Author Topic: Three weeks bald by choice and loving it  (Read 7175 times)

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
Three weeks bald by choice and loving it
« on: December 03, 2006, 03:23:28 AM »
My name is David, and I'm from Katy, Texas(basically a suburb west of Houston).   I'm 23 years old(will be 24 in june) and am bald completely by choice.  I did not have a thinning hairline and my hair would grow back fast if I wanted it to, which I don't.    The great thing about Texas for bald people is it's perfect for our spring/summers and the coldest it gets in the winter around here is mid to low 30's.

Well anyways, here is my story.   I always had thick dirty blonde/brown hair(inherited from my father) and basically was unimaginative in haircuts.  Copied my dad when I was young, and had it short and only spiked in the front from high school until recently.   However, about a month/half ago I got tired of going to get a haircut(cost and effort) so I decided to do a little trimming myself(mother kept pestering me about it).  First time worked great, second time made a mistake that would only correct itself by shaving my head(yes I got the bright idea not to use a mirror), so I went to my haircut place the next morning and had them go a zero guard on my head.   

It was weird, it was a very powerful feeling that came over me as it was done, like it was right.  And its not like the thought never crossed my mind when I had a haircut in the past.  I just never had the guts to go through with it. 

Then I looked in the mirror at home and I realized I looked a lot better that way than with hair.  It also looks way better with the regular eye glasses I sport on a daily basis. In fact when I see the pictures around my families house of me with hair I feel they all look awkward and I will barring some odd change of heart, not go back.   Plus I was a 23 year old who could pass for a sophomore in high school(severe baby face)   Shaving my head made me feel/look a lot older and since I will be trying to land a job as a teacher this spring/summer which I was looked over for last year I didn't want to feel like I could pass for a student.   Then I went to church that night(I am an awana leader for a baptist church in katy) and I got practically all positive reaction.    There were a few who have negative predispositions to bald heads that were like WHY?  But I didn't and don't care.   Of course jokes were made, but so what.   I had been told in the past that I needed a new hairstyle so you can't please them all.   And the funny thing is people think babies are the cutest things ever in the world, and they are bald, so why can't it work when you are older.   Btw, since I also had a baby face, I decided I would grow out at minimum a goatee/moustache combo but with a suggestion from a friend decided to go for a full beard instead.  Right now that also is in the 3 week phase, and will continue for a long while.

Furthermore, it fits my personality.    I am an emotionally driven person.   I have a fiery personality and love sports, as I hope to coach a sport while teaching eventually.   

Now, I can't stop looking in a mirror because of how good I feel about it.   I wish I had the guts to do it 2 or 3 years ago.  I tried straight razors for the first couple weeks but with my thick/coarse hair stubble I went over it too hard and got cuts and some areas were near impossible to get.

Friday I bought the norelco wet dry 7335 cool skin shaver, and it was the wisest decision I could have made.   I can shave while listening to my ipod/watching TV and use my other hand to feel spots I've missed.  Plus it comes with gel which is good for my skin and it does get my skin as close as the mach 3 did.   

The only annoyance is since my hair was fast growing, my stubble grows back fast.   However, If it bothers me I'll just shave.   Well that and getting a tan on the head, but that will come shortly.   

The after...

The before...(well this was april 05, but it was about the same)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 04:20:39 AM by David »

bald for life

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Three weeks bald by choice and loving it
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 02:37:55 PM »
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys David!  Thanks for sharing your story with us and I'm glad you love your new look.

I grew up going to Awana and my mother was also an Awana leader.  It's a great that you are also a leader.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 07:18:47 PM »
 ;D ;D Ahoy, David. Your dynamic, don't-look-back embrace of the sly bald look is is upbeat, nearly inspirational. Just think how smug you'll be when thinning and recession actually start to occur; you will have locked in the bald persona so long since that it won't threaten your self-image or even matter.  I think the whole crew appreciates the charge you got out of the first total head shave. You've made a supercool move very early in life. Best of luck in landing a position in academe; you'll be a great coach and role model for young guys in an era when dissing father-figures has become politically incorrect. Welcome aboard. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 11:54:32 PM »
Hey David,

Congrats on the new look and joining Sly Bald Guys.  By the way, since I know that you are a Baptist and lead an AWANA group, you might be interested in my humble little group on Yahoo!  It is called Christian Chromedomes.  It is kind of a neat place of fellowship for those of us chromedomes who are Christians.  However we really don't bar people from joining the group who might have hair or not be a Christian.  But it is another place to talk about the shaved head look.  Or you can just talk about Christian related stuff etc.  Come check us out at: groups.yahoo.com/group/christianchromedomes .

Marshall

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 12:47:11 AM »
Thanks for the welcome everyone.    I will join the christian chromedomes website and will be around as long as I live.   I'm still going through the learning process of all this, but it is awesome and like I said I have no want/reason to go back.   
bald for life

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 07:20:01 AM »
Lookin pretty SLY David. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 01:53:00 PM »
 ;D ;Dear David . Must comment after seeing the pics you sent, there  is no question--stay bald! David with hair looks too immature to be a teacher. You also look more macho without hair. That's it: grow into the guy you want to be and don't look back. See my earlier remarks on whether balding guys should shave their heads. All best, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline David

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 02:10:12 PM »
It isn't even close to me.   Now you know why I feel like hair makes look awkward/like I could pass for one of my future students.   I'm not going back.   Furthermore, cool looking eye glasses and shades look awesome on bald heads.  I know because I wear them daily.

Btw, if anyone ever wants to even out their awesome bald head and face color, the mystic tan spray on stuff works really fast/great.   I used it twice to get that tan on my bald pic, and I have the touch up spray when I need it.

I am also using a tanning bed through this week to enhance it/make it stick.   Btw right now darque tan has an 8 day free trial(well you pay 15 bucks for the starter kit,but less than 2 bucks a day) and 5 dollar mystic tans.   
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 02:13:11 PM by David »
bald for life

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 04:25:57 PM »
Hi David,

and welcome to the forum! 
I'm glad you had that mishap with the haircut that resulted in your new bald look -
the bald look looks great on you.

Happy Harry
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 12:07:30 PM »
Welcome David!  It good  to see some younger guys becoming bald by choice.  Welcome to the group, again!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995