Author Topic: Targeted Ads using bald models? WTF.  (Read 2892 times)

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Targeted Ads using bald models? WTF.
« on: July 12, 2019, 02:24:58 PM »
Have you guys been noticing more ads targeted to you with bald guys in the photos?  I have. I get ads like this from a variety of sources.

Perhaps Google, et al, have picked up the fact a bald? Or bald dudes in advertising is the 'in thing"?  idk. I say 25% of the sh*t I get, unsolicited, has a pic of someone with a bald head trying to sell me something.

BTW, I still get spam for products to save my hair. Pft!

Offline terago

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Targeted Ads using bald models? WTF.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 03:49:13 PM »
you get acookie on your pc of every website you visit and thats how they know what ads to show for you

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 05:49:54 PM »
It would be interesting if ad companies started targeting hairstyles, but my guess is that more ads are using "racially ambiguous" models and having a shaved head helps with racial ambiguity.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 10:38:12 AM »
you get acookie on your pc of every website you visit and thats how they know what ads to show for you
My browser is set to reject 3rd party cookies, but FB and Google know more about us the our government(s).

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 11:39:42 AM »
There are so many more headshavers now. I also tend to notice sly guys more since joining the brotherhood. Also, the ad companies might think a bald guy is more noticeable to watchers.

I get a chuckle out of the one where the young guy says he isn't bald, but has to shave his head because his insurance is so high he can't afford to go to the barber for a haircut.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 11:58:54 PM »
There are so many more headshavers now. I also tend to notice sly guys more since joining the brotherhood. Also, the ad companies might think a bald guy is more noticeable to watchers.

I get a chuckle out of the one where the young guy says he isn't bald, but has to shave his head because his insurance is so high he can't afford to go to the barber for a haircut.
I agree, more headshavers now. 15 years ago there were few guys like me, esp younger dudes. Now, I see I see others like us all the time.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 12:29:08 AM »
My browser is set to reject 3rd party cookies, but FB and Google know more about us the our government(s).

I beg to differ.   I am recentlly retired from the  Government.  Inasmuch as we have full access to everything  Apple, Googe, Microsoft, your ISP provider, etc. collects AND we have all kinds of juicy stuff that  we "acquire"  from off-shore so0urces  not  subject to the  Constitution or the Privacy Act, your  Government  knows MOREt you are correct, I am getting the  same targeted ads on my Apple machine - they probably placed spyware  (aka a "cookie") on your machine through SBG.

What really OUGHT to rile you more than the targeted Ads is what you are NOT getting.   zYOur ISP and your search engine actually WITHHOLD information from you that they have decided you don't need to see!  They will only show you what advertisers want you to see, what things get the most 'hits" and the things that "Yelp[" or  "pinterest" or "Farcebook" tell them is the most "releveant" (aka "popular)  This is what they call: "enhancing your internet experience"!  So even tjhough you do research,  and hyou THINK that  you are reading all of the relevant studies, data, etc. - you really aren't - so all of your conclusions are flawed (and so are everyone else's!)

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 02:25:42 PM »

I beg to differ.   I am recentlly retired from the  Government.  Inasmuch as we have full access to everything  Apple, Googe, Microsoft, your ISP provider, etc. collects AND we have all kinds of juicy stuff that  we "acquire"  from off-shore so0urces  not  subject to the  Constitution or the Privacy Act, your  Government  knows MOREt you are correct, I am getting the  same targeted ads on my Apple machine - they probably placed spyware  (aka a "cookie") on your machine through SBG.

What really OUGHT to rile you more than the targeted Ads is what you are NOT getting.   zYOur ISP and your search engine actually WITHHOLD information from you that they have decided you don't need to see!  They will only show you what advertisers want you to see, what things get the most 'hits" and the things that "Yelp[" or  "pinterest" or "Farcebook" tell them is the most "releveant" (aka "popular)  This is what they call: "enhancing your internet experience"!  So even tjhough you do research,  and hyou THINK that  you are reading all of the relevant studies, data, etc. - you really aren't - so all of your conclusions are flawed (and so are everyone else's!)
I use precautions from my ISP getting/selling my personal data, as I use a VPN, NordVPN, so f*ck Comcast. They have no visibility into my web traffic.

That said EULAs, are tipped against the consumer. For example:gmail. We agree to the terms and conditions without realizing Google scans and mines our messages; Facebook/Instagram is the more egregious. And, yes, the boundaries of our country and rights in the Constitution are sidestepped. 

It's great if the providers target us with ads from which we might benefit. But know that data is being sold to the highest bidder. The problem when we know we're being watched, we do modify our behaviors. Welcome to surveillance capitalism.

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 06:02:22 PM »
I've noticed more bald guys in advertising in general. Many TV commercials are featuring shaved heads now it seems like. Although once one starts to think about shaving their head and even after doing it, you seem to see bald heads everywhere lol.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 06:57:24 PM »
I've noticed more bald guys in advertising in general. Many TV commercials are featuring shaved heads now it seems like. Although once one starts to think about shaving their head and even after doing it, you seem to see bald heads everywhere lol.
VERY true. Like you never notice car ads until you're looking to buy a new car. Then, that's all you see.
BTW, it's so hot here I didn't shave for 2-3 days. Just miserable.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 09:32:18 PM »
Have you guys been noticing more ads targeted to you with bald guys in the photos?  I have. I get ads like this from a variety of sources.

Perhaps Google, et al, have picked up the fact a bald? Or bald dudes in advertising is the 'in thing"?  idk. I say 25% of the sh*t I get, unsolicited, has a pic of someone with a bald head trying to sell me something.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 09:26:18 PM »

i get a series like that one.

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 03:24:29 PM »
Having a bald smooth head is becoming a trend. I see a lot of balding guys go for the slick look lately.

My YouTube page and Facebook is full of products for bare dcalps like sunscreen, moisturizing...and minoxidil haha. Technology is becoming more intelligent :V