Author Topic: Hey Guys, Thanks For The Welcome.  (Read 6549 times)

Offline AdamzHedz

• Sly Guy in Training
Hey Guys, Thanks For The Welcome.
« on: November 24, 2007, 07:12:13 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. You definitely seem like a good group of guys. Even if I'm not ready to take it slick yet it's cool to know there are others out there dealing with the same thing. After reading some of the postings I can't help but think about getting rid of what's left but I just don't think I'm at that point yet. Hell, only recently have I been brave enough to lose the hat. Looks like it will be baby steps for me.
If and when I get to the point where I am ready to go "SLY" any good suggestions on how to get the wife ready too?

Thanks again guy,

Adam

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Hey Guys, Thanks For The Welcome.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:23:47 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. You definitely seem like a good group of guys. Even if I'm not ready to take it slick yet it's cool to know there are others out there dealing with the same thing. After reading some of the postings I can't help but think about getting rid of what's left but I just don't think I'm at that point yet. Hell, only recently have I been brave enough to lose the hat. Looks like it will be baby steps for me.
If and when I get to the point where I am ready to go "SLY" any good suggestions on how to get the wife ready too?

Thanks again guy,

Adam

The fact that you're here proves that you're interested in giving "sly" a try, so the first thing you need to do is admit to yourself that it's something that's going to happen sooner or later.   If going shorter in stages makes it easier for you, then that's what you need to do. 

When you're out in public, take note of how many shaved heads you see.  There's a lot of them out there, many of them belonging to guys your age.  What's becoming less and less common is to see a younger bald guy who doesn't shave off what's left.   It's become totally mainstream now, even in the corporate world.

As far as your Mrs. goes -- it depends on how receptive you think she'll be to the idea.   Some women love it, others don't.  If you think she might not be thrilled with the idea, then consider what many others who've gone down this path ahead of you have said -- it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.  And if you're going shorter in stages, you can always blame the final stage on the barber.  Say he cut your hair shorter than you asked for.   >:D

I'm sure that somebody here could Photoshop your avatar pic to give you an idea what you'd look like without the fringe.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 07:28:43 PM by RazorX »

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 07:55:24 PM »
Adam, Razor makes alot of good points.  You probably wouldn't be hanging out here if it hadn't caught your attention.  It's not unusual that you're not ready to jump right in with both feet.  That is probably more the exception than the rule with guys here.  Feel free to take it slow and take it a step at a time.  Several on here were fence sitters for a time.  But one thing is consistent, when they finally took the plunge, they all said "I wish I would have done it sooner".  So just hang around and you'll get a lot of good support and info.  We're glad to have you here. O0
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline AdamzHedz

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 08:32:03 PM »
You're right SLYinKC, the idea of going "SLY" has caught my attention. I probably will take the plunge one day.

RazorX, I like your idea of blaming it on the barber as an explanation to my wife. That might just work. I'll have to figure something out because she definitely hates the idea. You mentioned using Photoshop to get an idea of what I'd looke like without the fringe. Is that something I can do myself? If it doesn't look that bad I might be able to use that to convince her.

As I'm typing this I'm starting to realize that I'm more worried about her reaction than mine. Maybe I'm more ready to go "SLY" than I thought.

Thanks Guys,

Adam

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 09:29:12 PM »
You're right SLYinKC, the idea of going "SLY" has caught my attention. I probably will take the plunge one day.

RazorX, I like your idea of blaming it on the barber as an explanation to my wife. That might just work. I'll have to figure something out because she definitely hates the idea. You mentioned using Photoshop to get an idea of what I'd looke like without the fringe. Is that something I can do myself? If it doesn't look that bad I might be able to use that to convince her.

As I'm typing this I'm starting to realize that I'm more worried about her reaction than mine. Maybe I'm more ready to go "SLY" than I thought.

Thanks Guys,

Adam

There's a site that will do it for a fee, but it looks like the guy is on vacation at the moment:

http://headshave.baldlygo.com/payment.html

I think we have a couple of members here that know how to do it.  I'm sure one of them would be happy to give you a sneak preview.  A lot of people are offline right now because of the holiday weekend, but most of our regulars will probably be checking in over the next couple of days.

