Author Topic: They don't make Sorel boots like they used to ...  (Read 21884 times)

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
They don't make Sorel boots like they used to ...
« on: December 17, 2007, 07:59:53 PM »
I have a pair of Sorel boots that are 30 years old.  I've not been kind to these boots - walking through brooks while hunting, deep snow and mud, and they've held up very well.  I replaced the liners once, and my only complaint is that they're starting to collapse a little on the sides.

So, I thought that would make a great Xmas present from my wife - a nice new pair of Sorels.  I spent the evening at several large sporting goods stores and tried on 3 different models of new Sorels.  Well, they're all made in China now (as opposed to Canada), and they were falling apart as I tried them on.  Pulled the loop in back gently and it popped open.  Another guy trying on Sorels mentioned that a lace loop broke open.

My 30-year-old Sorels were made in Canada and are 100 times more rugged than these cheezey  boots. Shame on Sorel for putting their name on those boots.

I'm ordering a new liner, some new laces and reviving my old ones.  They'll likely last the rest of my life ...

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: They don't make Sorel boots like they used to ...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 12:05:55 AM »
yeah, I found out the same thing about 3 years ago when I went to buy new Sorels for hunting.  I had to buy a different pack boot by Columbia because the quality just wasn't the same.  My dad has my old Sorels from almost 15 years ago.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PORKY

• Super Sly
    • http://mypage.com/PORKMIEZTER
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 03:48:07 AM »
Well,  after the CANADIANS exported JENIFER GRANHOLM here into MICHIGAN , they must have figured they didnt have to put out any QUALITY products anymore BECAUSE if we accepted HER , we'd accept just about ANYTHING ! After they started producing the Sorrell's in China , I'm SURE the price didnt go down any DID IT ?  HE** no,  just the profit margin for the CEO's went up!  I dont think we (USA) make ANYTHING like we used to, IF we even make it here AT ALL !  The ONLY thing that I've found that we DO DO WELL.... is make excuses !  we make alot of those   >:(
I'm a BIG cigar smokin,bike ridin,truck muddin,bald headed ,long bearded,tattoo'd, no sh*t takin, Southern bred, Tequila drinkin SUMANA BYTCH

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 04:10:40 AM »
Check out a company called Schnees out of Montana.  I purchased my pac boots for hunting there a few years ago and they are showing no signs of wear yet.  Considering they have to go through the rough terrain of the U.P.'s cedar swamps that is saying a lot.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 06:22:36 AM »
Last night, I dug up some additional history on the Sorel downfall.  A guy that used to work for them wrote that when the owners died and their kids took over, they closed the factory, laid off all the employees and sent the whole operation to China.

Thanks for the tip, Paul.  I will check those out.  Also, I read that Baffin boots are pretty good - still made in Canada.
–Albert Einstein

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 07:53:06 AM »
This is a VERY relevant thread, Andrew !

My wife was wanting to buy some Sorels because of all the great stories of friends who've had them for 15 to 20 years.

Based on this conversation, my wife wouldn't be buying the same Sorel....HHHhhhmmmmm.

How long ago did this take place?  We have a pair of kids Sorel's that we got as a hand-me-down from a friend about 5 years ago and they're made in Canada.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:56:39 AM by Robmeister »

Offline fireman

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 11:41:20 AM »
the true great winter boot...The Sorel Canadian model, nothing has come close since. I do use a new pac boot from Red Wings Irish Setter line that is close though.
Only a few perfect heads in the world....the rest have hair!

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 05:04:42 PM »
Gotta pay extra for quality these days. I went out to replace my Stanley steel toed boots [which I wear everywhere, I don't try to be stylish] and they just didn't feel the same so I had to take them back. Gotta find something soon I had to sew them together with snare wire.

Where do you guys go to buy your boots? Any suggestions for brands and quality?

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 05:48:27 PM »
Wow, talk about a coincidence...

About 3 hours ago my Mailman knocked on my door to deliver a package to me that was...

You guessed it, some Sorels. I bought them off ebay for a trip to Whistler in Jan.

I was just too cheap to buy a new pair so I went with ebay and found some  that were made in Canada by Kaufman Shoe Co. I am hoping they are the legit Sorels. They seem decent and I did notice a lot of cheaper looking Sorels when I was looking.

Weird...

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 07:34:02 PM »
Finally bought a pair of boots tonight after ALOT of research and running around.  I bought a pair of Baffin Expedition boots.  MADE IN CANADA.  They seem to be among the few boot makers that have not sent their manufacturing operation to Asia, although I noticed one of their models was "designed in Canada" but made in Vietnam.

I bought them in a local store, but the full line of Baffin boots is available on http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7176890.html.   

–Albert Einstein

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 07:36:44 PM »
Wow, talk about a coincidence...

About 3 hours ago my Mailman knocked on my door to deliver a package to me that was...

You guessed it, some Sorels. I bought them off ebay for a trip to Whistler in Jan.

I was just too cheap to buy a new pair so I went with ebay and found some  that were made in Canada by Kaufman Shoe Co. I am hoping they are the legit Sorels. They seem decent and I did notice a lot of cheaper looking Sorels when I was looking.

Weird...

Marz - you can't go wrong with Sorels that were made in Canada.  Tonight, right before I found the pair of Baffins I liked, I was just going to just buy new liners and laces for my 30 year old Sorels, as they were of better quality (even after 30 years of abuse) than anything I'd looked at new.
–Albert Einstein

Offline BiglerRaw

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 05:29:05 AM »
Hey all... I'm new here, but not to Sorel's... and not that I'm an expert... but I own 18+ pairs.

So the backstory...  They are awesome because of the rubber.  Kaufman was a rubber company first... then shoes, then combining.  They had Sorels and KingTreads... both awesome.

Old man died... kids could not keep it up... they SOLD IT TO COLUMBIA SPORTSWEAR.... and now THEY have killed the "Sorel" name with inferior crap made in China and Viet Nam.

Now present:    You need NEW Sorels... easy.  Go to Ebay and search "Kaufman Sorel 11"  (if you are a size 11, etc.)

The tell is easy... Columbia new version plays up the big bear alone, and "waterproof" alot... the originals will have the Kaufman "K" on the side, and sometimes on the sole.  As well the build tag inside is in french, and says CANADA.

Drop me a note if you need leather treatment tips or how to make them even warmer!!