Author Topic: Any suggestions fellas...  (Read 7099 times)

Offline tuftsuniv1

• Learning the way of Sly
Any suggestions fellas...
« on: October 10, 2007, 12:39:57 AM »
I posted a month or so ago when I was considering going sly, but I was worried about the shape of my head and a scar on the back of my head. Well, I finally discovered my balls and went sly...

I'm glad I did it but I'm still really self-conscious about the lack of symmetry and the scar. And maybe you guys can help me out, but I've only shaved once so far but I wasn't able to get a totally sly look. I had the five o'clock shadow going on right after I shaved. And there is a bald spot on the right side of the back of my head where the scar is and it really shows when I have the shadow going (not to mention the bald spot is not directly on the crown, as is common with MPB, so it just looks out of place)...Any suggestions would be much appreciated fellas...The cumulative knowledge on this board is awesome...Thanks a lot!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Any suggestions fellas...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 01:36:12 AM »
Welcome back!  I'd say give the totally sly, totally shaved look a go for 30 days straight.  I'm sure you'll find that this is the best way.

If you're already using a razor, but just having trouble with the shadow, try going against the grain.  Check out the topic on shave routines (http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=923.0) as it will provide you some good tips on how to get the closest shave.  Remember that it usually take a bit of experimenting to find the best routine for you.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Balditicus Maximus

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 03:56:05 AM »
Yeah Tufts U, I'm sure you looker cooler sly....we all do!   ^-^

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 05:41:51 AM »
Tuft we are own worst enemy when it comes to our image. I think you'll find that no one will even notice your perceived uneven symetry or scar.

As time goes on,as Reid said, you wont want it any other way.Sly is the only way to go mate! O0

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 06:05:24 AM »
Welcome, TuftsU, Like most of us have eventually found out, our imperfections are more noticeable to ourselves than to others.  Sounds like SLY will be great for you.  Just have to give it chance and let yourself get used to it.

Good luck and see ya around the forum. O0
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 09:31:32 AM »
Hey tuftsu, good to hear you finally did it!,  as I remember saying to others who were unsure, after a while you will not even think about symmetry or a scar because you will feel like this is how you were meant to look (as Reid and JDog have said).

Give it the 30 day period as Tyler suggested, that is the normal trial time we all recommend.
This is also a good time to experiment to see which shaving combo works best for you.
Good luck and let us know how it goes    O0

Joe

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 10:40:05 AM »
tuftsuniv1.....1st of all welcome back.  glad that ya did the deed but as far as imperfections 2 your head....WE ALL HAVE SOME TYPE OF IMPERFECTIONS....so just get over it. (period, exclamation point, that's it!!!!).  as far as the shadow....u will never get rid of that shadow unless u naturally lose all the hairs on your dome or u tweeze all your hair.  however....listen 2 all the gr8 advice that u r getting from the sly brahs. 

as everyone has said....give it the 30 day trial.  this is the unwritten rule in the sly forum.  after 30 days..... u will already know your decision.  usually....the decision is 2 keep it sly 4 life.  anyways.... post up a pic & so that we can give u some further comments/feedback of your so-called non-perfect head.  however... i agree with baldticus maximus that u probably look "way cooler" sly.  anyways....keep us posted 2 your road 2 slyness. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 11:57:27 AM »
Tufts, I'm glad you worked up the courage to do it.  And yes, as the others have said, we all are our own worst critics.  My head isn't anywhere near perfectly round, and no, my MPB isn't symmetrical.  I like to joke that I can't even go bald the right way.  But give it a go for 30 days; learn all you can from the posts here about products and shaving methods; and then make your decision.  I'd be surprised if you don't end up a 'lifer' like most of us here.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

BALDANDRE

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 12:12:36 PM »
The best advice was already given...30 days bro, totally smooth, without getting stubbly in that time frame...

then you can make a better, more thought out course of action!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 07:39:12 PM »
... not to mention the bald spot is not directly on the crown, as is common with MPB, so it just looks out of place...

All the more reason to keep it shaved.  If your bald spot is off-center, it will be much less noticeable with all the surrounding hair shaved off.  The shadow won't be quite as pronounced once you get some sun on your scalp.  And as I said in an earlier post this evening, most people truly will not notice.

The hardest part is getting up the courage to shave the first time. You've already made it past that hurdle.  Having done so, you owe it to yourself to live as a sly guy for a while before making a final decision one way or another.  As everyone else has said, give it at least 30 days and then re-evaulate.  I'm betting when the 30 days are over, you won't want to go back to having thinning, receding hair.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »
Welcome tufts! None of us have a perfect head everybody is a little off(some more than others) and as far as the scar, hell I have a few of them remnants of a rough past, but its all cool, chicks dig scars. Keep it goin bro'

Offline tuftsuniv1

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 10:06:35 PM »
Good advice all around fellas...I appreciate it. I just gotta get over the obsession with looking in the mirror all day or wondering if everyone I walk past is staring at my dome. I swear I've spent hours in the last couple days just analyzing every square inch of my head from every possible angle agonizing over every imperfection. I'm having a tough time simply focusing on something besides my dome. And I know most people could care less what my head looks like and don't even notice it. But until I don't it seems like it will be a rough transition. And I'm a little nervous about revealing the new look to the family when I head home in a couple of weeks. I know I'm gonna catch sh*t about it...

Also, how much of a difference will getting some sun make in covering up the shadow effect?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 10:54:08 PM »
I'm having a tough time simply focusing on something besides my dome. And I know most people could care less what my head looks like and don't even notice it. But until I don't it seems like it will be a rough transition. And I'm a little nervous about revealing the new look to the family when I head home in a couple of weeks. I know I'm gonna catch sh*t about it...

It's all part of the process.  We've all gone through it.  All I can say is stay focused and committed.  In the end it's well worth it.

Also, how much of a difference will getting some sun make in covering up the shadow effect?

It depends on your coloring.  The fairer your skin is, the more shadow you're going to have.  But if you can at least get the color on your dome to be even with your face, it will take that bluish-grey tint away. 

Offline tuftsuniv1

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 11:56:17 PM »
Here's a couple pics....You guys see what I mean about the asymmetries... Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:41:50 PM by tuftsuniv1 »

Offline Glenr

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 02:56:41 AM »
my thoughts are that it looks fine.