Author Topic: Double Edge Safty Razors - Anyone tried them?  (Read 36159 times)

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
Re: Double Edge Safty Razors - Anyone tried them?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »
quote author=X The Hierophant link=topic=3201.msg64256#msg64256 date=1197239645]
Well, I have tried my DE Safty razor several times now and suprisingly I hate it.  It gets a very close shave but takes forever and I cut my self VERY often. And as for the dome, why even consider this in this day and age, when we have a perfect tool for the job?

Kinda like an Automatic transmission in a car. Let it decide when to up shift and down shift. But they still make Manual Transmissions for those of use that prefer the decission of when to shift to be ours.
Likewise some of use prefer to be in control of the blade angle of our razors.
Now as far as the Headblade being the perfect headshaving tool. Most men (almost all) still require a 2nd razor to shave around their ears and to shave their face. Not a very elegant solution needing 2 razors and their different cartridges. BTW. I own several Headblades including the the deluxe stainless jobber and if a person isn't careful the Headblade is perfectly capable of carving a patch of flesh out of ones head. Don't ask how I know that.
DE shaving especially headshaving isn't for everyone, it requires skill and the dedication to learn stick with it and learn that skill.
Bob.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 02:56:13 PM by cooncatbob »

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 11:55:21 AM »
DE shaving especially headshaving isn't for everyone, it requires skill and the dedication to learn stick with it and learn that skill.

Bob, I hope my post didn't come off as negative to you. I was trying to state that shaving with a DE is an art (a lost one, unfortunately), and time and patience is exactly what you need to perfect it. Time constraints these days do not lend a hand to developing your skills with the blade. I do believe once you do get it down, it is probably the best way to shave.
I always thought when Gillette kept adding blades to the cartridges after the Mach III, what will come next?, one day would we end up with six blades?, and then sure enough here comes the Fusion. It's just overkill.
I use two razors, but I now have gotten so good with the HeadBlade that I can get in closer around the ears, and my touch up is mimimal. I've used the Atra or Sensor double and the Mach III for shaving my face for many years. The less blades, the better, in my opinion. I have never cared to try the Quattro or the Fusion, and I have an unopened one sitting in my bathroom cabinet.

Any skill takes time to develop, and that's why when I recommend the HeadBlade to newbies, I tell them to be patient, go slow and stick with it. I would love to be able to have the time to get into the DE shaver, but for me it's only going to add way too much time to a routine I am now finally paring down.
I think it's great that you can do it, and more power to you. That's quite an awesome collection you have, by the way     O0

Joe

Offline Deadbob

• Dust Collector
  • Sly
  • Bald - Again
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 12:58:11 PM »
xnewyawka

I felt the same way about DE shaving. What I have found works best is shaving with a DE before bed. yeah, i stand in front of the mirror for 20 minutes, but i find the DE shave to be relaxing. it wines me down from the stress of the day, and my G/F loves the smell the shave cream leaves behind.

I also have found that a DE gives me a MUCH closer shave. I honestly can go about 2 days without shaving, but that is pushing it

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 01:42:59 PM »
No offense taken.
Shaving with a DE isn't that more time consuming.
On a head shaving forum that I frequent most of the guys said that they were going to pass on the Fusion and that 5 blades were ridicules. When the fusion did come out they all bought it and claim it's the greatest thing since sliced bread (can you say the best a man can get) I have one and find that it shaves the same as a Mach 3 except with it's bulkier head it's harder to get the tight spots.
I'm convinced that Gillette is more concerned about $$$ then making better razors and I guarntee that in 4 or 5 years they will come out with a new shaving system and the blades will be more expensive then the present ones.
BTW. I pay between $.16 and $.25 per blade.
Bob.

Offline PORKY

• Super Sly
    • http://mypage.com/PORKMIEZTER
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 01:28:25 AM »
OK GUYZ, way earlier in this thread ONE of the MAIN pluses about the D/E razors was the savings, correct?  WELL after you buy this handle and that handle and then this type brush and that type bristle brush and then this brush and this type mug soap and the other type mug soap and you try blade a, then blade b, then blade c which you like but it wont fit in handle c so you have to buy a DIFFERENT handle , HOW can you HONESTLY say , youve SAVED ANY $$$ ?  And then MOST of the guyz STILL dont try to do the DOME with the d/e razor, ya have a DIFFERENT one for that .  I WANNA HEAR from ANYBODY , that has the testicular fortitude to STILL/AGAIN be shaving face and OR dome with the CHEAPEST razor , the ol' straped straight blade , COME ON GUYZ,  IMPRESS ME !!!
I'm a BIG cigar smokin,bike ridin,truck muddin,bald headed ,long bearded,tattoo'd, no sh*t takin, Southern bred, Tequila drinkin SUMANA BYTCH

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 09:31:52 AM »
I would try the straight razor although they are very expensive.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 09:46:53 AM »
You're a brave man, Gunga Marz.  Would you do it even if you had a bad hangover?

