Author Topic: 17 years old... Am I too young to shave? UPDATE: I did it!  (Read 14244 times)

Offline mosin1891

• Sly Guy in Training
  • 17 and sly!
17 years old... Am I too young to shave? UPDATE: I did it!
« on: December 28, 2007, 02:06:19 AM »
I'm 17 years old and a junior in high school. I've been experimenting with hairstyles ever since 8th grade when I had a mop on my head. The trend in my hairstyles has been progressively shorter and shorter -- and I like it!. When I first decided to cut my hair years ago, I thought that going to a #8 clipper was tremendously short. But short hair has grown on me (excuse the pun) and now I like to keep my hair somewhere in the #2 range. I think I would enjoy having a shaved head but I also think it might be a bit weird at my age level. I've never seen a single person at my school (with the exception of some teachers) with a shaved head. Is it odd for a teenager to shave his head? Should I wait a few years until I'm a bit older? Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 04:59:59 PM by mosin1891 »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: 17 years old... Am I too young to shave?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:25:16 AM »
Mosin, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  I'd say try it once to see how you like it.  There were several guys, mostly athletes, that shaved their head when I was high school, and that was in the mid '90s. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 06:03:29 AM »
Welcome to aboard Mosin.  As a high school teacher I know we have several guys who have shaved heads in school.  It might depend on how large a school you attend.   With 2300 students are odds of some guys being shaved might be a little higher   Parental input might be important for you as well.  If they don't care and you like to stand out above the crowd, go for it.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 07:07:51 AM »
It just depends on the person.  Like Paul said, if your parents are cool with it too, sure go ahead.  I just hate it when people associate bald heads with being old.  You could be the start of a new movement in your school.  I am sure you arent the only student at school who has thought about it.   I am sure at this time you are on break from school, so why not give it  a try now?  This would give you about a week to grow most of it back before you returned to school IF you didnt like it...but given the odds......you will keep it smooth.  Just read up on all the tips and pointers taht are offered in here and have fun.  Just savor that moment of when the blade first touches your noggin...cause it is a feeling you will want to remember for the rest of your life...Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do ok....see ya.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:12:49 AM »
Before you do it, make sure that your school doesn't have a rule against it.  If they don't and your parents don't mind, go for it.  It grows back quickly if you don't like it.

Offline mosin1891

• Sly Guy in Training
  • 17 and sly!
Re: 17 years old... Am I too young to shave? UPDATE: I did it!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 05:00:56 PM »
Thanks for the input gents. My parents were fine with it and the school doesn't seem to have any ruels against it, so I went ahead and did it. First I used some clippers to cut my hair as short as the clippers could go, then I hopped in the shower and got to work with my razor. I nicked myself 3 or 4 times but I'm satisfied with the results.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

:@`

BALDANDRE

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 05:06:47 PM »
Looks good bro...very CLEAN!

Nice that you were able to just shave it all off...you wouldn't have been satisfied till you did the deed!

Keep it smooth and SLY my newly balded brutha! O0

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 05:32:06 PM »
good for you. is that an m-1 garand you are holding.?

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 05:36:30 PM »
Way cool brother.  You took the proverbial 'bull by the horns' and did it.  Let us know how everyone reacts.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 06:44:39 PM »
awesome!  I bet you are asking yourself why you have waited so long ehhhh...LOL...its cool looks good.  Now you have to do the 30 day trial period before you can officially say you do or you dont like it.  Thumbs Up!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 07:34:45 PM »
Looks good and sly, mosin1891
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 08:02:50 PM »
Good job!  I hope the other fence-sitters are taking note.

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 08:05:31 PM »
Way to go Mosin.  It looks great !!!
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

StogieStang

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 10:43:44 PM »
Congrats on your slyness.  How does the smoothness feel?  I bet you can't keep your hands off of it.   O0

Offline mosin1891

• Sly Guy in Training
  • 17 and sly!
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 11:45:28 PM »
Thanks everyone. I'm already in love with it. StogieStang, you're right -- I just can't stop! Running your hand over your bare scalp is a really cool feeling.

Tom_G, yes it is a Garand. And I took that picture at school! I'm in NJROTC and we use Garands as our drill rifles. They're permanently altered to be unfirable. It's kinda depressing. The barrels are plugged with cement and the trigger groups are all welded in place. It's sad :(

I love my new hairstyle. My only complaint is that when I go outside, my head gets C-O-L-D!!! Might be time for me to finally accept hats as more than just a fashion item.  :)

Enter your email address: