoke if their parents smoke.  My wife attributed her smoking to her dad smoking.  She has since quit.  I gave her the choice, stop smoking and we'll have babies, or keep smoking and we won't.  She quit cold turkey.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 10:32:39 AM »
damn, the thought of little tylers running around.  :o j/k bro. trying to get the wifey to quit too, but she ain't real into the idea. owell i will work on her.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 10:35:26 AM »
damn, the thought of little tylers running around.  :o j/k bro.

Yeah, it's a scary thought!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 10:38:46 AM »
heck i got two mini me's running around. 13 and almost 6

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 10:42:51 AM »
i am sitting between 220 and 225 right now. doc said 190ish would be good for me. i am 5' 11". so that is what i am shooting for. more important than what the scale says, i wanna feel better. just be healthier so i can chase the kids for awhile.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 12:36:21 PM »
 :D Hail, Paul, well met. Best of luck on quitting. I was surrounded by smokers when I was a kid; it made life miserable for me. Everyone did it in the 50s and 60s, except the uncool. There was no attraction to the habit for me: I've had asthma all my life. There is nothing better than to be able to draw breath; anything that impedes that is anathama. My grandfather and mother-in-law both died of smoking related diseases, emphysema and lung cancer respectively. When, in her fifties, my mother was told she would suffer phloebitis and eventual amputations of her feet and legs, she went cold turkey, threw her unfiltered Chesterfields into the toilet, and thereby extended her life by almost thirty years. So, work on the nicotine addiction first, and then consider the weight. Godspeed, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 12:42:14 PM »
thanx for the support guys. i am really not worried about the weight, the doc said that would be easier to get off than quitting smoking will be. i am sure i will be looking to my sly brothers for moral support.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 05:50:19 AM »
after tomorrow i plan to quit smoking and i am quite pumped up. i will let you guys know.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 07:27:45 AM »
Way to go, Paulmeister.....just remember you can do it....it may be one of the hardest things you've attempted.....but it certainly can be done.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 01:53:34 PM »
Way to go, Paul.  Good thinking about using the money saved from the cancer sticks to a gym membership.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 04:31:34 PM »
Way to go Paul - my dad quit after 50 something years ... His sister and mother died of smoking related cancers ... It can be done.  Good luck bro
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 09:04:52 AM »
update on the smoking thing. it is incredible how fast your sense of smell comes back. only been 40 hrs since last smoke and i already smell more stuff. including how bad cigs stink. will update you guys later.