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 10:10:45 AM »
You're a brave man, Gunga Marz.  Would you do it even if you had a bad hangover?

If I have a bad hangover, there is little chance I will be shaving but I would probobly leave the straight razor in the boot and go for the DE.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 10:36:32 AM »
I would try the straight razor although they are very expensive.

As will be your hospital bills, bro, lol.   ;D ;)

Offline Deadbob

• Dust Collector
  • Sly
  • Bald - Again
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 12:04:17 PM »
DE shaving is not that expensive...

- Most vintage handles can be had for $10 - $15, just like most modern multi-blade handles.

- Blades are generally a buck or 2 for a pack of 10. that beats $10 for a pack of 8 that you would pay for mach 3 carts. As for a beginner finding the correct blade for their face... there is a 125 blade sampler pack where you get blades a total of from 18 manufactures for $25.

- the holes in a DE blades are standardized , so if a blade does not fit a handle, the handle is broke.

- A badger hair brush is personal preference. good ones can be had for around $30, and that brush will last for YEARS!

- most commonly used shaving soaps & creams can be had for $3 - $10, and last 3 - 6 months!

- you just need a bowl or mug, nothing special. I use an old cereal bowl that has a chip in the lip.

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 05:23:09 PM »
I use a $3 rice bowl I got at Target. I get my blades off E-Bay for under $20 for 100.
A good brush is a luxury item, decent brushes start at about $30 and you can spend well over $100. A good brush can last over 10 years. Creams and soaps, you can buy Williams at any drug store for about $1 and it will last you several months or you can buy luxury English shaving creams for over $20 for a 5.8 once tub.
BTW. Fancy brushes creams and soaps work just as well with multi blade cartridge razors.
Treat yourself for Christmas, you deserve it. Make shaving an enjoyable experience instead of a chore by treating yourself to some luxury shaving products.
Bob.
http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 05:37:34 PM by cooncatbob »

Offline waliguy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 09:20:17 PM »
I just want to jump in here...

I've been a Mach III guy for years...face and head.

I'd become dissatisfied with the closeness of my shave on my face.  The head was never a problem.  I wanted to kick it up a notch, and started reading, researching, etc.

Ended up that I decided that shaving was a very enjoyable experience for me, and that, by taking a little more time, I could use a DE on my face, and one pass with the DE on the head, and finish up ATG with my Mach III.

I picked up a nice 1963 Gillette adjustable on ebay.  A pack of blades, and a couple of C&E shaving soaps, plus a nice $28 Badger brush from C&E.

Now, my daily shave is closer on the face, and more enjoyable overall.  I get nicked a little more, but I'm still new at DE shaving.  I can say is this.  Most of you enjoy shaving.  Treat yourself to some nice shaving soap and a brush.  It's wonderful.  It beats the hell out of the stuff out of the can. 

And don't discount a DE shave.  If, like cooncatbob said, you really enjoy shaving, treat yourself to a great shaving experience with some good shaving supplies.

Offline Uncle Fester

• Fester says...
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2007, 11:44:55 AM »
I wrote a brief review of DE razors in the "Products Review" section of the site.
When I'm dead and gone, no one will give a rat's ass about what kind of car I drove or what kind of house I lived in.  All that will matter is that I positively impacted the life of a child.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2007, 03:39:51 PM »
My dad mde an interesting remark about razors once.  He said he couldnt imagine why anyone would use a straight razor at home after the DE came out. He thought the DE was one of the greatest inventions mankind ever caame up with.  The safety razor saved a lot of throats.  For me, its hard to improve on the schick extreme.

Offline brooklynlou

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 08:57:05 PM »
New user.

I've been shaving my head with DE safety razors for years. No nicks and fairly quick shaves.

Heres some tips.

- Use duller blades. The razors on a DE are very sharp and are designed to shave a very coarse beard hair. Your head hair is not that coarse and doesn't require as sharp a blade to get the job done. In fact a sharp blade on your head will probably slice you pretty good. Once a DE blade gets too dull for my face it goes into another DE razor I have just for my head.

- If you don't or can't recycle your blades, you can cork a DE blade. Corking means you purposely dull the blade by grabbing it with a set of pliers and making one pass through a piece of cork on each side of the blade.

- Unlike cartridge razors, DE razors require very little pressure to get the job done. If you mash a DE razor into your head, you will bleed. Just grab it by the back end and move it across your head from front to back. Let the weight of the razor do the work.

- Avoid using canned gels/foams. All of them have a mild anesthetic effect. Though its nice of Colgate and company to add things to deaden the potential pains of shaving, when shaving with a DE you need to feel whats happening. By using a brush and soap on your head, you will know if you go overboard on the pressure and press too hard, you'll feel it.

Benefits of using a DE razor.

- They never clog and clean up is easy
- The blades are dirt cheap
- The razors themselves are fairly cheap
- You get a smoother shave and since you're not mashing the hair into your scalp, you avoid in-growns.

How to hold a DE

My setup
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 08:59:05 PM by brooklynlou »