Author Topic: How long were you on the fence????  (Read 16974 times)

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
How long were you on the fence????
« on: October 02, 2007, 08:12:29 PM »
I was just sitting here reading some posts and I came across xnewyawka talking about his 2 month SLY anniversary.   I can recall not too long ago when both he and John Mont were our resident "fence-sitters".  Then it occurred to me that probably most of us on here were all "on the fence" at some point.  For me, I probably sat on the fence for at least a couple of years.  But it only took less than a week after stumbling across this site, and after getting alot of encouragement and reassurance from all of my brothers, that I could stand it no longer, and finally took the plunge.

So, all of you out there, what's your story.  How long were you on the fence??? Or were you one of those guys/gals that just knew what you wanted and went for it???

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline SlickCountry

• Sly
    • FirehouseChaplain.org
Re: How long were you on the fence????
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 09:19:59 PM »
I guess you could say that I was sort of a middle ground kind of person in this one.  I've been cutting my own hair for years.  I was doing it no guard in the summer and two to three guard in the winter.  Last summer I took my electric razor to my head.  I liked it, but it wasn't smooth.  I would say it is lake 12 hours growth no that I'm slick shaving it.  When the weather started to get warm this year, I took my Fusion to my head and haven't looked back.  For me personally getting it slick was the turning point.  Until I I felt it slick, it was just another hairstyle.  Now it is a lifestyle.  As of the 14th of this month, I've been 6 months sly with many years of sly to go!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 10:07:15 PM »
slyinkc.....1st of all gr8 post, brah.   i've always been curious on shaving my dome.  however...it wasn't until approximately january 2007 did i even became serious about headshaving.  the used2b thick hair was slowly thinning on top & i knew that in about 4-5 years that it would get worse.  so..... with the encouragement of my wifey & couple of friends i finally did the deed on april 24,2007.  i discovered the sbg forum probably a month b4 i did the deed & it helped me get off the fence.  after being a lurker/visitor i finally registered on this forum in june2007. 

so....i guess u can say that i was seriously on the fence since january 2007 & got off the fence on april 24,2007.  there is no turning back.  i am sly 4 life. O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

KALBO

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 01:10:11 PM »
9 years 31 weeks 4 days 14 hours 26 minutes and 5 seconds...

And if that were truly correct, I would have changed my SLY display name to BaldRainman...

3 months 3 weeks...etc...etc... >:D

X The Hierophant

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 02:22:26 PM »
I was only on the fence for about a week after I first thought of it.  It did take me over a month to do the deed though since I decided to ease into it by gradually doing shorter and shorter buzzes ... also I was waiting for my week and a half vacation from work so I could get used to it.  O0

BALDANDRE

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 02:40:45 PM »
Damn, I think I was on the fence for probably 3-4 years...

but that was when not many dudes buzzed if not scraped their heads clean.

I was buzzed or flattoped then, and THAT was pushin' it....

we're talkin' about 13 yrs ago 8)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 03:37:53 PM »
About four years before I actually gave it a try ... almost another two before it became a permanent thing.

shakf

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 11:06:17 PM »
Sat on the fence on and off a few times. The first time I buzzed it was in 1999 down to a #1. Then I did it again around mid 2k. I buzzed it in 2002 then 2005. I finally buzzed it down to a #0 using the WAHL balding clipper in August eventually taking the plunge about 2 weeks ago to go slick and must admit it's much more easier to maintain than buzzing it.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 05:55:21 AM »
I never really sat on the fence at all. I decided that I wanted to do it one day and have been doing it nearly on a daily basis since. Thanks to all the sly bros in here, I have learned better techniques and products that, had I not come across them, may have affected my desire to stay Sly in the beginning. O0

Offline Glenr

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 07:02:53 AM »
Mines a bit like Jdog, I needed a haircut and decided on the spot to shave it. Haven't looked back  :)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 09:22:38 AM »
I'd been buzzing my head with guard-less clippers for over 20 years. Then one day (in May 2006), I wondered "how would it look shaved?"

Grabbed my razor and went at it.

So I guess I sat on the fence for about 5 seconds or twenty years, depending upon how you look at it.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 09:52:58 AM »
I've always wondered what I would look like bald, especially given my genetic predisposition to hair loss. I seriously started thinking about it 4 months ago. I knew the tough sell would be my wife. What can I say, she's just always seen me with a decent amount of hair and wasn't sure if it would look good.

Then it hit me.....my wife and I participate in the local Heart Walk (for the past 3 years) so I'll do a head shaving fund raiser. The goal was eventually met and as of this past Saturday I am sly.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 10:59:42 AM »
I've always wondered what I would look like bald, especially given my genetic predisposition to hair loss. I seriously started thinking about it 4 months ago. I knew the tough sell would be my wife. What can I say, she's just always seen me with a decent amount of hair and wasn't sure if it would look good.

Then it hit me.....my wife and I participate in the local Heart Walk (for the past 3 years) so I'll do a head shaving fund raiser. The goal was eventually met and as of this past Saturday I am sly.

See...there's always a way, if you really want it!

Now...how do you tell her you want to STAY bald?

Looks good on ya bro! O0

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 11:05:40 AM »

See...there's always a way, if you really want it!

Now...how do you tell her you want to STAY bald?

Looks good on ya bro! O0

Thanks! I think so too. My wife was initially shocked, but it seems to be growing on here. She even commented to a friend that she thinks I want to keep it longer and didn't seem upset about that. We'll see how it goes....
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 11:07:16 AM »
Yeh ... does look very good on you BalDoug!

In my case, as I lost more hair on top I just kept buzzing it shorter & shorter at the sides ...
but it was pretty rare back then. Actually I remember, probably about 1987 or thereabouts I was at work one day, listening to the radio .... I'd been feeling pretty miserable about my ever more thinning hair ... & there was this guy being interviewed, I can't remember who he was, but seem to remember that he was an author. Anyway, the interviewer asked him why he had shaved his head completely bald & he replied that he'd been in the advanced stages of mpb & he simply, one day, got fed up of feeling like a victim all the time & took a razor to his remaining hair, he'd been completely shaved ever since & a lot happier for it as he no longer felt like a victim, & had found it to be (as we all know) a very empowering act. He also said that when he first did it it was so unusual that he used to frequently hear little kids saying to their mums "mummy, that man's got no hair!" & he could almost see them shrinking away from him! However, even back in 1987 it was becoming a bit more common place so those comments had become less frequent. I remember totally relating to what he said about the feeling like a victim bit (I was in my mid twenties then) & although I didn't shave it all off for another few years the seed had certainly been planted. Wish I could remember who the guy actually was!
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists