Author Topic: Any Vegans?  (Read 7810 times)

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
Re: Any Vegans?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 08:32:30 PM »
Wait, I thought a Vegan was someone from Vegas.  :D
Or someone who drove a Chevy Vega  ;D
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 10:02:29 PM »
lacto ovo vegetarian here

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
I enjoy red meat too much to give it up.  I personally don't think we were meant to live strictly on vegetables.  If we were, all our teeth would be shaped like a cow.  A healthy diet needs all types of foods in moderation.

This is just my opinion, if vegan works for folks, great.  It's just not for me.

I'm with ya Wolf, coming from a ranching and farming family we take advantage of all that we can.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

X The Hierophant

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 08:37:03 AM »
I would love to become Vegan, or if not that a Vegitarian, but I have two problems:  (1) I hate raw vegitables ... cooked ones I can do, but I know raw veggies have the best nutritional values right?  (2) I crave meats and sweets a great deal.  I went lacto/ovo vegitarian twice and lasted 2-3 months on each try and eventually relapsed.  Since I have high cholesterol and a horrible family history (colon cancer, stokes, heart disease, etc) I know I should...  :'(

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 08:45:25 AM »
I would love to become Vegan, or if not that a Vegitarian, but I have two problems:  (1) I hate raw vegitables ... cooked ones I can do, but I know raw veggies have the best nutritional values right?  (2) I crave meats and sweets a great deal.  I went lacto/ovo vegitarian twice and lasted 2-3 months on each try and eventually relapsed.  Since I have high cholesterol and a horrible family history (colon cancer, stokes, heart disease, etc) I know I should...  :'(

I turned when I was 10, so it was easier. But dude just take some cooking classes, I've never actually used any of the recipes we made there but you learn quite a bit. I have a huge sweet tooth bro, if I can do it so can you. There are lots of alternatives!

Offline WannaBePadre

• Look at all of this stuff!
  • Super Sly
  • The hairs of your head have been counted (Lk 12:7)
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 09:25:23 AM »
I've been switching vegetarian on and off, and noticed that after a week or two of no-meat, no-sweets ... my cravings go away ... but after only one bite of either, the cravings come back.

What is moving me closer to total vegetarian is the effects I'm noticing in my body (i.e. weight loss, more energy, overall mood.)

It's also raising the question of how many hormones and drugs remain in meat -- i.e. is it the meat that does that, or where the meat has been?
Nothing says 'God loves you' more than a bald man in mirrored sunglasses.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 10:51:56 AM »
It's also raising the question of how many hormones and drugs remain in meat -- i.e. is it the meat that does that, or where the meat has been?

Spoke with a customer yesterday who was passing through town who happens to be a rancher. He is head of a co-op of beef producers that use no hormones and the cattle are range fed i.e. grass only, no grains. He said that it's available at Whole Foods market.

I'm considering trying some and see how the family likes it. Between burgers and all that good stuff, we consume at least 10-15 pounds of beef a month. That may be a little conservative too.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 11:11:35 AM »
I know some vegetarians that have gotten violently ill after "relapsing"

X The Hierophant

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 01:53:08 PM »

Spoke with a customer yesterday who was passing through town who happens to be a rancher. He is head of a co-op of beef producers that use no hormones and the cattle are range fed i.e. grass only, no grains. He said that it's available at Whole Foods market.

I love the Whole Food store ... a great place to shop  O0

X The Hierophant

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 01:53:42 PM »

I turned when I was 10, so it was easier. But dude just take some cooking classes, I've never actually used any of the recipes we made there but you learn quite a bit. I have a huge sweet tooth bro, if I can do it so can you. There are lots of alternatives!

Very true man ... I need to give it another go.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »

I love the Whole Food store ... a great place to shop  O0

Me too!  We just got a HUGE one right by my house.  So that works out great.  They have very high quality products.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

JohnMont

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 04:44:48 PM »

Lacto Ovo vegetarian for 30 years here.  I am a Vegan on Wednesdays and Fridays ; and for 40 days before Christmas and Easter for Religous reasons. 

Dont think I could go full time Vegan.  ... I LOVE dairy and eggs !