Author Topic: help! razorburn no matter what!  (Read 7061 times)

Offline Asher

• Sly Jr.
help! razorburn no matter what!
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:10:54 PM »
what's up everybody.  i've read a ton of the forum stuff and have to say it's the most informative head-shaving site on the internet.  ton of useful information. 
  here's my problem.  no matter what i do, i get razorburn on my head.  every single time.  it's to the point that it seems stupid to even shave it, since i feel just as self-conscious with a big rashy dome as i do with the uneven growth.  i WANT to be clean up top--i love the look and feel.  let me outline my routine for you all and see if there's a 'well here's what you're doing wrong...' somewhere in there.
  i shower, hot water, massage the scalp and apply some shampoo/conditioner, just to work the hair.  sometimes i shave in the shower under the hot water, sometimes at the sink.  there are advantages and disadvantages to both.  i've used edge gel for sensitive skin (which is really a cream when you apply it to your head), plain hot water, barbasol, baby oil, and slybaldguys' favorite headslick (which just gummed up and dissipated on my head--i actually got a great shave but WORSE razorburn)...baby oil is my favorite, but the edge every so often is great.  i shave exclusively with mach 3 turbo blades and never use a blade more than twice.  i shave against the grain (what's the point otherwise?) and do my best to go slow and steady without putting pressure.  i do not pass over areas twice.  when i've finished the initial passes, i wet my head, clearing away the excess gel/cream/whatever and pass again to touch up the areas i missed first (actually this part of the process is the smoothest and least irritating).  then it's ice cube or head under cold water, but i already am stinging, every single time.  a non-alcohol aftershave (aveda men), then when that soaks in, aloe vera gel over and over to reduce the redness and stinging. 
  i feel like maybe i have very rough/coarse hair and it resists cutting.  i also have to believe i have very sensitive skin, since no matter what i do, it reacts negatively.  but shaving my face is a breeze.  i did try the headblade in the past, and i prefer the mach 3 method.  am i maybe 'dragging' the blade too much?  is it better to 'pull' the blade or 'push' it?  any help would be appreciated, guys.  thanks, and your forum is killer and i'm glad to be a part of it. 

X The Hierophant

Re: help! razorburn no matter what!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:45:25 PM »
First of all welcome the the board.

Wow ... I can say you have definitely tried a lot of fixes so far.

Ok, here are my suggestions.  The blade you use can go a long way.  I use a headblade, but on the headblade I have tried HB triples, HB doubles, Atras, and Sensors (these are the only options for headblade that I am aware of).  Now, with the Atras and HB doubles I razorburn the hell out of my head ... so I don't use them anymore (I spent a week with both trying different variables to eliminate, but nothing works with those razor's effect on my head).  Now HB triples don't razor burn me at all, but I get a much closer shave with the sensors (plus the sensors are cheaper).  Now, I know I have rambled on here, but the point is you have to experiment with different cartridge types.  You may love Atras (like Xnewyorker) where they cut the hell out of me.  every head is different.  I didn't see anywhere in your post where you tried different blades.

Also, if you are prone to razor burn try KoS shaving oil.  I apply many drops, rub in, and then apply the shaving cream (headlsick, or whatever you like) on top.  This isn't a must, but it doesn't hurt, and the KoS oil is cheap.

Also, you may want to give the headblade another go and try the different razors.  It may not be for you (some people don't like headblade) but I think it's worth a go.

I could also advise to shave with the grain, but that defeats the purpose right?  You must shave against the grain as you are doing IMO.  Keep up the quest for that perfect shave.  For me it is a headblade with Sensors, headslick, and KoS Oil (though I have never tried baby oil ... hmm ... I may have to give that a try)..

Also, if you are using Mach 3 blades and using them only twice you are spending a TON of $$ on shaving.  You have much to gain in looking for other blades.  Ditch the mach 3's ... they're great blades for some people, but they aren't working for you.

Good luck.  O0
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 12:52:03 PM by X The Hierophant »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 02:19:47 PM »
asher.....welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya found us.  1st of all....u got a good routine going.  i think that the only thing u need 2 do is probably experiment with different quality razors.  DON'T use cheap razors because cheap razors=terrible shaves.  i am an avid fusion (manual) user.  it gives me the smoooothest shave ever.  i know that it may  b  more expensive than the mach3 but  u can use the razors longer than the mach3 turbos.  oh....also...u might want 2 try splashing the "tn dickenson" witchhazel right after the cold water rinse & ice cube rub as your substitute 4 the aftershave & let it soak & rub some cold aloe vera gel (from the fridge).  anyways.... welcome, again.  and keep us  posted 2 your road 2 slyness. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 02:24:23 PM »
I've found the "ice rub" to be a welcomed addition to my head shave routine. Not only does it help to calm the burn and/or bumps, but it is also a good way to wake yourself up a bit too. :o :o
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 02:34:24 PM »
The King Of Shaves oil works well as X said.

I would suggest the following;

Warm shower and shave your head toward the end

a light wash with soap instead of shampoo at the beginning of your shower

Rub in a few drops of King Of Shaves oil (or Kiehls oil works even better I hear).

Use Headslick or Edge gel allow it to sit on your head for a minute

shave your head with the highest quality razor you have (the headblade does work well with the triple blades)

DONT WASH AWAY THE SHAVING CREAM / GEL

give it a once over and call it good, you can touch it up again after your head recovers a bit.

Once your head starts to get used to it, you will be able to go against the grain daily without breakouts but for now build up your scalp.

As the others have said, use aloe or a water based cream afterward, keeping the moisture in your scalp will help alot.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

X The Hierophant

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 03:39:18 PM »
The King Of Shaves oil works well as X said.

I would suggest the following;

Warm shower and shave your head toward the end

a light wash with soap instead of shampoo at the beginning of your shower

Rub in a few drops of King Of Shaves oil (or Kiehls oil works even better I hear).

Use Headslick or Edge gel allow it to sit on your head for a minute

shave your head with the highest quality razor you have (the headblade does work well with the triple blades)

DONT WASH AWAY THE SHAVING CREAM / GEL

give it a once over and call it good, you can touch it up again after your head recovers a bit.

Once your head starts to get used to it, you will be able to go against the grain daily without breakouts but for now build up your scalp.

As the others have said, use aloe or a water based cream afterward, keeping the moisture in your scalp will help alot.

Also (and you are probably already doing this) be sure to rinse the razor after every swipe or two and get the hair gunk out ... that may make a difference.

Also ... I never put shampoo on my head ... there is no need.  I use soap if (god forbid) I skip shaving one day, but otherwise I just let the water heat up and moisturize the skin and then start the shaving process.  If you want something for pre-shave try headshed.  I have a bottle and don't use it every time, but enjoy using it every so often.  I just don't feel it is absolutely necessary since shaving is an exfoiliant by itself...

Also, the ice rub thing is nice too as BalDoug mentioned...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 03:41:59 PM by X The Hierophant »

X The Hierophant

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 03:40:12 PM »
I've found the "ice rub" to be a welcomed addition to my head shave routine. Not only does it help to calm the burn and/or bumps, but it is also a good way to wake yourself up a bit too. :o :o

Oh yea ... it'll wake you up.  First time I tried that I was amazed at how fast my head could melt that cube of ice.  Great feeling though  O0

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 03:58:41 PM »
First off, welcome asher, not much to add to the other bros excellent advice except that you could try using ClearHead or BaldGuyz moisturizing gel after the shave is complete.  Both have worked well for me in reduced/ eliminating bumps and razor rash.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 04:55:04 PM »
Asher, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!

As X said, try different razor combinations.  3 blades systems tear my head up, even the Mach 3, so I have to stick to the Sensor or Atra blads on my HeadBlade. 

As for shaving cream/oils/gels, stay away from the Edge gel.  Try Bald Guyz shaving gel is very good.  Also, give the KOS oil or Pacific Shaving Oil a chance.  You could use a combination of shaving oil and gel if you're looking for even more protection.  Also, don't use scolding hot water to shave as this could also add to the burning.

Stick with the grain in the beginning.  You won't get the best shave, but your goal now is to eliminate razor burn.  Once you do that, then you can start perfecting the routine.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 05:27:31 PM »
Welcome Asher, this is a great place to hang out. There's not much more to add that the other guys haven't already said just keep experimenting you'll find the right combo.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 05:30:59 PM »
Another suggestion is to try an electric razor - three rotating heads.  This might help condition your head for a blade shave.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Asher

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 09:53:08 PM »
wow i leave for a few hours and come back to all this...thanks all and keep it coming.  i think maybe you guys might be on to something with the different razors idea...funny i never considered that angle.  i guess i always just had the mindset 'well, they're the best blades!'  i think i'll pick up some atras or sensors and see what happens; problem is i just bought a ton of mach 3 razors at a bulk price--dang.  does anyone know of a literal gel, like not one that turns to cream?  i think that might be the best option for me.  also, do you all find it better to do short, choppy multiple strokes or long, sweeping ones?  i've been shaving long forever and think i might try it the other way.  i do the ice cube thing, and the aloe vera thing, but the problem isn't after, it's during.  i did however try some vaseline intensive care lotion on my head today and holy crap did it sting but it really went to work on my scalp. 
  as for whoever said the blades cost a ton, yeah, they do.  but it's the price we bald guys pay to look this dang good. 

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 10:01:05 PM »
Asher I just tried the King of Shaves shaving gel and I love it. Its real smooth and it doesn't clog my Headblade trips.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 11:37:46 PM »
I would go with long strokes if you can.  Usually this is difficult with traditional razors, but it's pretty easy with the HeadBlade.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 11:47:37 PM »
Asher, Welcome to SBG's forum.

I had almost the identical problem that you are having. Very bad razor burn. And guess what? I was using the Mach 3 shaving blades as well. I switched to the Fusion and the Headblade using the Sensor cartridges.

You sound like you have a good routine as far as softening the hair in the shower with the hot water.

Warhawk mentioned the TN Dickinson Witch Hazel. I strongly recommend this. This is an astringent that prevents razor rash and keeps your skin clean and tight. I started using this around the same time I ditched the Mach 3 and it worked wonderfully and helped clear up the razor rash.

1.Try putting a layer of shaving oil under the Headslick. (Bald Guyz Ultiimate Shave Gel is also an awesome product)

I am BBC and I have very thick coarse hair thanks to my Arab ancestry.

Headslick and BG Ultimate Shave Gel ,no other products can ever compare to the great shave you get from them.

Good Luck and post up often.