Author Topic: Early vs. Late-Onset MPB  (Read 52477 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Early vs. Late-Onset MPB
« on: November 24, 2007, 10:03:25 AM »
Many of us here have had to deal with MPB and know what a difficult transition it can be, especially if it happens while you are still relatively young.    It just seems like something that shouldn't happen until you are much older.  Lately, though, I've begun looking at this in another way. 

A couple of guys I know who are in their early 40s are starting to show signs of serious thinning that will most likely progress to complete MPB eventually.  It just made me realize that I'd much rather deal with going bald at 30 than at 40 or 50.  It doesn't get any easier to deal with as you get older.  If anything, it gets harder as you have to deal with other unpleasant changes that come with impending middle age, such as weight gain, greying hair and just aging in general.  And you've have even more time to be used to seeing yourself with hair, so to have MPB going at the same time must be really difficult.  Those who went through MPB at 30 and shaved their heads are long past this ordeal.  And if they've taken care of themselves, they shouldn't look that much different at 40 than they did at 30.

So all you young guys out there struggling with MPB -- count your blessings and shave your heads and all will be well.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: Early vs. Late-Onset MPB
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 11:56:22 AM »
Very true.  Although there is the perspective that the onset of MPB in someone's 20's can be more upsetting as young men are much more concerned with outward appearance--at least I was much more vain back then, what with pre-marriage dating and social importance.

Vanity, not in an excessive conceit or narcissism.  But natural young social angst.

I discovered my hair slightly thinning in the back (arear of the crown) in my mid- to late-30's.  By then I was happily married and losing alot of pre-marital vanity.  So it wasn't all that upsetting.

I can see being in yer 30's, 40's, 50's and "out there" in the dating scene for whatever reason how that MPB could be more "problematic."   Nevertheless, by that age we seem to have a better more centered sense of SELF that far outways outward appearance.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:59:39 AM by Robmeister »

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 12:10:03 PM »
It's funny how you made a comparison between those who have MPB at 30 and those who have it at 40. Hear this:
I just turned 25 and have already thinned drastically. MPB starting at 30 is NOT early MPB. MPB starting at 20 IS EARLY MPB. Believe me, it isn't easy to deal with this sh*t at this age... I can't even grow a proper beard yet I am balding severely. Life is great innit? I would give almost anything to keep my hair until I'm 30. I'm almost 100% certain that losing hair couldn't hurt this much if I would be 10-15 years older. It's not about looking older, it's not about getting used to having hair. It's all about what other ppl perceive as normal. Losing hair when you're 30-40 is not a big deal, it's normal. However, only under 5% of males lose their hair in their 20's, it's like being some kinda freak.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 12:17:07 PM by yep_yep »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 12:49:09 PM »
Losing hair when you're 30-40 is not a big deal, it's normal. However, only under 5% of males lose their hair in their 20's, it's like being some kinda freak.

Actually, I was referring to the MPB process being completed by age 30, not starting then. 

I would give almost anything to keep my hair until I'm 30. I'm almost 100% certain that losing hair couldn't hurt this much if I would be 10-15 years older. It's not about looking older, it's not about getting used to having hair. It's all about what other ppl perceive as normal.

You may say that now, but believe me, you still won't be ready for it to happen  10, 15, or 20 years from now.   There's never a good time.  Let me state my point in another way:  most men are going to lose at least some of their hair at some point in their lives.   It's hard to be bald at a young age when your friends all still have their hair.  But eventually many of them will lose theirs.   And when they do, you'll be glad that you've already had a smooth slick dome for years, rather than just starting the process like they are.  I realize that this is small consolation to you now.

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 12:55:06 PM »
Losing hair when you're 30-40 is not a big deal, it's normal. However, only under 5% of males lose their hair in their 20's, it's like being some kinda freak.

Actually, I was referring to the MPB process being completed by age 30, not starting then. 

I would give almost anything to keep my hair until I'm 30. I'm almost 100% certain that losing hair couldn't hurt this much if I would be 10-15 years older. It's not about looking older, it's not about getting used to having hair. It's all about what other ppl perceive as normal.

You may say that now, but believe me, you still won't be ready for it to happen  10, 15, or 20 years from now.   There's never a good time.  Let me state my point in another way:  most men are going to lose at least some of their hair at some point in their lives.   It's hard to be bald at a young age when your friends all still have their hair.  But eventually many of them will lose theirs.   And when they do, you'll be glad that you've already had a smooth slick dome for years, rather than just starting the process like they are.  I realize that this is small consolation to you now.

Yeah and when the hair multiplication is clearly on its way, my friends probably won't have to lose their hair if it happens, say around 5-10 years from now. But then again, if my hairloss still bugs me at that point I can have my hair back too if I only have the cash.

ugabulldog

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 02:25:12 PM »
hey yeppers, you're a good lookin "kid" with a low hairline, get your self a cute girl (if you haven't already) that doesn't care about how much hair is on your head or how much $$ is in your wallet and you'll be alright. (Sorry to hijack thread)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 02:32:38 PM by ugabulldog »

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 02:49:13 PM »
hey yeppers, you're a good lookin "kid" with a low hairline, get your self a cute girl (if you haven't already) that doesn't care about how much hair is on your head or how much $$ is in your wallet and you'll be alright. (Sorry to hijack thread)

Yeah, well... low hairline? My forehead has always been huge man. Anyway, I haven't receeded if that's what you mean, my hair is just thinning all over the top of my head.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 03:24:37 PM »
It's funny how you made a comparison between those who have MPB at 30 and those who have it at 40. Hear this:
I just turned 25 and have already thinned drastically. MPB starting at 30 is NOT early MPB. MPB starting at 20 IS EARLY MPB. Believe me, it isn't easy to deal with this sh*t at this age... I can't even grow a proper beard yet I am balding severely. Life is great innit? I would give almost anything to keep my hair until I'm 30. I'm almost 100% certain that losing hair couldn't hurt this much if I would be 10-15 years older. It's not about looking older, it's not about getting used to having hair. It's all about what other ppl perceive as normal. Losing hair when you're 30-40 is not a big deal, it's normal. However, only under 5% of males lose their hair in their 20's, it's like being some kinda freak.

I rest my case.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 06:09:15 PM »
I think that Early vs. Late is really a case of how the "victim" handles it. If he (or she) has issues with it, it doesn't matter if the person is 20 or 40. If you don't like it and are struggling with it, your age really doesn't matter.

Personally, I would tend to think that earlier MPB is a tougher pill to swallow. Think about it....at that age you think you're invincible, can accomplish anything, and are pissed off when J-Lo doesn't return your phone calls. You think you can down 7 Schrotinis and wake up the next morning and shoot 2 under par on 3 hours sleep.

Hey, getting old sucks monkey balls. Just my two cents.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 06:15:32 PM »

Schro, has quite the way with words, but I think I have to agree.  I didn't have any issues until I was in my mid-late thirties.  It was hard enough to deal with then, but at least by that time there were others my age dealing with worse.  It was a small consolation, but it was some.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »

Schro, has quite the way with words, but I think I have to agree.  .

You have to qualify that Rick?  :Xo! Hey I'm full of useful information that should NEVER be questioned.   :*))
Yeah, and the Earth is shaped like a burrito, global warming is real, and the Democratic congress has a higher approval rating than "W".

NOT!!!!!  O0 O0 O0

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 07:11:09 PM »
I think that Early vs. Late is really a case of how the "victim" handles it. If he (or she) has issues with it, it doesn't matter if the person is 20 or 40. If you don't like it and are struggling with it, your age really doesn't matter.

Most people don't like going bald.  There may be some that aren't bothered by it when it starts to happen, but I can't imagine anyone thinking, "Hey, this is great" upon discovering that their hair is starting to go -- with the exception of those BBC guys who want less shadow and less shaving to deal with.

You're right, though that your age doesn't matter.  When you're 20 you think that if you can hang onto your hair until 40, you won't care if it then starts to go.  But guess what -- 40 rolls around and you find it isn't any easier to deal with now than it would have been 20 years earlier.  The consolation prize for the guy who was bald in his 20s is that he's no longer bothered by it and in fact moved on long ago by the time he's 40 and some of his friends are just starting to deal with the issue themselves.

I'm not any less vain than I was when I was younger but being bald is not a problem at all, like I once thought it would be.

Offline AdamzHedz

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 07:31:41 PM »
Maybe I allow myself to play the victim too much with my baldness but I have to think that the older you get the easier it would be to deal with going bald. I was in my late teens when I started to lose mine. I was probably 22 before it became obvious to others. I was always very self conscious about it and I would always "assess" the company I was in. What I mean is that I would always figure out how many other guys were also losing their hair and what their ages roughly appeared to be. I'm sure many guys in here know theaggrevation of realizing that they are the youngest guy in the room and at the same time you have the least amount oh hair. That's not always easy to swallow.
My point is this, I'm now 30 and even though it's always a good bet that I'll have the least amount of hair in any given room at least now I'm no longer the youngest. Call me crazy but that's easier to handle than standing in a lobby as a 26 year old bald guy looking at a 70 year old man with hair and wondering why me? It just seems easier to accept now that I'm 30 and I suspect it will be even easier at 40.

Just my thoughts,

Adam

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 07:38:28 PM »
Maybe I allow myself to play the victim too much with my baldness but I have to think that the older you get the easier it would be to deal with going bald. I was in my late teens when I started to lose mine. I was probably 22 before it became obvious to others. I was always very self conscious about it and I would always "assess" the company I was in. What I mean is that I would always figure out how many other guys were also losing their hair and what their ages roughly appeared to be. I'm sure many guys in here know theaggrevation of realizing that they are the youngest guy in the room and at the same time you have the least amount oh hair. That's not always easy to swallow.
My point is this, I'm now 30 and even though it's always a good bet that I'll have the least amount of hair in any given room at least now I'm no longer the youngest. Call me crazy but that's easier to handle than standing in a lobby as a 26 year old bald guy looking at a 70 year old man with hair and wondering why me? It just seems easier to accept now that I'm 30 and I suspect it will be even easier at 40.

Just my thoughts,

Adam

I can definitely relate to everything you've said here, Adam.  But do you think it's easier to accept now because you're a little older or is it just that you've had enough time to get used to it and come to terms with it?   If you hang on to all of your hair until you're 40 and then it all starts to go, I think it would still be traumatic.  But it probably is easier to deal with if some of yoru friends are already balding.  Becoming the first bald guy in your circle of friends is no fun; I know that from personal experience.  But when some of the others inevitably start on their way to joining you, it's nice to know that it's all behind you instead of just beginning to happen.  One less thing to worry about. 

Offline AdamzHedz

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 07:59:43 PM »
You do make some goods points there RazorX. A buddy of mine is losing his hair now and in a way I guess I am glad to have that behind me. You did hit the nail on the head though when you talked about it not being fun being the first guy in your circle to go bald. I can definitely vouch for that. I've always been a very competetive person but of all things to be good at why did losing my hair have to be one of them?
Anyway, It would definitely have been easier had I not had to go through that alone.
Regardless, if I could have gone through it with my buddy at the same time I'd definitely have picked 30 rather than 20.

Adam