Author Topic: Double Edge Safty Razors - Anyone tried them?  (Read 36230 times)

Offline waliguy

• Sly Jr.
Re: Double Edge Safty Razors - Anyone tried them?
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »
I gotta get into these magical creams and soaps you guys are using. I just use williams and it works good but sounds like there are some better ones out there I should try.

Marz, yes you do.  Take your shaving to the next level:  Sly2

Williams is a fine shaving soap.  But if you're already using a brush, get yourself a scuttle (a big coffee cup, or latte cup is fine), and try a shaving cream.

If you like menthol, head over to a local Bath and Body Works store (they are in most malls) and look for CO Bigelow shaving cream.  It's in a green box.  Located in the men's area of the store.  Around $10.  It's Prorasso (from Italy) repackaged for CO Bigelow.  Shave with that, throw on some Aqua Velva, and you'll be smooth, cool, and Sly2.

Offline sparkster123

• Sly Jr.
  • IM BALD
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2008, 08:06:29 PM »
DE shaving is really a learned type of shaving. it reminds me of when i started using the head blade how it just didn't work until you got the hang of it thrue trial and error. after you got the hang of it nothing else worked nearly as good or gets as close as the head blade. and it really is easy. now i am finding it is the same thing for me with DE shaveing. i think once i get it mastered totally it is going to be great.also useing high quality products is the key to the ultimate shave and over the long term it seems a very economical way to shave.

Offline sparkster123

• Sly Jr.
  • IM BALD
Re: Double Edge Safety Razors - Anyone tried them?
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2008, 10:29:53 PM »
well i received my badger brush and shaving creams from that article i posted. i have to say there is a whole lot of difference using quality products compared to the rather inexpensive boars brush and mug shaving cream i bought at walmart. the badger brush was softer and lathered up twice as much as the cheap boars brush. the shaving cream also left a good thick shaving cream and really helped moisten my skin.

it also smelled good and left my face feeling soft and smooth not to mention it seemed to make the DE shaving get closer i feel by more lather and also held more water. I'm really enjoying this double edge shaving not to mention it is a whole lot cheaper to shave once you have made your initial investment of quality product. which really isn't that bad and will repay itself in a year

50.00 for DE adjustable shaver
40.00 for a quality badger brush
12.00 for Taylor of bond shave cream
 1.50 for 10 personna double edge blades at walmart
---------------------------------
103.5 initial investment

maybe add 20 bucks for shipping and handling. O0

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
Re: Double Edge Safety Razors - Anyone tried them?
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »
well i received my badger brush and shaving creams from that article i posted. i have to say there is a whole lot of difference using quality products compared to the rather inexpensive boars brush and mug shaving cream i bought at walmart. the badger brush was softer and lathered up twice as much as the cheap boars brush. the shaving cream also left a good thick shaving cream and really helped moisten my skin.

it also smelled good and left my face feeling soft and smooth not to mention it seemed to make the DE shaving get closer i feel by more lather and also held more water. I'm really enjoying this double edge shaving not to mention it is a whole lot cheaper to shave once you have made your initial investment of quality product. which really isn't that bad and will repay itself in a year

50.00 for DE adjustable shaver
40.00 for a quality badger brush
12.00 for Taylor of bond shave cream
 1.50 for 10 personna double edge blades at walmart
---------------------------------
103.5 initial investment

maybe add 20 bucks for shipping and handling. O0

Now you just need to get a quantity of good blades (Derby & Israeli) off e-bay.
About $17 for a 100 blades.
BTW. What razor did you get? Merkur Progress?
Bob.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 10:27:23 AM by cooncatbob »

Offline sparkster123

• Sly Jr.
  • IM BALD
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2008, 10:47:10 AM »
that is exactly the DE i bought. the merkur progress. its the one on a video i saw and the guy said it was his favorite. i wouldn't know if its the best as its the only one i have. works great though.ill check into those blades.
man this DE shaving is cheap compared to cartridge razors.

well cooncatbob i bought both types- derby and israeli blades for the prices you said. with these blades and the ones i have already purchased i figure i wont have to buy anymore for 3 yrs unless i think i have to try another brand.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:50:23 PM by sparkster123 »

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2008, 12:20:53 PM »
that is exactly the DE i bought. the merkur progress. its the one on a video i saw and the guy said it was his favorite. i wouldn't know if its the best as its the only one i have. works great though.ill check into those blades.
man this DE shaving is cheap compared to cartridge razors.

I thought so from the price as the Futur and Vision are much more.
There's a guy "Mer/Eric" over at
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/index.php
He modifies the Progress by cutting off the plastic knob and replacing it with one he makes in his home machine shop. They are very nice.
I replaced the knob on mine with a wooden knob, it was a pain as it reall easy to break the knob when it so small. My progress is one of my favorite razors.
Bob.

Offline sparkster123

• Sly Jr.
  • IM BALD
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2008, 12:56:36 PM »
wow that is cool. so would you suggest that i change mine. i like the looks of yours a lot better.  do you think it will last as long as the original knob. i am going to check out the web site. i also post up i purchased the blades both types and am looking forward to trying them.

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »
wow that is cool. so would you suggest that i change mine. i like the looks of yours a lot better.  do you think it will last as long as the original knob. i am going to check out the web site. i also post up i purchased the blades both types and am looking forward to trying them.

There's nothing wrong with the plastic knob, it molded right onto the metal so it's never going to break or fall off. Mer has folks send him their razor and he does the mod, he does a couple different style out of Stainless steel or brass. You can do a search over at B&B or here
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/index.php
search razor "mergress" and you pull up some post with pictures of his work.
The only thing I don't like about the Progress is the fluted barrel, I wish it was knurled instead. If you like your Progress you would also like a Gillette Fatboy adjustable, same size and weight as the Progress. But you might end up like me with a bad case of "RAD" (razor acquisition disorder).  ;D

Offline sparkster123

• Sly Jr.
  • IM BALD
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2008, 06:35:51 PM »
man you really do take de shaving to the next level. i checked out mers work and it is cool stuff what he does with this adjustable de razor. i wish i knew about him and just purchased 1 from him as it seems he sells them already modified.

if you dont mind me asking where do you purchase a fatboy gillete. ebay didnt have any and i couldnt find any shave shops that did either.

thanks randy

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »
man you really do take de shaving to the next level. i checked out mers work and it is cool stuff what he does with this adjustable de razor. i wish i knew about him and just purchased 1 from him as it seems he sells them already modified.

if you dont mind me asking where do you purchase a fatboy gillete. ebay didnt have any and i couldnt find any shave shops that did either.

thanks randy

Gillette quit making Fat Boys "Adjustable razor model Mark I" In 1961 when they came out with the Mark II slim handle. Also a great razor. Thrift store and e-bay are where they can be found. Did you search "safety razors" on e-bay because I just did and saw several fatboys and slims. Try not to pay over $20 and don't go over $30. Put a watch on the razors your interested in and put in a "SNIPE" bid with 20 seconds to go.  ;D. You'll miss out on a lot of razors but it's better to be patient then to over pay. Bob.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gillette-1959-Fat-Boy-Adjustable_W0QQitemZ150205757380QQihZ005QQcategoryZ35989QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline sparkster123

• Sly Jr.
  • IM BALD
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2008, 11:26:19 PM »
thanks. i have 3 fatboys on my watch list and will take your advice. i was putting the wrong types of words in the search. is there any other types of blades that you like to use?when i get a fatboy i will send my other DE razor and have it modified.leaning towards the longer the longer stainless adjustment but will check it out more.

Offline waliguy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2008, 11:36:36 PM »
I use an '63 Gillette adjustable for my daily face shave and love it.  Picked it up on Ebay.

Over this weekend I picked up a couple of DEs on Ebay:

a 1976 Gillette Super Speed and a 1968 Gillette Knack.  Both DEs...both users.  I got 'em both from the same seller, for a total of $11.  I was happy!  Now I have  a few others to get into the rotation.

Be patient on the Fat Boy...they are out there.  Randy, you're gonna love the DE shaving.  The products (creams and soaps) are great.

Offline sparkster123

• Sly Jr.
  • IM BALD
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2008, 12:14:16 AM »
I use an '63 Gillette adjustable for my daily face shave and love it.  Picked it up on Ebay.

Over this weekend I picked up a couple of DEs on Ebay:

a 1976 Gillette Super Speed and a 1968 Gillette Knack.  Both DEs...both users.  I got 'em both from the same seller, for a total of $11.  I was happy!  Now I have  a few others to get into the rotation.

Be patient on the Fat Boy...they are out there.  Randy, you're gonna love the DE shaving.  The products (creams and soaps) are great.

i am seeing what you mean. i just hated shaving in the past and ever since this DE shaveing it has turned into a enjoyment. the shaving creams and the closeness and how the face feels so much smoother has been great and now am totally addicted.i get my fatboy and then ill be set. OK OK until i think i need another. i think I'm going to have to redo do my bath again and make it bigger this time. O0

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2008, 11:06:50 AM »
Other Gillette razors that are in my rotation.
Early 50s Aristocrat.
40's Milord
Super Speed, any era.
Techs.
As for blades I have a large hoard of "Feathers" they can be had at Classic Shaving and on e-bay.
One thing about DE razors, some razor shave better with certain blades.
I like feathers in adjustable razor but find the harsh in my Aristocrat and Milord which prefer Derby and Israeli blades. Your experience may be different but I make a mental not of which razors like which blades so that when I switch razors I use a blade that works well for me in that razor.
I've also found that razors that I didn't like when I first started DE shaving I now really love, like my Aristocrat. I think as one's technique improved they are better getting a feel for maintaining the proper razor angle. ;)
Bob.