Author Topic: Headshaving routines  (Read 1570 times)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Headshaving routines
« on: November 05, 2023, 05:29:18 AM »
After reading posts here, I was thinking about how everyone has their own routine for shaving. There are so many different razors, soaps, creams, lotions, and products. Everyone develops a process that works for themselves, but we are always searching for something better. Our routines are very different, but our goal is the same, A smooth shaved bald head. Thank you to all the guys that share info here, it helps the newbies as well as the veteran shavers!

Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline chuck63

• Sly
Re: Headshaving routines
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 12:13:37 PM »
I shave my head in the shower.  The steam softens up my hair and it’s an easy clean up when done.  I bought a shower mirror a few months ago when Bed, Bath & Beyond closed.  It’s nice to be able to see what I’m doing instead of relying on feel.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 12:42:31 PM »
Hi @chuck63 , I'm shave daily in the shower. I always start with the back of my head, then the sides, and then the top of my head last. I go over the top several times because I like it bbs! Sometimes I finish with a little hair conditioner, nothing like the feel of a totally smooth bald head!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 08:23:19 PM »
I shave every morning in the shower with my Gillette Baldly, and almost every evening at the sink with my mug, brush and double edge. I scrub the scalp with kosher salt just about every day before I start. It really seems to help get the hairs to start up somehow.
I always start at the left temple, and work my way around the back to my right. I also shave against the grain.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 08:26:22 AM »
@Cave Dweller how do you like the Gillette baldy? Any real noticeable difference in how it works and smoothness of the shave?

My process is pretty simple.  I shave in the shower. Wash my head with regular bar soap. I use a Gillette Fusion razor and Aveeno shaving gel. I have a shower mirror but I rely mostly on feel. I take my first swipe up the middle and finish the top, then right side, ledpft side and back. Behind the back of my left ear is always the trouble spot. I wash again with bar soap. Once I am out of the shower, I use witch hazel and either moisturizer or aloe gel.

I use to use king of shave oil as a base layer before applying the shaving cream. But I find that a five blade works just as well to avoid redness.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 08:29:10 AM »
@Cave Dweller how do you like the Gillette baldy? Any real noticeable difference in how it works and smoothness of the shave?

@Razorhead: I was skeptical at first, but the design of the blade truly works better on my scalp than the Fusion. The blade has the same attachment parts as the other Gillette blades, so it fits on my Fusion handle.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 07:37:53 AM »
I rinse my scalp about 8 tiimes then put conditioner on it and by they time, my hair is so soft, it cuts like butter.  I keep my thumb on the edge so as to get a good bite.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 10:09:10 AM »
I find that if I try to shave every day I never get a good shave.  So having almost colorless hair anyway I can get away with shaving it two or three times a week and that way I get a smoother Shave.

I scrub my scalp thoroughly with hot water in the shower .  Then I get out of the shower use a few drops of shaving oil on my scalp and then a layer of shaving cream.  I then shave my head with a good multi blade razor.