Author Topic: Ever been to a barber for a shave?  (Read 5202 times)

shakf

Ever been to a barber for a shave?
« on: September 29, 2007, 02:15:25 PM »
Guys. I have been to the barber for a head shave and I took my son 2 years ago for one as well. It is one of the cleanest shaves you can have done (providing the barber knows what he is doing!) The barber really lathers up properly and shaves real close using a cut throat. Anyone had one done from a barber or contemplated it?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Ever been to a barber for a shave?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 02:20:33 PM »
Guys. I have been to the barber for a head shave and I took my son 2 years ago for one as well. It is one of the cleanest shaves you can have done (providing the barber knows what he is doing!) The barber really lathers up properly and shaves real close using a cut throat. Anyone had one done from a barber or contemplated it?

I've had barbershop shaves a few times.  Most of the time they were a disappointment.  Usually they don't shave against the grain.  I can get it much smoother on my own at home.  There was one shop I went to a few times where the guy did shave against the grain but it's no longer in business. 

shakf

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 02:30:01 PM »
I think the cut throat is designed to be used with the grain doing otherwise would make your head look fairly red and cut up.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 07:35:25 PM »
Never had one.  I figured that if I ever let mine grow out for a few days I might treat myself with one.  But I've never went longer than 2 days, and that only on rare occasions.  Just didn't seem like it would be worth the expense.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 07:59:13 PM »
Went to a barber for a shave only once.   Great experience, but he just didn't get it as slick and smooth as I can myself, so I never went back.  Besides, no way I could go several days without shaving.   :P
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 10:32:09 PM »
Actually guys.. i dont think the barbers can do the shaving anymore.  I had thought about going to get a shave at the barber....but last time I was in there...i remember the barber saying that for health reasons they can not use the razors anymore...cause if someone gets cut....and with the diseases that are around...the Board of health has stopped it..but a ban to it.  He said he can only shave it the customer brings in his own blades.  So I dunno...because I thought it woudl be neat to set up shop somewhere just for guys who like to have their heads shaved.....but doubt it if it would go over very well.  Have some nice looking hotties doing the shaving..ya know ..Like Hooter girls....set up in airports..like a shoe shine boy.  Never know...might happen some day.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 12:10:35 AM »
Actually guys.. i dont think the barbers can do the shaving anymore.  I had thought about going to get a shave at the barber....but last time I was in there...i remember the barber saying that for health reasons they can not use the razors anymore...cause if someone gets cut....and with the diseases that are around...the Board of health has stopped it..but a ban to it.  He said he can only shave it the customer brings in his own blades.  So I dunno...because I thought it woudl be neat to set up shop somewhere just for guys who like to have their heads shaved.....but doubt it if it would go over very well.  Have some nice looking hotties doing the shaving..ya know ..Like Hooter girls....set up in airports..like a shoe shine boy.  Never know...might happen some day.

Barbers still do shaves in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.  Any bans would be at the state or local levels.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ChallengeMe

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 10:27:13 PM »
Why would I want to pay someone to do something I can do better myself? One advantage to shaving my head is I enjoy doing it myself.

Also, one reason I started shaving my head was to avoid putting out my money for haircuts.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 07:47:03 PM »
GOOD POINT ChallengeMe!  I dunno..just like us Americans...always gotta find a way to spend money dont we? 

Offline Oto

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 02:11:21 AM »
I had my head done by some barbers and that was always cool. Some of them are real good at that and like to do the job. They use disosable razors these days, so there's no danger.

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 02:39:12 AM »
Why would I want to pay someone to do something I can do better myself? One advantage to shaving my head is I enjoy doing it myself.

Also, one reason I started shaving my head was to avoid putting out my money for haircuts.

Absolutely! Couldn't have put it any better than that!

Actually I remember the last time I went to a barbers ... must've been in my early twenties when I still had some, by that time, badly thinning hair & it was a thoroughly depressing experience .... I couldn't imagine going in & asking for a shave ... just seems a bit pointless. Though I must admit ... wouldn't mind trying one of those old cut throat razors ... but I'd be surprised if many barbers actually still use those these days.
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

shakf

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 06:59:13 AM »
Yes a lot of the traditional barbers use cut throats with disposable blades.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 08:42:19 AM »
my wifey is my personal headshaver & she does a gr8 job of keeping the dome smooth.  however.... after reading tyler's review on the art of shaving barber spa...i do want 2 try a headshave (atleast once) there next time i visit atlanta or california. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 10:25:50 PM »
I have never had a head shave by a barber.  But 2 yrs ago I was on a business trip to Miami and passed by a place called "The Art of Shaving" at the Shops At Bal Harbor in Miami Beach.  They offered a head shave.  At that time, I believe that it was for $35.  Unfortunately, I had just shaved my head, so I didn't need one.  But it was enticing.  Anyway, has anyone ever gotten a head shave by them?

Enter your email address: