Author Topic: new guy, 22, balding and needing you support  (Read 7516 times)

Offline satch5150

• Learning the way of Sly
new guy, 22, balding and needing you support
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:55:33 AM »
hello everyone,

I'm Philip, I live in Poland. It's the same story as probably for many people on this board. Genes Genes Genes. Balding at 22. I am using some treatments (but no Propecia poison for me - no thanks, it's not worth it) now but don't know if it is gonna do me any good.

The point is that I wouldn't probably mind shaving my head eventually but I have really big ears...(think Will Smith here - similar shape but a bit 'bigger'). I have this constant fear that when I am gonna shave my head they will stick out even more and will look goofy as hell, or monkey like  :'( girls nowadays tell me that I am a good looking guy but never really took advantage of that as I was shy (not sly  :XX). Now that I was bulding slowly my confidence MPB kicked in and ruined it all for me. Constant checkin' the mirror, not standing in the light so the bald spots won't show too much, fear that no girl that I will be interested in won't even look at me...

just need the support guys,

have a blast at the New Year's Eve tomorrow,

Philip

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: new guy, 22, balding and needing you support
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:06:53 AM »
welcome satch. i think that most of us that have been in your shoes can agree. when you shave it your confidence goes way up. nothing to hide. just embrace it. as for the ears, if they are not grey and floppy like an elephant, then you are being too critical of yourself. shaving may help you see yourself as a whole new man. it did for me and my confidence went way way up. good luck bro.paulie

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline satch5150

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:18:17 AM »
thank you for the support I think I should include a pic. That would be the easiest way for you guys to see what I am talking about. I am gonna dig sth up ;)

these are from 2006...hair loss got really bad this year... those pictures are not really showing the big ears, from the side it doesn't look THAT bad.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 10:37:40 AM by satch5150 »

BaldRob

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 10:42:23 AM »
Satch, first off welcome to Sly Bald Guys and Happy New Year to you!

Reading your post and looking at your pictures, I personally don't think you MPB is noticeable.  However, it can sneak up on you and before you know it, BAM... you've got a horseshoe and a pot belly!

As far as shaving it all off, don't worry about your ears... as Paulie said, unless they are grey and floppy, no one will pay any attention to them anyways.  Shaving in itself is a big step for everyone and you have got to figure out if it is for you or not.

From my own experience and other on here, shaving your head clean is a huge confidence builder...

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 02:19:36 PM »
Philip, I'd have to agree with Rob.  Doesn't look like you have MPB, but it could just be the pics not telling the real story.  As for your ears, they don't look very big to me and I think you'll look good with a shaved head.  Like paulie said, most guys get a huge boost in confidence from shaving their head.   You can do it all at once, or do it in stages like some of the other guys here.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 02:29:02 PM »
Philip, gotta agree with the other guys.... your MPB does not appear that noticable. Then again, you say the pics you attached are older and don't show the 2007 version. From the pics, your ears are no big deal and (like others have said) your confidence goes WAY up once you take the plunge and go sly. It's a liberating feeling ... there's nothing to hide & you are definitely making a bold statement.

Enjoy the New Year, enjoy SBG, and look forward to seeing you post your pic after you take the plunge!

Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 05:18:26 PM »
Phillip, welcome to the forum.  Like the others, I don't see the baldness as really noticable.  But if sly is the way you want to go, from your pictures, it looks like you will rock the look. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline cam_dvs32

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 10:15:32 PM »
Hey Phillip... I only shaved off my hair for the very first time three days ago... and I love it. Like you, I was a bit nervous as to what I'm gonna look like as well... what shape is my head? What about my ears? Hell, I aint no oil painting but after I did it I was stoked. And like the other boys said, your confidence will grow. And if you don't like it your hair will be back in no time. You said your losing it anyway, so why not just go for it? One of my favorite sayings is 'If your afraid don't do it... So if you do it, don't be afraid'. Good luck!!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 11:38:50 PM »
Simply put, not many other things can change a dude's life...

for the good!

Go for the bald head brutha and never look back...time to start your new (bald) life! 8)

Welcome!

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 07:46:43 AM »
I agree.  just go for it bro: shave the noggin and go SLY and you wont look back.  Funny how your confidence just grows when the hair has gone, but its true; there's no hair to hide behind, and people have to accept you for what you are; it is truly liberating, as the other guys here have said. 8)

Offline 440satellite

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 09:04:22 AM »
Satch, you'll get alot of good information from these guys.  They walked me through it too, it took a lot of thought prior to taking the plunge.  Do some research on SBG about shaving, a little soul searching to see if it's really for you or not and then make your decision.  If your uncomfortable with your hair now give sly a try, it'll always grow back but you should give it the 30 day try to decide.  I'd made my decision to stay sly in 5 days.  8)

Your ears won't be an issue and besides that they don't look large. 

Most of your fears about being accepted won't materialize.  I had the similar feelings but nothing has come of them.  So far nothing but positive comments.  A girl I asked prior to shaving said "absolutely not".  The other day she told me I looked incredible sly.   ;D 

Just remember it's totally your decision.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 10:30:29 AM »

A girl I asked prior to shaving said "absolutely not".  The other day she told me I looked incredible sly.   ;D 

You will find that.....most women or just about anyone, when you ask them if you should shave...they will without hesitation..say NO!  I didnt ask anyone but I just have a hunch that the ones I have gotten positive feedback on would have said No if I had asked them.  Its all about being in control of your self.
Tim

BALDANDRE

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 11:35:12 AM »
A girl I asked prior to shaving said "absolutely not".  The other day she told me I looked incredible sly.   ;D 

Very cool bro...that she now dids it! O0

THAT'S why is should always be a decision you make on your own and for you...

plus most people don't "get" it until they see your cool shiny bald head=a true work of art! ;)

bulls_fan

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 09:16:44 PM »
hey bud, from the look of those pictures it doesn't seem like you should be worrying. My advice to you is to just not worry about mpb. The more you worry about it the more obsessed you'll become over it, and believe me it'll drive you absolutly mad. I'm 22 as well and when i started losing my hair, around 20, i'd think of who'd i'd be around, where i'd be, should i bring a hat, should i even go. Thinking about it to much will drive you absolutly insane. Rock what you got and if it still bothers you chop it off. There's a hell of alot more to life than hair. Once you realize that you can be your carefree self.

Offline jmcmana

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 09:33:44 PM »
Bulls fan is right, it's like a snowball, worrying only begets more worrying

Know what made me stop worrying, a Gillette Fusion...

Besides, as long as you have that guitar, women will want you and men will wanna be you

Us young guys have to stick together, we are the Sly future
"Get your shine on"