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 10:12:45 PM »
Welcome Adam ...   You'll know when the time is right to shave it all off.  But, hang around here often and it'll likely happen pretty quickly.   
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 10:21:54 PM »
Ya know Adam...if she really loves you...she wont leave you over it.  My wife had mixed reactions at first...and I think to this day she still wishes I would grow it back..but I heard her mention to someone not long ago that she couldnt imagine me wiht hair.  It just grows on you.  I dont want to sound mean because you have to respect your wife and I respect mine alot...but its my head.  I told her that and she was like well what ever...people will laugh at you not me.  Well she has found that I get more attention in a social setting...and she is like im surprised that everyone comes to talk to you.  Hey baby....its just the shininess of my head....it brings em in like a ship at sea during the night.  LOL..
WEll you will come to the point Adam when you are ready to take the plunge...but always remember ..It will grow back...so we are all waiting! LOL....post up a pic when you do.  Good Luck

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 03:22:25 AM »
Adam,
My wife still hates the sly look on me, but knows it's the only way I get complete relief from the itching & scratching that comes with sebhorreic dermititis. Personally, I can't understand the reason for it. Although my dome is on the larger side (hat size 7 5/8), my head shape is pretty symetrical with no glaring bumps. The thing that is also going against me is that she's a very stubborn woman and (even if she did grow to like it) would never admit it looks good.

If your avatar is a current pic, I'd say shave it down a notch, wear it at that length for a short time, get used to it, and then take it down another notch. You'll eventually get down to no guard, and the actual shave will be a mere formality.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 09:15:38 PM »
Hey Adam!

Nice that you're considering going fully slick bald one of these days, you'll look great dude..

it'll hit ya one day, then you'll shave the lot clean...and THEN you'll say "I should have done it sooner"..

but do it when YOU feel comfortable with it bro..

You'll look great when you do it! O0

Offline Oto

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 02:52:39 AM »
Adam, you wil not look much different than now. To get accostumed, get #2 or #1 crops, then you'll be one litle step from #0 or even shaved smooth. Keep the goatee, it suits well on you.
As for your wife, at the end she will love it. Women tend to say "no you should not shave your head" but they are the first ones to say it suits you better when you do it.

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 06:46:38 AM »
Adam, I say just go for it - After all, in what rule book does it say that bald men can't change their hairstyle too? I mean, if your missus fancied a change of appearance & wanted a new hair style would you tell she couldn't? I suspect not. I don't really see much difference - it's only hair after all. Not like you want to get yer sense of humour amputated or something!  ;D .... & it does grow back (far too quickly for those of us who like to keep it sly in fact)

Anyway, at your own pace of course, but I am pretty sure that once you do give it a try you'll be wondering what took you so long! Good luck & keep us posted.  O0
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 09:45:44 AM »
Yeah: have to agree with slyshyguy: going slick is just another hairstyle, and it's one of the best hairstyles for a balding guy.  Women and men change their styles all the time: why not just look on it as a change of style and go for it? 8)

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 10:07:26 AM »
Sometimes you have to do what is best for you and the only person that knows what is best for you sometimes is , well... you.

At least shave it down to a #0.

I know that marriage is about compromise but shaving is not permanent and within a few weeks you can be back to having the hair you have now.

Whatever the case, be proud of who you are and you will always look good.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline AdamzHedz

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 11:27:52 PM »
Thanks Marz

Adam

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 06:10:56 AM »
I can totally relate to you, dude. It's babysteps for me too this whole accepting the hairloss thingie. I noticed that I'm balding 1.5 years ago and it has progressed pretty damn fast. Only recently have I started to go out without a hat, and I gotta admit that it feels good. Last summer I buzzed my head to 4mm and everyone I know saw me that way yet didn't make any nasty comments. So I guess I looked ok. I'm still a long way from shaving my head though!