Author Topic: Celebrity encounters  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Celebrity encounters
« on: March 25, 2019, 02:27:13 PM »
Have any of you had a celebrity encounter before?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Celebrity encounters
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
A few. I’ve met Richard Sterban from the Oak Ridge Boys, The Judds, and Ann Jillian. 

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:17:41 PM »
, but I don't talk about them.  These people need to have some sane time where they can just be normal folks and not have to worry about some idiot like me posting on the "anti-social media" pages about where I saw them last nigh, who or what they were doing, drinking, eating, etc.   the twit-net about who I was with laswt night and whether or not they had a few drinks, etc. etc.

In one of my former careers I sometimes had to work with famous, (some even infamous) people.  Sometimes I had to be part of their personal security detail.  Myh impression was that a lot of them were overworked to the point of exhaustion and it was affecting their judgment.

At Burningman, if you are looking) you will spot some really famous celebs in both the entertainment and technology industries, especially at night whtn some of them shake off their bodyguards so that they can just wander around the various art works and live performance venues.  (What is often a dead give away is their overdressed "Sparkle Pony" girlfriends who are hanging on them like a cheap suit!).  But at Burningman yhou need tgo LEAVE THESE PEOPLE ALONE!!!!!  L

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 01:02:14 AM »
In the US... twice. James Taylor, on a street on the Upper West side of Manhattan, and in Seattle, Chris Gregoire, in  Nordstrom's, downtown, Seattle.

In Israel, constantly, all the time. It's a small country, you say hi (or wave) to acknowledge them if you are a fan, and then you use your judgment. Privacy and space norms here are far different from the USA.

LOL, there is no idea of "personal space".

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 04:24:26 AM »
I tend to be totally oblivious to these sort of things, I've had people point them out at times.
One time I was in a local Thai Resturant with a cycling group and just a couple tables over was Lleyton and Bec Hewitt and their family and friends having a good time, and no-one was bothering them.

And more than once when I worked in petrol stations I have had a female go gaa-gaa over a customer and I asked them what was up and they pointed out that they were stars from one of our local AFL teams, Aussie Rules Football, national league.
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 01:16:29 PM »
When I lived in San Francisco I would see famous people out to dinner like Robert Redford, Danny Devito, Arnold Schwarzenegger but never approached any of them. Once took a leak next to Danny Devito in the restroom. What the heck would I say there. Use to hire some celebrities to speak at work engagements, James Earl Jones, Doris Kerns Goodwin, James Carville, etc. just seemed like normal people. Rode the elevator with Britney Spears, Pierce Brosnan, etc. Never acknowledged them. Once I push Stacey Keach out of my way at a bar in DC to ordere drinks for my clients. Did not realize it was him until aferwards. Saw Laura Bush shopping with security detail.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:21:04 PM by PDXGuy »

Offline artudo123

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 05:59:48 PM »
I've gone to a lot of TV show tapings which I guess you could say I purposely set myself up to encounter celebrities.

I've been to Los Angeles several times and have gone to tapings of Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, The Price Is Right, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, The Talk, Malibu Country (sitcom on-air for 1 season starring Reba McEntire). Pat & Vanna only say a quick hello the audience. Alex Trebek spends most of his time during commercial breaks talking to the audience. Drew Carey had to be pulled away by the producers because he could not stop chatting up the audience. Jay Leno came out before the taping and briefly spoke to people in the front-row. The cast of Malibu Country didn't speak to the audience neither did the cast of The Talk.

I also went to a taping of Judge Mathis in Chicago and while he doesn't talk to the audience during the tape, he did stop for photographs at the entrance to the studio.

Last year I went to New York City and went to tapings of Maury, Rachael Ray, The People's Court and The View. Maury didn't say squat to the audience. Rachael Ray didn't speak to the audience individually but briefly told us at large that she was exhausted. The majority of the cast of The View didn't speak to the audience. Whoopi came down and congratulated a couple on getting married and briefly spoke to my mom and I. Meghan McCain offered to take a picture with us after my mom told Whoopi that Meghan was her favourite co-host. Judge Milian of The People's Court took a few questions from the audience and agreed to take pictures with us.

As for celebrities I've seen on the street? I once served famous Canadian figure skater Kurt Browning when I worked in a movie theatre. I was once on a plane with former Canadian national news anchor Lloyd Robertson and a couple Canadian federal cabinet ministers.

I'm pretty shy myself so I don't think I'd ever approach a celebrity outside of a formal event or TV taping.

I was once in the public eye myself. I was in a nationally televised public service announcement for 2 weeks back in 2013 and it got a lot of airtime. I was getting texts from friends around the country saying they saw it air during commercial breaks when Ellen, the news or The Daily Show was on. I also had a lot of members of the public coming up to me at work saying I looked like that guy from the PSA.

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 01:24:24 PM »
I saw johnny depp once.he was in oshkosh,wi.doing a gangster movie in the downtown area.it was several years ago and they did a part of the film in a old downtown area.plus the had old gangster looking cars their that people around the area brought to be a part of the movie.I was not very close to him but it was still exiting to watch johnny depp act his part.dowtown oshkosh has a lot of old buildings.and wisconsin is known for a lot of collector cars.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »
I hugged and kissed Meryl Streep in the cheek. At Lafayette College where her brother went to college.

Enter your email address: