Author Topic: How long does it take to bald completely?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline dannytiger

• Sly Jr.
How long does it take to bald completely?
« on: March 26, 2019, 07:48:22 AM »
I'm curious, as I've been balding ever since my late teenage years, but extremely slowly.
Over the last 6 months however - a total different story.
I'm positive that I must have lost over half of what hair was left on top (which was not too much to begin with) and even the people around me have noticed. Is that kind of progression normal?
Don't get me wrong - I'm at peace with it, but I was genuinely surprised and I've finally shaved it all off, see my other thread
How long did take until you were completely bald? I have no comparison, as the only baldy in my family was my great-gandfather on my mother's side, who died when I was an infant. Everyone else, grandpa, dad, brother have a full head of hair.
Cheers, Dan

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: How long does it take to bald completely?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 08:13:41 AM »
I'm curious, as I've been balding ever since my late teenage years, but extremely slowly.
Over the last 6 months however - a total different story.
I'm positive that I must have lost over half of what hair was left on top (which was not too much to begin with) and even the people around me have noticed. Is that kind of progression normal?
Don't get me wrong - I'm at peace with it, but I was genuinely surprised and I've finally shaved it all off, see my other thread
How long did take until you were completely bald? I have no comparison, as the only baldy in my family was my great-gandfather on my mother's side, who died when I was an infant. Everyone else, grandpa, dad, brother have a full head of hair.
Cheers, Dan
That's a good question. In short, we're all different so that rate of balding will be unique to each person.

I also started loosing hair as a teenager. (Not fun.) I was in denial, but I started slowly (3-4 years) thinning to a Norwood 3v by age 20. I noticed the thinning but didn't realize my hairline was receding, too. Then, the loss accelerated after age 21.

Then it was like a 12-18 month span it advanced to NW5-6 with the dreaded island in the front. I would wake each morning and examine my hairline think WTF. I wanted to get mad at someone but that someone was myself.

Well, the test of the story is common to most the dudes here. Although it was a winding road, I love my identity as a bald man now. It shaped who I am.

At the time,I didn't even know the Norwood scale as I do now, but my diagnosis is prob accurate based on what I know now.

For guys like us, it's almost great that we get over the hump young because I have peers in their 30s and 40s, who are just now balding, and are freaking out. I try not to be smug and offer advice only if asked.