Author Topic: Back after a very long time  (Read 2225 times)

Offline YorkshireTerrier

• Learning the way of Sly
Back after a very long time
« on: February 15, 2024, 12:08:23 PM »
Hi All,

No one here will remember me, mainly because I couldn't remember my username.  However, I joined this forum back in probably about 2008 when I was 30 or so and really struggling to get to grips with hair loss.  The guys here were incredible and I still stay in touch with one or two (is Sly Red still around). 

Back then I was depressed, obsessed with the shape of my dome, and constantly seeking reassurance that I looked ok.  Well let me tell you - fast forward 16 years (is it really that long?) and two children later and a brilliant life, I can say that I don't give my hair, or lack of it a second thought.  In fact I prefer it (never thought I would say that).  In truth now, if you offered me a miracle cure - I wouldn't take it. 

I was thinking about this site the other day and how it helped me and made a mental note to come back and say hi, and hopefully hang around a bit to give back a little of what you guys gave me. 

Much love

Chris

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Back after a very long time
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 06:03:15 AM »
Welcome back! I joined in 2013, so I wouldn't remember you. Not much activity here anymore. Probably because shaved heads are so popular these days, guys don't need much support. I often wonder how many members keep shaving after they leave this site.

Anyway, thanks for the update, glad you're doing well!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 02:00:49 PM »
Welcome back! I joined in 2011 when I first contemplated shaving my head.  Glad to hear that you are happy with your family and your hairstyle.

Despite shaved heads being more common and acceptable these days, I'm sure a lot of guys struggle with their hair loss and what to do about it.  Taking the step to go bald can be very daunting.  I know I worried about my head shape, what others would think, etc.  Fortunately I took the leap and am glad I did. 

As Reddog said, the site is kind of slow these days.  Many guys who regularly posted when I joined have drifted away.  It's a shame because this site offered great support to others and had other interesting conversations going on as well.

Maybe we can revitalize it?

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 09:03:42 AM »
Welcome back! I joined in 2011 when I first contemplated shaving my head.  Glad to hear that you are happy with your family and your hairstyle.

Despite shaved heads being more common and acceptable these days, I'm sure a lot of guys struggle with their hair loss and what to do about it.  Taking the step to go bald can be very daunting.  I know I worried about my head shape, what others would think, etc.  Fortunately I took the leap and am glad I did. 

As Reddog said, the site is kind of slow these days.  Many guys who regularly posted when I joined have drifted away.  It's a shame because this site offered great support to others and had other interesting conversations going on as well.

I agree I hope that this site picks up again because it was very important to me when I first started shaving my head.  When I first started shaving my head it was absolutely not common especially for a guy with a full head of hair then I got a lot of flack for it and the only place I found that people understood my appreciation of a shaved head as a haircut choice was here on this board

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 11:25:00 AM »
I joined this page seven years ago when I was on the fence about keeping my head shaved.  This site is the only forum I?ve ever been a part of that has never had any negativity whatsoever.  That?s unheard of in today?s world. 
I appreciate the positive support and advice I?ve gotten here.  I hope that the page picks up as well.   I?ll try to do my part to keep this site active. 

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 01:30:50 PM »

I agree I hope that this site picks up again because it was very important to me when I first started shaving my head.  When I first started shaving my head it was absolutely not common especially for a guy with a full head of hair then I got a lot of flack for it and the only place I found that people understood my appreciation of a shaved head as a haircut choice was here on this board

Semi-sly,

I know what you mean about when it was uncommon for a guy with a full head of hair to shave it off.  Head shaving back then seemed to have a negative connotation unless a guy was really balding and head shaving was a last resort.

I had a decent head of hair (some receding at the temples and a small bald spot on the crown), but I really had the urge to experience a shaved head.  I worked at a very conservative company ("dress down" meant sports coat and tie instead of suit and tie!), so there was no one there who could offer advice and support.  I found this site almost by accident and immediately felt welcome.  The guys then gave me advice about head shaving, but more importantly, they gave me support and helped me realize that there will always be naysayers, but their opinions wouldn't matter.

I took the plunge and have been bald for thirteen years.  I even went for laser treatments to diminish the shadow I had.  At every step, I found support and encouragement here.

Even if traffic is down, it's still a great forum.

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 01:44:42 PM »
I had a full head of hair as well before I started shaving.  I?ve kept myself bald for over three years now and had six laser treatments last year.  I gave up because it couldn?t get rid of the grey.  I?m happy with the results.  There?s no noticeable shadow anymore. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 06:26:03 AM »
Kudos to you guys that have the dedication to do laser treatments! My hair was snow white before my first headshave, or I would have considered laser. I guess it does take some dedication to have a full head of hair and shave it daily though!

I never had to deal with any shadow, with the white hair. Even when I attempt to grow it back, it takes quite a while before you can really see the new growth. I think having a nicely tanned head makes your bald head look great. Once I was in a store and a gal was following behind me, and when I turned around she commented that I had very healthy looking skin!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 12:17:38 PM »
I had a full head of hair as well before I started shaving.  I?ve kept myself bald for over three years now and had six laser treatments last year.  I gave up because it couldn?t get rid of the grey.  I?m happy with the results.  There?s no noticeable shadow anymore. 

I had a lot of gray hair mixed in with dark brown.  The laser did a good job on the brown, but as you know, was ineffective on the gray.  I don't mind shaving which I do every second or third day and I like the lack of a shadow.

Both my passport and driver's license list me as "bald", so it's part of my identity now!

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 07:55:21 PM »
I?m looking forward to warmer weather and getting a better tan on my head.  I remember how white my scalp was when I first shaved and it took a while for the color to even out.  I?m happy with the results of laser treatment as it got rid of the shadow.  My driver?s license is up for renewal in August and it?ll be nice to have my current look on it. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 05:13:14 AM »
@chuck63 , I get free tanning at my gym, so I can keep a nice tan all winter. I know, I know, it's not good for you, but I only tan for about 8 minutes once a week. A nice tan and really shiny is my favorite look.

Minnesota no longer states hair color on drivers licenses, but I remember about 5 years ago I was happy to get my first baldie photo when I renewed.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 10:54:02 AM »
I joined this page seven years ago when I was on the fence about keeping my head shaved.  This site is the only forum I?ve ever been a part of that has never had any negativity whatsoever.  That?s unheard of in today?s world. 
I appreciate the positive support and advice I?ve gotten here.  I hope that the page picks up as well.   I?ll try to do my part to keep this site active.

So true! The support and advice here have always been amazing. I was looking at Reddit and could not believe how nasty people were to each other. A little bit of kindness goes a long way! Especially when it applies to how people feel about themselves.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 11:00:18 AM »
I cannnot eleive I signed up here and created my profile in February 2007! It ismy 17th anniversary.  First shave was 2006. I had pretty much full head of hair back then.

My first post started with ?This is a cool website! Gotta love the bald brotherhood.?

Do people even use the word cool anymore!?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 06:14:13 AM by Razorhead »

Enter your email address: