Author Topic: Significant Others & Mothers | Section 6  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Significant Others & Mothers | Section 6
« on: September 16, 2023, 09:37:29 PM »
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT ask your significant other or your mother for permission to shave your head. IT’S NOT THEIR DECISION! IT’S YOUR DECISION! Don’t even talk about it with them before you do. Trust me and the thousands of guys before you that have learned this lesson.

These are the two people in your life that will be the most resistant to you shaving your head. God only knows why this is the case, but it’s a truth that you need to be aware of. In the end they will be much happier when you have increased confidence, but early on they are likely going to be the people that make a negative comment. Be prepared for it and be prepared to let it roll off you like water to Teflon. A quick retort that you can use is, “What? You don’t want me looking like a bad ass?” with a smirk on your face and a wink.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Significant Others & Mothers | Section 6
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 05:53:04 AM »
I didn't ask for permission from my significant other, but I discussed getting a buzzcut with her. Of course she was not supportive of that! So the next morning I gave myself a very short buzzcut, didn't like it, so I razor shaved it. After the initial shock, she told me later that day she loved it, and wanted me to keep it shaved bald!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 08:00:52 AM »
Before I shaved my head for the first time seven years ago, I talked to my wife about it and she was supportive.  I’m glad, because I wouldn’t have shaved if she didn’t want me to. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 01:37:41 PM »
Before I shaved my head for the first time seven years ago, I talked to my wife about it and she was supportive.  I’m glad, because I wouldn’t have shaved if she didn’t want me to.

That's why I say to not ask. If she would have objected you wouldn't be as happy as you are today.

Many men will put their own needs aside to appease their wife or lover in the short-term. The problem is that over time that an cause resentment and break down the relationship because the man's confidence continues to erode.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 03:27:55 PM »
I am happy that I was just lucky. My mother never liked my hair, not even a buzzcut, and always had a comment on it. And  not that I ever had a wild haircut. When I shaved it off she just liked it and it was like nothing happened. My partner met me when I was bald, so it was never an issue. At times when I grew my hair and was getting the itch to shave again, I did give a heads up and just did it. 

But I agree. If you want to shave just do it. You don’t need permission.  It’s just hair and it will grow back. Something sparked the idea in your head whether if it’s dealing with hair loss or you just don’t like your hair to begin with. Once you get the idea, its like a bug that’s tough to let go.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 06:47:22 AM »
I did not ask or discuss with either, and both were shocked.
SlyBeard

Offline cmac

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 04:09:06 PM »
@Razorhead

Could not agree more on once you get the itch to do it, its hard to let go off and once you do it, its hard to even think about growing it back.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 05:32:06 PM »
Does your significant other or your mother let you tell them how to wear their hair?

So why would you ask them how you should cut your own hair?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 05:54:30 PM »
!Don’t even talk about it with them before you do.

Exactly!!  👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 10:46:47 AM »
I think all of us here would agree that going from hair to a completely bald head is a big change.  I stand by my decision to talk to my wife before shaving mine the first time.  I went back and forth with it for a few years.  I surprised her with a bald head several times. About two years ago she told me she didn’t think I’d ever grow my hair back and she was right.  I talked to her about laser before I decided to start that.  Early on into our marriage, I came home and she surprised me with a chin length bob, after having shoulder length hair before    I liked the way it looked.  She talked to me before getting a pixie haircut a few months later.  I liked that haircut even better and she’s kept it that way since.   She said that I’m the only guy she’s ever known that likes short hair. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2023, 02:16:56 AM »
17 years of running this site has taught me that 99% of men regretted discussing it with their spouse before shaving as it caused many of them to delay the inevitable. So I stand behind my advice to not discuss it before shaving.

It's also not that big of deal to shave it, regardless of how much hair you start with. Especially nowadays with so many men shaving their head.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2023, 10:55:14 AM »
17 years of running this site has taught me that 99% of men regretted discussing it with their spouse before shaving as it caused many of them to delay the inevitable. So I stand behind my advice to not discuss it before shaving.

I agree. They will only try to talk you out if it.

It's also not that big of deal to shave it, regardless of how much hair you start with. Especially nowadays with so many men shaving their head.

It’s a bigger deal than I thought it would be by now.  I thought we’d reached a point where it wasn’t a big deal, but a lot of younger guys still struggle with taking the plunge.  They have more options than the generations that preceded them but a lot of them still find it difficult.

I always say that I’d love to be a 20 year old with a shaved head today.   When I actually was 20 years old, it wasn’t considered an acceptable look.  It’s different nowadays and I think it would be great to be able to get used to the look while still in college where there is a lot of leeway to experiment with one’s personal appearance before venturing out into the working world.  But I suppose someone my age looking back, looks at it differently than someone who is that age and currently going through it.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2023, 12:34:39 PM »
@Razor X  you make so many great points. I think we spend way too much time trying to please others and not ourselves. Like you I probably would have buzzed or shaved my head a lot sooner. And at least gotten more adventurous haircuts like a mullet or a Mohawk. Shaving your head is just another haircut. And personally I found it liberating when I did the deed.I’ve only received a lot of compliments and only one person who didn’t like it. When I had a “normal” haircut, people would only make comments like “your hair is turning very grey. You should try coloring it” or “your hair is so boofy in front” or “who cut your hair and why is that piece there”. Ugh…..shaving it was life changing.