Author Topic: Bach. in Business  (Read 2620 times)

Offline socctty

• Sly Jr.
  • Finally sly.
Bach. in Business
« on: November 07, 2007, 06:25:54 PM »
What could a guy with a clean history, 6 years of honorable military experience, and a bachelors in business reasonably expect to do for a living?

Do any of you have a BBA (or any other Bach. in Business), and if you do, what do you do for a living?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 06:28:44 PM by socctty »

"You can't hate man if you know him."
- John Steinbeck

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed -- I well know. For it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself."
- Georges Clemenceau

"Nothing is more unsightly than a bald man with hair."
- Martial

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
Re: Bach. in Business
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 06:36:03 PM »
Good question.

I have always had more success looking at what I wanted to do or who I would like to work for (say you are into Snowboarding, try to get a entry level job at Burton or Sims for example), then blindly poking at want ads.

Good employees are hard to find, and in most companies you will move up to where you want to be if you do well. Trying to break in at the top is much more difficult without specific experience pertaining to the position. Starting at a lower position will allow you to learn all aspects of the field / industry you choose and supply you with the information that business schooling generalizes as "widgets".

Sounds like you have an awesome foundation, you just need to find an industry to apply your talents and specialize in. If your heart is in it, you will progress much faster, stress a lot less and have a lot more satisfaction at the end of a hard day.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 07:18:59 PM »
I have a bachelor in business.  One of the reasons I got a degree in business is because it's so versatile.  You can do all kinds of stuff. 

I'd echo what Marz said and do something that you would enjoy doing.  When I graduated I asked my mentors what advice they had for me when it came to getting a job.  They all said several things, but the one thing that was consistent was this - Take the job that will teach you the most and the money will follow.  Once you stop learning at a job, it's time to move on.

I followed this in my last 8 years of being in the "real world" and has really paid off.

To answer your question, I do Project Management and Business Development for a software company.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:24:41 PM »
Mine is Bach of Business Admin. Majored in accounting, minored in management.  I do auditing for a local CPA firm.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 07:20:03 PM »
I have a BBA and do purchasing for a local school system. It is a very versatle degree, like Tyler said.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.