Author Topic: Pizza!!!  (Read 26989 times)

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
Re: Pizza!!!
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »
Andy

That $60.00 broke me so I starved the rest of the trip

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »
Oh please, you're richer than God :D

You probably jumped in a cab after you finished your sandwiches and went to Buckingham Palace to buy a $50 postcard.

:)

Slynito

« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »
I bet they are cheaper by the dozen.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2011, 01:51:38 PM »
Harrods has one purpose in life. To screw as much money out of American and Japanese tourists as possible, and they've turned it into an art form, far more so than any other company. I have no idea what people see in the place. Its filled with overpriced crap that not a single person on the planet could ever possibly want, and that includes a $60 sandwich bill.

I cant bear the thought of tourists coming to the UK and thinking 'OMG OMG OMG we absolutely MUST go to Harrods because its just so quaint and Lady Di used to go there all the time!!!!!'.

Its a department store stocked with crap. More crap than any other department store, and they're all stocked with crap. And its such horribly overpriced crap.

But if ever anyone wants to see 50000000 American tourists buying chocolate covered quail eggs filled with duck liver pate, all wearing plaid trousers and beige raincoats made by London Fog (because obviously, everyone in the UK wears a raincoat  ::) and because obviously, its always foggy in London  ::)), then Harrods is the place to go.

My father used to work for Harrods.

Don't hold back now, let it all out. It will do you a lot of good....LOL.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2011, 01:54:07 PM »
Down South we call them, "Yankee Traps".   :*)) :*)) :*))

The British consider us all Yankees. That must drive you Southerners nuts.

Slynito

« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2011, 01:56:18 PM »
Down South we call them, "Yankee Traps".   :*)) :*)) :*))

The British consider us all Yankees. That must drive you Southerners nuts.

p0@^ p0@^ p0@^ p0@^

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2011, 02:00:03 PM »
Yup, thats what it is, along with Buckingham Palace, Madame Tussauds and several other places. Harrods now opens its Christmas decorations department in July so that Marge and Herbert Egelberger from Des Moines can buy themselves a nice $400 bauble to put on their Christmas tree in December, when they visit London, England on their once-in-a-lifetime summer vacation.

(and why is it always London England, and not just London? I know there's a London in Canada and a London in Kentucky, but even if most Americans are talking about Khartoum or Ras al Khaimah, its never JUST Khartoum or Ras al Khaimah, its Khartoum Sudan and Ras al Khaimah United Arab Emirates. What, like there's a Ras al Khaimah in Utah too?)

When I go to America, I'm very happy to buy myself a pair of $5 socks when I'm in Macys, and because I have a UK passport, I get a further 11% off :D Or even better, the same socks in Walmart for $2.98 without an 11% discount :D

OK I'll bite. Why does a UK passport get you an 11% discount in Macy's.?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2011, 02:35:42 PM »
Yup, thats what it is, along with Buckingham Palace, Madame Tussauds and several other places. Harrods now opens its Christmas decorations department in July so that Marge and Herbert Egelberger from Des Moines can buy themselves a nice $400 bauble to put on their Christmas tree in December, when they visit London, England on their once-in-a-lifetime summer vacation.

(and why is it always London England, and not just London? I know there's a London in Canada and a London in Kentucky, but even if most Americans are talking about Khartoum or Ras al Khaimah, its never JUST Khartoum or Ras al Khaimah, its Khartoum Sudan and Ras al Khaimah United Arab Emirates. What, like there's a Ras al Khaimah in Utah too?)

When I go to America, I'm very happy to buy myself a pair of $5 socks when I'm in Macys, and because I have a UK passport, I get a further 11% off :D Or even better, the same socks in Walmart for $2.98 without an 11% discount :D

OK I'll bite. Why does a UK passport get you an 11% discount in Macy's.?

I was wondering the same thing.  Maybe he's buying in a state that has sales tax on clothes and is entitled to a refund? But that wouldn't come to 11%.   ???

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »
Maybe we can get an 11% discount at Harrods with our US passports..

Offline MikeM

• Sly
  • With two ears and 50 pounds of kid.
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »
Maybe we can get an 11% discount at Harrods with our US passports..

Er, actually...

It varies by country and product, but it's from about 15% - 25%. And a royal pain.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/faqs/vat-customs/vat-refund